Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched and read many tire threads already. But I still want some input to my situation right now. New owner to a 2013 FJ! Love it!

Driving ... City and Highway road trips. Rain, some snow. Occasional desert trips and some fire roads. Maybe "wheelin" every now and then for kicks. But most my adventures have highway miles.

I have the Dunlop GrandTrek AT20 265/70/17 at a weight of 39lbs and Diameter of 31.7inches.

Is it worth it to change out the tires now and sell the Dunlops for some cash as they are new. Other contenders are Falken AT, Nitto Terra Grappler, TOYO AT, Duratrac, GoodYear SA. Sizes 265/70/17 vs 275/70/17 vs 285/70/17.

At this point I'm leaning towards 265/70/17 or maybe 275/70/17. I may put the 5100s on in the near future to level.

Reason to consider new tires ... LOOKS and performance. So I'm confused, are the above mentioned tires a great improvement? And with the 5100s what size tire? Just looking for fresh input. I have read lots of tire reviews and tire size threads on this forum.

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
G'day jayzoid,
congrats on the new ride ... and glad you are loving it.. its an awesome machine .
You have a couple of options... all depends on your budget..
1. swap out the stockers for a new slightly more aggressive A/T .. I'm running Cooper AT3's in 275/70/r17 a great all rounder IMHO, don't need to do the BMC. Any A/T will improve your off road ability over the stockers...
and either sell your stockers, or keep them and run 2 sets of tyres ... switching them depending on your need ... of course you would need a second set of rims ..
If you want to do more off roading you might consider 285's but for highway miles, not needed ( except for looks)
Personally, I didn't bother running a second set of tires, too much hassle... the coopers are a good mix for highway and fire trails etc and quiet too...
Not sure this helps.. but something to ponder..

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had my stock dunlops on for 20K so far - they've been fine for the occasional off road stuff I do - haven't gotten stuck once yet.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
discount tire took mine in trade. i didnt get much since they arent really worth much. i thought about running two sets. but decided the hassle wasnt worth it and i didnt want to store 5 tires.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
As FJNewb said the tires are the single biggest upgrade you can do for your offroad performance. I personally run Toyo Open Country AT's in the stock 265 size. They have exceeded my expectations. I have wheeled with others that have had more aggressive tires and done just fine. However, if I were to upgrade a set of Duratracs in 285 would be my first choice. With no lift you should be able to run 285's but a body mount chop will likely be necessary, although if you can get the alignment just right you can get by without. The downfall of a larger tire is more weight resulting in lower mileage. This can be slightly deceiving however because your speedo is calibrated for the stock size and you will be traveling slightly further on larger tires than on smaller.

My tires:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Well, unless you plan on immediately wheeling I would hold off. Unless you have the spare cash that is. New tires for this truck (especially a good AT/MT) will run you over $1000. Which I why I still have "normal" tires on mine. They were on when I bought the truck a few months ago. I'll most likely go Duratrac when I do change.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It really depends on what you mean down there by "wheelin". If it involves much mud, then you must change tires, otherwise the stock tires are fine. Out here in the western U.S., it is mostly dry, and I have had no problems with the tires on rocky dirt trails we have here in the Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains. Likewise, I have had no real problems climbing loose, dusty hills. Sometimes it would be nice to have lugs to get a bite on a rocky ledge to get up, but it's not a real problem. I have decided to wear out the stock tires, since mine is a daily driver, and I often drive over 100 miles to get to the area I am going camping. When these wear out, I will probably replace with an AT tire rather than MT, since I seldom encounter mud. Looking at the feasibility of Toyo Open Country AT II in a 285/75R18. But I will have plenty of time to decide.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I agree with most all that's already been mentioned. That said, I'll add my 2 cents..... If most all of your driving is paved roads and highway, run the Dunlops till they wear out and save you bones for a nice set of good tires. They'll do "o.k." in the snow and down easy fire service roads.

Also remember that going up in tire size and going to a more aggressive or softer compound rubber will cost you at the pump. How much depends on what you do, your driving style, the climate you drive in and what type of driving you do.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to run the Dunlops for a bit, but might upgrade to the new Toyo Open Country AT II's. Found them on TireCrawler for $177 and Toyo gives you a 45 day / 500 mile buy back offer if you don't like em. I'm thinking stock size. The other choice is E rated LT or P that are C rated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts