Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Titianium--it's a small black box bolted into the bottom of the truck where the cargo bay is in the back. I don't have a picture because my rig is at the dealership waiting for the part to arrive, but I recall it being about 2.5 inches thick and about an 8 inch square.

It's pretty far out of the way, and I don't think *most* people damage theirs...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
can somebody post a picture of this "carbon canister" thing? where is it located?

the only thing I saw in the intake was carbon net, which I cut away as soon as I saw it
It's a rectangular plastic box mounted under the rear cargo floor. You can see it clearly by looking up and behind the rear bumper. You can't miss it.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
3 Posts
No unfortunately the emission warranty is over. Vehicle has 128,000 kms on it. The hoses were checked and are all good. These are the codes that came up p043e, po43f, p2401, p2402, p2419. Under the Toyota bulletin, these codes mean the canister needs to be replaced.

I just want to know if there is a concern not replacing a faulty canister. Can I even just remove it completely.
I just found a charcoal canister at a salvage yard for $125-$150. Check that option first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can try unplugging the electrical plug that goes to the canister. It may get rid of the code. I've heard it has for some. It didn't for me when I tried that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey i been driving around for about 1 year now with same problem ,, Fj running great all this time ,, if anything you want to do is check your codes from time to time just to make sure any different codes have not shown up ,,

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
"Why aren't more people doing this???"

Because it doesn't work for a NA market vehicle built after around 2005. It doesn't replace the original canister which has a pump, and a timer, and a pressure valve, which runs a pressure test each night and communicates its result with the engine ECU to prevent the error code.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts