Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am working to get my first Fj.. I found one I like which is a manual and its 2008 with 171k miles on it.. my first car was a rust bucket every corner I hit something was crumbling off lol but that was years ago.. So does this FJ undercarriage look too rusty? I don't want to dismiss it if it isn't as bad as it appears or just looks standard..
And it's from NY..

·
Registered
18 Posts
It looks salvageable, a professional descaling degreasing undercoating ( in NJ there is a place ) can save it. if the price is right and it runs fine I wouldn't discard it. You're looking at about 2-3K of work after purchase ( at that mileage shocks are shot, skids I'm sure are gone too, undercoating is 1K)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks salvageable, a professional descaling degreasing undercoating ( in NJ there is a place ) can save it. if the price is right and it runs fine I wouldn't discard it. You're looking at about 2-3K of work after purchase ( at that mileage shocks are shot, skids I'm sure are gone too, undercoating is 1K)
Its selling for 12,000 to be exact..

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you're comfortable with the price and are willing to put in the work (or pay someone) to clean it up then go for it! If you do it yourself it is a lot of work, though, and you'll get why it costs so much for someone else to do it (and you'll be pickier and probably do a better job, being your FJ). What color is it?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That doesn't look terrible to me for a 13 year old vehicle from NY. I mean, it needs work, but if the price is right, I would certainly consider it. That frame cross member does look kinda bad if you ask me.

I'm no rust expert.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
So does this FJ undercarriage look too rusty? I don't want to dismiss it if it isn't as bad as it appears or just looks standard..
Where do you live? Somewhere where this rust will get worse? Then it will need to be mitigated. This doesn't look so bad that it will make the truck unsafe.

I find a lot of FJ's for people from Colorado who buy them, then drive them back here. The rust won't get significantly worse here, but if this is a NY truck and you live in NY then it will get worse.

You should try to get this mitigated, and I would expect that any modifications / upgrades will be more of a hassle because you're going to have problems with hardware. I helped a friend with his similarly rusted truck and the sway bar bolts were breaking when we tried to take them off.

·
Registered
FJ Cruiser 2014 Quicksand stock 4x4, convenience, upgrade, tow, RR.
83 Posts
no expert myself, still learning before doing mods myself, but is this truck levelled or lifted? looks like the panhardbar is not adjusted. will alter driving dynamics. no big deal but could be used as argument to knock a few bucks off the sellingprice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I showed the pictures to a mechanic at Toyota dealer.. two of them said to keep looking.. They zoomed into the pictures and showed me that some of the parts was eroding.. And that I would be spending more on repairs then on mods... Suggested I keep looking, unless I ask them to either replace the parts or cut the price in half to cover the parts.. So I guess I’ll keep looking lol...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts