Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2008 Sand Storm FJ about a mounth ago and have been looking at all the mod options. I really like the safari snorkel and have read a lot of good things about the product (not to mention it looks really cool) but, I can't figure out why there are not more people adding this mod to their FJs. I don't think it has anything to do with the price, there are a lot more expensive mods out there. Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Because you have to drill a 4" hole in your fender along with many other holes in the fender, not to many people want to drill a huge hole in a $30,000 vehicle. For me I'm going to get one as soon as I save the $. They look bad @$$ and work great.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I bought my 2008 Sand Storm FJ about a mounth ago and have been looking at all the mod options. I really like the safari snorkel and have read a lot of good things about the product (not to mention it looks really cool) but, I can't figure out why there are not more people adding this mod to their FJs. I don't think it has anything to do with the price, there are a lot more expensive mods out there. Any Thoughts?

Three big reasons why i think people wouldn't want it:

1) People think its ugly (not me)

2) Some think it's useless (i use mine every single time the gasoline is ignited)

3) You gotta cut a big hole in the fender:

YouTube - DominicG Drills The Hole

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I say go for it. you will either do it now or sit around for months asking "should I or not?" The main reaso nI believe peole don't put it on is because of the drilling involved. MudlovingFJ proved to me and many others in SoCal that it is not as hard as you think. It is actually kinda fun to do. If you are afraid of messing it up get it done professionally. I suggest doing it yourself with someone who has done it before.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
If you drive in a lot of dust,
A snorkel is a must....

Ok, my weak attempt at humor. A snorkel has the best value return in that way (IMO). If you're doing a water crossing and get in deeper than you thought for a moment, it will keep water from the engine. However if you're driving in water over the hood you will have other problems and the snorkel won't save you.

A lot of people don't want to cut that hole in the fender.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A snorkel is nice, don't get me wrong...I'll probably get one next year. However, I put a snorkel in the same category as offroad lights, nice to have but only absolutely necessary in situations I can avoid with properly planning and execution. In terms of a water crossing, I should have researched my route well enough to know that there is a potentially deep water crossing (and avoid the route entirely) and/or when I get there actually get out of the FJ and check its depth.

With a month old FJ, my opinion (for what little it's worth) is the best place to put money is in recovery equipment and training.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Personally I didn't want one because I don't feel that I need one. In the dusty areas that I do travel in, the dust is so fine, it's everywhere. High or low, there's dust so there's no point. I don't cross water high enough to flood my engine, so that's out too. I've not done any controlled testing so what I said is based on what I've observed and it's not scientific.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info.
Another quick question... For those of you who have snorkels, how do they hold up at highway speeds? The truth is I probably speend more time driving down the highway then I do off road.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Thanks for all the info.
Another quick question... For those of you who have snorkels, how do they hold up at highway speeds? The truth is I probably speend more time driving down the highway then I do off road.

Thanks again.

Excellent.. i've cruised a good 5 miles at about 110 and it did great. Nothing better than having your intake temp 6 degrees colder than ambient.:rocker:

Oh it also holds up to tree branches!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i really debated this one my self. The tech at the dealership told me I should get one, but I think he just wants to see what it looks like on the FJ.

Dom, how much was it for you install, kits extra parts and all.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
A snorkel is nice, don't get me wrong...I'll probably get one next year. However, I put a snorkel in the same category as offroad lights, nice to have but only absolutely necessary in situations I can avoid with properly planning and execution. In terms of a water crossing, I should have researched my route well enough to know that there is a potentially deep water crossing (and avoid the route entirely) and/or when I get there actually get out of the FJ and check its depth.

With a month old FJ, my opinion (for what little it's worth) is the best place to put money is in recovery equipment and training.
Smartest comment I have read here in a while!! Nothing like a heavily modded out rig sitting on the trail somewhere because they forgot the first mods they should invest in before going off road, recovery gear. Spread the word :)

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Just do it.
The main reason I did it was not for water crossings, but for dust control up where I go.
Summer time is very dusty, and most of that dust is coming off the tires and getting sucked into the stock intake in the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mud is my main reason. When I changed my filter there was mud all over it. I took everything a part and found mud all in the area between the filter and the finder.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I don't have one cause I think it looks really ugly. The Volant ones look a bit better. I wish there was a way to have one that was not side mounted.

The Big reason, I don't find myself in deep water ever...:rofl:

What happens when you don't have one!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.