Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Will you register and be a part, just visit, skip it, or something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Caravan might be a possibility but driving straight through is not. The drive up the million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray is breathtaking and needs to be done while the sun is up. On top of that if you are tired that drive quite possibly could be deadly.....no chit.

Here are a few images:

Take note that there is a surprising lack of guard rails.
:cheers:
I think I heard someone talking about wanting to drive straight through New Mexico, but then hitting the highway up from there in the day time. Perhaps staying over-night in the Durango area, and heading North from there the next morning.

I totally agree. That place is so beautiful, sometimes I consider 'accidentally' leaving something behind, just so I have an excuse to have to go back and get it.

...You can camp really, really cheap !
Actually, you can camp for free if you do it right.

I would love to go!

I'm not sure what the distribution of FJ owners is on this site, but having a "national" summit in one of the western-most states of the continental U.S. doesn't make much sense to me. Granted it looks gorgeous out there, but the trip is just not practical for some, if not most, on the east coast.

Than again, I suppose the terrain in middle America probably leaves something to be desired, eh? (for lack of mountain ranges anyway)
Ya, the only way I could see doing a national gathering of FJs in the Middle of the country (I lived in MN for the first 30 years of my life) would be in the winter. It's just usually too humid and full of mosquitos in the summer.

If we did the winter thing, we could have ice races. :clap:

I like it here though, and won't be voting it away.

Come on out to paradise.

It won't be the same without you.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Caravan might be a possibility but driving straight through is not. The drive up the million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray is breathtaking and needs to be done while the sun is up. On top of that if you are tired that drive quite possibly could be deadly.....no chit.
After getting back from Ouray last summer I was talking to a friend of mine who drives a semi for a local hospital bed manufacturer. I was telling him about the Million Dollar Highway and he got all excited. He said last year he was delivering in Arizona/New Mexico and had to get to Montrose.

He was being told by dispatch to take the long, long way around but decided "there's no reason not to take this perfectly good state highway". In the dark, he drove from Durango to Montrose and said he about dirtied his pants many times over from the black voids of the drop offs/canyons, absence of guardrails, and feeling that he really shouldn't be there.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
After getting back from Ouray last summer I was talking to a friend of mine who drives a semi for a local hospital bed manufacturer. I was telling him about the Million Dollar Highway and he got all excited. He said last year he was delivering in Arizona/New Mexico and had to get to Montrose.

He was being told by dispatch to take the long, long way around but decided "there's no reason not to take this perfectly good state highway". In the dark, he drove from Durango to Montrose and said he about dirtied his pants many times over from the black voids of the drop offs/canyons, absence of guardrails, and feeling that he really shouldn't be there.
Ahhhh, Colorado mountain highways.... :rocker:

·
Registered
838 Posts
we felt that way driving the FJ and the sun shinning, there is serious pucker factor in play on the road

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Not making it this year. Had a great time the first two years. Maybe they will move it for next year.

·
Registered
477 Posts
We drove from Durango via Silverton and Ouray to Montrose one May in a Sequoia during daylight. No problem, except for onset vertigo. Daytime is the time to do it so you don't miss the scenery and the edge of the road. Beautiful area.

F.Y.I. Avoid Wyoming, especially next month. Trust me, Wyoming before June 1st is windy, miserable and the locals will be the same. So, plan your vacation to bypass WY in May...especially since that's when we'll be navigating the Big Ti*s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We made the mistake of showing up and not registering in 2007. We couldn't get there before Friday night, and we felt it was a waste to sign up and miss out on 2 days of trails. They (whoever THEY were) were not amused. We bought a couple of t-shirts and did our own thing on Saturday and Sunday morning. We had a blast. Hung out in Ouray and Telluride. Did Imogene Pass. It was great.

But we are actually taking off 4 days, have registered and we're signing up for REAL trails with other FJs this year.

See you there! (But we're not staying at the Best Western....we're camping!)

121 - 128 of 128 Posts