Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Putting 12" JBL sub and was thinking about keeping the 8" sub for mid bass sound too?

• Keep the factory 8" sub?

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Kill the 8" sub?

Votes: 9 75.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in a 12" sub and was thinking of keeping the 8" factory sub and running it off my too amp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The factory sub is garbage....Pull that out and put an aftermarket sub in the stock enclosure. I put in a Rockford Fosgate 8" that was like $80 and it sounds really good. I mounted an old Phoenix Gold amp under the drivers seat and took out the factory amp that was in the sub enclosure. The factory sub feels like a paper weight in comparison to a real sub and if you put any kind of power to it from an aftermarket amp, that thing is going to blow quick.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What is the factory amp rated at?

·
Registered
125 Posts
As people mentioned here, the factory sub is garbage. If you're already putting a 12 with it's own amp, there's no reason why you would need the factory sub running.

In fact, it might sound crappy having an 8in and a 12in from different brands, different enclosures and different specs running together.

1 12in subwoofer in a good enclosure is plenty enough of bass.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'm killing the 8" sub and OEM amp!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts