Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the cool stuff that some people mount in front of their grill such as lights, brush guards, winches, has anyone had overheating problems due to restricted air flow to the radiator?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
That's a good question. I have not heard of any so far.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Nope, not that I've ever heard of, even with solid box restrictive bumpers and skid plates the FJ seems to run just fine. The only time I've heard ov an overheating situation was someone who buried their rig in mud and clogged up the radiator fins. Just needed a good power wash.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I was also worried about this, but I haven't seen any noticeable difference at all.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
No problems for two reasons:

1. The radiator is huge and is so tall that it needs its own separate frame crossmember at the bottom to hold it up.

2. As with most radiators, it's the fan drawing air through it that does most of the cooling, as opposed to air coming in the front. I am pretty sure you could completely block off the front and you'd still be fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Forgot about the fan doing it's job.
Overheating wont be a problem this weekend in the Pacific Northwest because it's supposed to be colder here than in Anchorage.(Global Warming?):lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts