Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. As you may have read in another post, I recently got a Unichip. It threw up a CEL and the fellow over at Unichip told me it was running too rich or too lean. Is there a simple way to figure out which it is? I don't have a scanguage or anything like that, which probably measures such a thing.

At any rate, I have a TRD intake, but I got a chip for the Volant intake with Ram Air, as I plan to do my own custom ram air. So this would lead me to believe the computer is running rich and looking for more air as I have not yet done the intake mod.

It hangs a little when I punch it and get into the higher rpm band (that's what sets off the CEL). By hangs, I mean it sort of takes a while to shift into the higher gear. And it stutters slightly here and there when I accelerate. Nothing crazy though.

So I can get it reprogrammed for my current intake setup and hope that clears the CEL. Or do the the ram air mod and hope that clears it. I was assured until I choose, I wasn't doing any damage to the engine (first thing I asked).

Are there any clear symptoms of running rich or lean?
Please don't be afraid to post just because you don't have a Unichip, it's less of an issue than the a/f ratio. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
See all that black soot on and around your pipe? congrats, you're rich!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Usually you can tell it's running rich by looking at a few symptoms.
-blackened exhaust, lots of black smoke, foul smell.
-dark spark plug tips
-power loss
-fouled O2 sensor
-Catalytic converter can also go bad

Running lean
-light throttle surge
-power drop
-spark plugs are whitish or look eroded
-may have backfiring on deceleration.
-valves or topend will overheat and can go out prematurely.

My 0.02.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Is there a way to fix running too rich? I have a good bit of soot on my tail pipe. Would a reflash fix this??

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You could try the easiest way first by cleaning the MAF. Have you checked the plugs?

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Is there a way to fix running too rich? I have a good bit of soot on my tail pipe. Would a reflash fix this??
Yes, first thing is go out RIGHT NOW and flash the neighbors, this will help us.

Cleaning your air filter and MAF helps alot..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your input. It's only been a few days, so I don't think I have any other things going on other than what I mentioned (bad plugs, soot, etc). And the problems are being caused by the piggyback ecu, so it's not the maf.
I'll have to look into hooking up a diagnostics tool. $400.00 is a bit pricey though. ouch. I'm sure it can come in handy, but I just assume remove the Unichip first.

·
Registered
734 Posts
you need a custom tune and there's no other option. I'm assuming you're runinng a base map? are you experiencing idle fluctuation? also, are you experiencing exhaust backfire at high rpm? custom tune from a reputable shop will do wonders for you. the hesitation that you're experiencing is from not having a proper A/F mixture. go spend some cash and you'll enjoy the FJ much more.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
If it's running really rich all the time, the exhaust will stink pretty bad at idle. If it smells normal, then it's only running rich at higher rpm or you could possibly be running lean. Pull one spark plug and look at the color, dark brown to black carbon deposits typically indicate a rich condition, very white deposits typically mean a lean condition.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello. Yes I have two basemap options, one being a more agressive tune than the other. Yeah the idle is a little rough at times. No backfiring however. And I did see a bit of soot on my tailpipe, but I can't verify that was there only after the chip install. Unfortunately for me, A shop can't tune with the Unichip on unless the shop has their software. Pretty lame since they license it out. They need to forego the licensing bit and make it open source for everyone to use.
Anyway, I totally agree about the tune, but I have to find someone who's "authorized" to do it. The one guy in my area that used to do it, was fed up with Unichip. Now I have to go to another state if I want it done. Crazy!
Until then, the chip is off and my baby is back to normal. I thought the best thing to do is get it programmed for me current setup and see how that goes.
I spoke poorly of the URD chip because once you bought all the tools to do your own tune, it wound up being quite expensive. While it's still pricey, I would now recommend that option over Unichip.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's running really rich all the time, the exhaust will stink pretty bad at idle. If it smells normal, then it's only running rich at higher rpm or you could possibly be running lean. Pull one spark plug and look at the color, dark brown to black carbon deposits typically indicate a rich condition, very white deposits typically mean a lean condition.

DEWFPO
I'll take a look at one of the plugs tomorrow. I hope its not lean, as I planned on adding more air to the system! wish me luck.:rocker:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read some more posts on people getting unichips, so I thought I'd post. I got the unichip retuned and all is well with the CELs. The only issue I'm having now is with the AC not working properly. I was told by someone who's pretty familiar with piggyback harnesses that when too much power is drawn, the oem ecu starts shutting systems down, the AC being one of the first. It's either that or I'm just throwing too much heat. Interesting either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts