Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
It's been neglected as far as washing goes, there are many owners that don't know or don't care to bend down and wash the underside of a vehicle... Around here it's kind of do it or loose it... Not really but if you want a vehicle to stay in good condition cleaning the underside is important. The pictures are not great but the one you have pictured is not really bad but there are better... You could bring it back in condition with some knowledge and hard work. If your not sure if it is something you can do, Maybe move on to others that look better maintained.

·
Registered
116 Posts
At one time I had a CRX, and they were known for rusting at the top of the body line behind the rear fender well. Being that I'm from N. Texas, we don't worry about rust on older vehicles, but I've seen the carnage that can happen to Northern vehicles.

Are there places on the body panels that are typical for rust to develop in the Northern climates?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
At one time I had a CRX, and they were known for rusting at the top of the body line behind the rear fender well. Being that I'm from N. Texas, we don't worry about rust on older vehicles, but I've seen the carnage that can happen to Northern vehicles.

Are there places on the body panels that are typical for rust to develop in the Northern climates?
Rust rarely happens on open flat panels... Seams and joints where panels meet or anywhere where moisture and ice melting products can collect are prime areas for rust to grow. Rust prevention does not take a lot of work, during winter months I dont worry so much about actual all out washing. Regular weekly pressure rinsing of the underside and all seams and joints makes a big difference. Every spring I have some surface rust on the frame that gets cleaned off and a fresh coat if paint. It's just something I like to do to keep everything looking good.
:smile

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
I'd say yes only because it is all over the body floor metal. It is super typical on all the black frame and axle bits, but rarely gets to the body like that. Id be suspect of the fenders and all that too...dont want it popping out through any paint!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Thanks to everyone that replied. I ended up passing on this 2007 FJ and ended up with 2014 4wd. Hopefully I can keep the salt off this thing and enjoy the heck out of it. Now let the mods begin.....
Keeping the salt off is pretty easy. All you really need to do is go to one of those do it yourself car wash places with the pressure washers. Set the pressure washer to high pressure soap and hold the wand upside down and soap up the entire underside, wheel wells, and hubs. Then switch to high pressure rinse, and rinse all the soap off. The whole process takes about 5 minutes and at the self wash by me ends up costing $3. If driving on salted roads, do this procedure once a week and your FJ will last a long long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Matt, I am out in Hawaii and the salt is just everywhere. I am not sure which type of undercoating to get at this point. Any Suggestions? Pics will be coming this weekend, ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts