Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are a few things that I think odd of the FJ. I like the truck, but some of it's oddities...are they really necessary?

Just two things annoy me.

1. The tri windshield wipers. Couldn't the engineers develop an armature to use just two? That middle one is going to be a pain to change out.

2. Is the huge pillar right above the rear wheels really needed? I think they could've extended the windows either rearward or forward to eliminate that huge gap.

Anyone else find oddities worth explanation? Come on now, be honest and open.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Lighted mirrors - necessity or hype?

I like the tri-wiper setup and it was necessary from an engineering standpoint. Would you rather have an extra wiper or a huge piece of your windshield landscape unreached by standard two wiper setup? It's similar to old MG designs on their little convertible coupes.

I think too many things that were on the prototype that we really liked didn't make it to production. I loved the dual winch setup actually coming out of the bumpers. I liked the lines of the concept more than the lines of the production model.

I love the FJ, though and I will still be doing everything I can to get mine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
midlifecrisis said:
I still think that the FJ is a cute SUV and the design is redical and impressive.
Ummmm... cute?

The three blade wiper combination is paying tribute to the BJ-42 "luxury" Land Cruiser, around 1982 or so when the 40 series was still in production. I like the final design, and when driving, I don't think that the massive C-pillar will hinder sight, as your mirrors will aid you more than looking back. Overall, I like it and would love to own one. However, I don't need a 3rd vehicle, and my primary use of it is already filled by my FJ40 :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
midlifecrisis said:
I still think that the FJ is a cute SUV and the design is redical and impressive.
"cute SUV" Wow that is a backhanded compliment if I have ever heard of one. I agree about the lights on the mirrors, still not sure they serve any real function. But disagree about the three windshield wipers, I happen to like this little feature. And I'll agree too little prototype influence...such as the lines and the rear tail lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Side-view mirror lights
2. Goofy plastic interior
3. Goofy rear plastic bumper
4. Huge pillar
5. No fold-flat seats
6. The change of the front (looks more like a H2)

Those are a few of the things that I don't understand. Steel tube bumpers would be a nice replacement. Extending the rear side windows farther forward would be a good idea. Find a way to fold the seats flat. Use some nicer looking interior materials. Really I don't mind the goofy looks, but the materials make it look cheap, not rugged. Ditch the lights on the side-views.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
all of you are heretics. can't you plainly see that the vehicle in question is as close to perfection as any one of the sports illustrated swimsuit models. you slap a hitch one of them and i can't even tell the difference. Isabella? FJ? is that you?

·
Registered
181 Posts
DocAltie said:
2. Goofy plastic interior
Use some nicer looking interior materials. Really I don't mind the goofy looks, but the materials make it look cheap, not rugged. Ditch the lights on the side-views.
We haven't even seen the production interior yet, have we? And even now we have only seen pictures of the interior. I would reserve my judgement on that.

Also those seats look exactly like the ones in my 4Runner and I think the quality is excellent. As for the rest of the interior I'm pretty confident that it will be respectable considering its' price range and if it is anything like the quality in my current 4Runner than I think it will be over and above in quality considering its' price range.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Toybox...please check all of his other posts...you will quickly learn what the rest of us have already learned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
air said:
all of you are heretics. can't you plainly see that the vehicle in question is as close to perfection as any one of the sports illustrated swimsuit models. you slap a hitch one of them and i can't even tell the difference. Isabella? FJ? is that you?
:)

I'm looking forward to the price. If it is in my price range as claimed, I'll most likely pick one up. There's one thing about Toyota's engines that really drives me towards them. They're pretty rock solid.

I guess I'll deal with jumping on the hood to change out that center wiper blade, but the pillar is still awkward. I like a lot of light in my vehicles and don't like blindspots, but I suppose they had to add the pillar from a structural standpoint.

·
Registered
181 Posts
csherrill said:
Toybox...please check all of his other posts...you will quickly learn what the rest of us have already learned.

Who's? Doc's?

EDIT: Oh I see now. Not too many positive posts I see, if that is what you were eluding to.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Um...no. You can post a 100 times and be a senior member...but it doesn't mean you've got anything valid or worthwhile to say. Just check his name and then find more posts by him. You'll see a running theme to them all...

·
Registered
378 Posts
csherrill said:
Um...no. You can post a 100 times and be a senior member...but it doesn't mean you've got anything valid or worthwhile to say. Just check his name and then find more posts by him. You'll see a running theme to them all...

and here I thought I was the only one that noticed that..... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
HamsFJ said:
:)

I'm looking forward to the price. If it is in my price range as claimed, I'll most likely pick one up. There's one thing about Toyota's engines that really drives me towards them. They're pretty rock solid.

I guess I'll deal with jumping on the hood to change out that center wiper blade, but the pillar is still awkward. I like a lot of light in my vehicles and don't like blindspots, but I suppose they had to add the pillar from a structural standpoint.

Not climbing onto your hood once a year!! oh no!!! ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
csherrill said:

That is what i meant about not too many positive posts. Stated more clearly: I see he has lots of complaints and seems to want something different that the fjc......which I think he should get. They have lots of quality plastic in the heep and hummer.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I will say that the c pillar gives me some concern, I thinking it will be like drving a panel van; it can be done just takes time to get use to. As far as the goofy interior plastics; there will be more then enough grubby aftermarket dealers offering alternative inserts, ie chrome, brushed metal. hidious carbon fiber, or as I am hoping black with mud flap girls.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
csherrill said:
what's a post?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Toyota has done a great job on the FJC IMHO. I like the exterior very much (third wiper, turn signal mirrors, white top two-tone paint and all). The only thing I'd do different is the rear hatch setup. Anyone that off-roads or camps knows how handy a TAILGATE is! The full size rear tire does present some problems for a tailgate to be installed, but Toyota's engineers could have worked that out...

The dash is unique and appealing. Haven't seen the final interior materials, but I will agree with many others about having everything fold flat and providing at least a 6' passenger side sleeping area if needed. Toyota can work on these things and others that come up in the years ahead. And I'm sure they will improve it as time passes.

Overall it's hard to criticize the FJC when it comes to a great new true OFF-ROAD entry into the market that has lots of HP, torque and 5K towing ability. It's the 5K towing ability that keeps me waiting and postponing any other purchase until the pricing is known.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
csherrill said:
Preach on!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts