Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 2 JLW3V3's off of al Alpine PDX 1.1000, when it was first installed, the shop set the gain to approx. half, "to break the speakers in," though they felt it could go a good bit higher. I later brought it back in to have dynamat installed, and they readjusted the gain, I think its somewhere about 3/4 now. It's been a few months and I haven't had much time to deal with it. On certain songs when I'm listening to my Avic-d3 relatively loud, (with the subwoofer set at +2) I get a distinct loud pop/grunt sound...On songs with bass-lines like: Staind- It's Been a While, Staind- Believe, Daughtry-Home...
On the otherhand, I can crank rap songs like Low- Flo Rida and even turn the subwofer loudness up to +4 (That's the highest I've ever tried) and the avic-d3 volume substiantally louder without any even these problems whatsoever, but I do understand the difference is a very low frequency bass note. So does this sound like a problem with gain? Am I overpowering the woofers or what? (Again, I don't remember having this problem before the gain was turned up.)

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I'm running 2 JLW3V3's off of al Alpine PDX 1.1000, when it was first installed, the shop set the gain to approx. half, "to break the speakers in," though they felt it could go a good bit higher. I later brought it back in to have dynamat installed, and they readjusted the gain, I think its somewhere about 3/4 now. It's been a few months and I haven't had much time to deal with it. On certain songs when I'm listening to my Avic-d3 relatively loud, (with the subwoofer set at +2) I get a distinct loud pop/grunt sound
Are you sure that wasn't just your "trd exhaust" after yesterday's burrito bar? :lol:

Seriously tho, if you have a distorted pop/thump, that usually indicates one of two things - that the amp input is being driven too hard - or the speaker is. However being that subwoofers are usually rated for insane levels anyway, and amps tend to be mighty forgiving, I wonder what could cause that.

If you play cRap music with a lower bassline than the rock material and it does fine, are you sure it's the sub causing the pop? Perhaps it is one of your other mid-bass speakers unable to handle it. A solution there would be to raise the crossover point for the sub output thus forcing more bass frequencies through the sub system. Not knowing how your installer set you up, these are just blind guesses mind you.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure that wasn't just your "trd exhaust" after yesterday's burrito bar? :lol:

Seriously tho, if you have a distorted pop/thump, that usually indicates one of two things - that the amp input is being driven too hard - or the speaker is. However being that subwoofers are usually rated for insane levels anyway, and amps tend to be mighty forgiving, I wonder what could cause that.

If you play cRap music with a lower bassline than the rock material and it does fine, are you sure it's the sub causing the pop? Perhaps it is one of your other mid-bass speakers unable to handle it. A solution there would be to raise the crossover point for the sub output thus forcing more bass through the sub system. Not knowing how your installer set you up, these are just blind guesses mind you.
Nope, we have the crossovers set for fine. It's definitely from the woofers. I can live with it I have to, I can still play it decently loud on all songs, and its only some that seem to be affected. (And sorry, I listen to all types of music, rap being my least favorite, but I boast a whole 26 rap songs on my Ipod which contains over 4300! :D ) Thanks for your input, any more help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
A simple fix. Turn the gain on the amp to 0, turn the volume on you deck to max, adjust the gain level up till you get said pop/grunt/distortion you are now at the max your speakers can handle.
Turn the gain down till the pop/grunt/distortion disapears. This way you can listen to your music a max volume with out popping your speakers.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A simple fix. Turn the gain on the amp to 0, turn the volume on you deck to max, adjust the gain level up till you get said pop/grunt/distortion you are now at the max your speakers can handle.
Turn the gain down till the pop/grunt/distortion disapears. This way you can listen to your music a max volume with out popping your speakers.
So you're of the opinion the gain is the problem?

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
That is where I would start, setting your gain is more than just a feeling.

"..the shop set the gain to approx. half, "to break the speakers in," though they felt it could go a good bit higher."

If you are still getting popping,grunts, distortion the next thing to look at would be your cross-overs.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
the sloppiness is probably clipping. i would read the gain setting tutorial on JL audio's website. then if you turn up the deck too high, you clip the signal. if everything is set right and the noises continue, then the box is wrong. the pop is a ping from the box. if its ported, 99% of the time, the port area and length is wrong. if its sealed, try putting down a few layers of dampening mat on the rear wall behind the woofer, then you will have to track it down at a really custom shop, but its a carpet padding type of material. but lay that on top of the mat. but i strongly suggest setting your gains properly with a digital multimeter and test tone, then look into the box if it continues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts