Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 TRD edition FJ and have added a Lucrum mount, winch, Hi lift mounted on roof, ARB fridge (ordered), skid plates (ordered).

With the added weight and my frequent and more difficult trail riding I need a good lift. The problem is that the TRD came with upgraded suspension and I worry about downgrading with some of these kits. I dont want to go backwards.

This is not for bragging rights, I just want a comfortable ride, and to add some height on the trails to compensate for the added weight and to get some extra clearance.

I live in New Mexico and am also looking for someone to install the lift...at a reasonable cost of course.

Any suggestions? If it helps, my budget is around $1000.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You may be able to get the ToyTec coilover kit that uses your stock bilstein shocks. Just not sure if it works with the TRD Bilsteins or only the TT ones.

If you can't do that you can get the full ToyTec coilover. OME or Radflo/OW 2.0 coilovers are all options too. You could also go with adjustable Bilstein 5100s and new coils.

The TRD/TT suspensions are good, but truthfully all $700+ lift options will be just as good or better than what you have.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you guys are recommending springs right? To go with the current suspension? That would save some money.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
So you guys are recommending springs right? To go with the current suspension? That would save some money.
Kind of. The only part of your current suspension that you can keep in a lift is your front shocks and rear coils (though I;d opt for new rear coils).

OME (Old Man Emu) would give you 4 new coils and 4 new shocks for ~$800. Some people say this is the best price-to-performance lift out there. From what I've read I would opt for their sport shocks.

The ToyTec kit converts your front TRD Bilstein shocks into adjustable coilovers for ~$450. If you're happy with the ride now this is a great option.

Like I mentioned in my first post there are lots of coilovers options out there, but for your budget the Radflo/OW 2.0 coilovers are probably the only ones in that range.

In the rear, you're pretty much stuck needing new shocks, as the OEM shocks aren't long enough for a 2" lift. Some people keep them w/ a 2" lift, but it's not recommended. I'd say the OME Sport shocks (60020 I believe), Bilstein 5100s, or ICON shocks would all match or exceed your current performance, and range from $180-$200 for a pair.

I'd suggest getting new rear coils in the rear. If you're going to have a lot of extra weight the OME 895s are great. If not everyone seems to love the ToyTec SuperFlex coils. If you have no extra rear weight, you can always just get a 2" spacer to go on top of your current coils, but not many people go that route.

·
Registered
82 Posts
With $1000 budget, you can easily replace both spring and shocks. :) IMO, there's no love loss by swapping out TRD shocks, especially if you got some miles on them. Or you can spend a bit more and get a nice set of coilover systems and take the guess work out. :)

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
You may benefit from getting a used suspension in the for sale section. This would give you a nicer setup at less cost to you. Installation is also pretty simple if you want to save some bones there and continue to learn about your FJ.

Often times when you go up you get a stiffer ride so keep that in mind.
Good advice on trying used. Going that route, to a point, for the purpose of trying a set up, a portion of which I was prepared to buy new. By saving a little money, now, and trying a decent upgrade, will be buying some valuable experience, and more time to review y'alls experiences, to determine final set up.

This will be the second I've tried, and will be posting the current set up here, probably for a loss, soon. Without the benefit of seeing set ups, like FJROHR's, it's hard to determine the extent of final product. Can't wait.

Delancy

Delancy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good advice on trying used. Going that route, to a point, for the purpose of trying a set up, a portion of which I was prepared to buy new. By saving a little money, now, and trying a decent upgrade, will be buying some valuable experience, and more time to review y'alls experiences, to determine final set up.

This will be the second I've tried, and will be posting the current set up here, probably for a loss, soon. Without the benefit of seeing set ups, like FJROHR's, it's hard to determine the extent of final product. Can't wait.

Delancy

Delancy
I agree buying used is a good way to save some money, but it doesn't provide true test as the products performance might already been compromised by the previous owner. This is a tough choice for sure... especially trying to achieve comfort ride with performance.. what one butt might like feel the other butt might not...lol :)

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I agree buying used is a good way to save some money, but it doesn't provide true test as the products performance might already been compromised by the previous owner. This is a tough choice for sure... especially trying to achieve comfort ride with performance.. what one butt might like feel the other butt might not...lol :)
Was a hard call for me. I normally wouldn't, but the brand is reputable for more use than the forum member claims, and I don't have much choice than to take him at his word.

I'll have issue with selling my used suspension that's currently installed. I feel it'd be a disservice to not be honest about my overall dissatisfaction with, yet they seem to be a commodity for entry level lifts.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kind of. The only part of your current suspension that you can keep in a lift is your front shocks and rear coils (though I;d opt for new rear coils).

OME (Old Man Emu) would give you 4 new coils and 4 new shocks for ~$800. Some people say this is the best price-to-performance lift out there. From what I've read I would opt for their sport shocks.

The ToyTec kit converts your front TRD Bilstein shocks into adjustable coilovers for ~$450. If you're happy with the ride now this is a great option.

Like I mentioned in my first post there are lots of coilovers options out there, but for your budget the Radflo/OW 2.0 coilovers are probably the only ones in that range.

In the rear, you're pretty much stuck needing new shocks, as the OEM shocks aren't long enough for a 2" lift. Some people keep them w/ a 2" lift, but it's not recommended. I'd say the OME Sport shocks (60020 I believe), Bilstein 5100s, or ICON shocks would all match or exceed your current performance, and range from $180-$200 for a pair.

I'd suggest getting new rear coils in the rear. If you're going to have a lot of extra weight the OME 895s are great. If not everyone seems to love the ToyTec SuperFlex coils. If you have no extra rear weight, you can always just get a 2" spacer to go on top of your current coils, but not many people go that route.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me. This is exactly the info that I needed to make my decision. It was all very confusing until you explained it laymans terms (seriously, I needed it). Gotta love this site. Thanks again!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts