Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my left axle seal is leaking again(shocking!) and just happened to grab hold of the inner cup where it goes into the front diff and noticed it had a bit of play in it when moved vertically and horizontally . I checked to see how much play was in the right hand side and it has a bit play but not as much as the left one. I was wondering if you guys know if there is a bearing in that area that could be worn out? I have a 2008 with 50k miles and I also have 3" lift with a diff drop and swaybar relocate kit.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
The left (driver's side) front axle doesn't have it's own bearing the axle housing like the right side does, because it is so short, it just rides in the differential carrier bearing. That's the advantage of the clamshell-type diff; you can make everything real close to the diff especially on one side of an off-center diff. Highly unlikely that this bearing would be worn; much more likely that your CV joint is worn a little bit.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Mine have the same, and I only have 26K on a 2007. I think it's normal. Now if you are hearing clicking or popping, there's a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts