Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this weekend was the annual snowmobile grass drags. Since I have not towed anything yet I gladly volunteered to tow the sled to the track. It had rained most of the week so the field was pretty muddy, but I got in fine.

It's a 2010 6MT so I just left it in 4H and turned the traction control off. On the way in I noticed it beeping as I spun but thought nothing of it. On the way out I got stuck when trying to go about 10 - 15 mph through the mud. I was in 4HL with the traction control off but something kept fighting me. What else am I missing VSC? I have read about putting a switch in to disable the VSC / ABS. I Also saw that 2010's were suppose to be able to disable all the computer stuff.

I was able to get her unstuck but took some ridicule from all the people there, since I had to unhook the trailer. After I got out a jeep drove right through the same spot in 2wd. :flame: Of course he was going like 20 mph.

First picture is where I was "almost" stuck. Second was at the car wash before my wife saw her new car dirty.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Them highway tires will do it man.

I have RWD with Dueler H/Ts. I was cruising down an old blacktop when I had to slow down and ease over to let an oncoming car by. My passenger side tires were in a wet ditch. Long story short, I had to use reverse and use my R Diff locker to get out of a 2 inch ditch:flame:... Still took me about 5 minutes.

I am soooo trading this sucker in for a 4WD next year.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Real tires would help tremendously. Also, I've found when towing or recovering something in sand/mud/ that 4Lo with the rear diff locked helps a lot. It's not the Lo so much as the locked rear end. Often you will find that A-Trac works against you in sand and mud, but there are times where it helps, so try all your easy button combos. Start with 4Lo with the diff locked first when traction is hard to find.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Real tires would help tremendously. Also, I've found when towing or recovering something in sand/mud/ that 4Lo with the rear diff locked helps a lot. It's not the Lo so much as the locked rear end. Often you will find that A-Trac works against you in sand and mud, but there are times where it helps, so try all your easy button combos. Start with 4Lo with the diff locked first when traction is hard to find.
Yup, 4Lo, Lock your Rear diff...turn your steering wheel back and forth in a slow sweeping motion like you're doing S-curves....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately new tires will not come until the old ones are gone. So is it the VSC that was cutting the throttle or something else.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately new tires will not come until the old ones are gone. So is it the VSC that was cutting the throttle or something else.
ya you need to install a vsc cancel switch or use 4lo and as long as you have stock tires yo should probably stay out of mud or buy some chains

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have those Dueler HT's also and they have done well everywhere EXCEPT mud. They do fine is dry tough off road rock crawling and even went up a running creek bed with fairly big sized wet rocks...but they slipped like mad in only about a 1/2" of mud.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yup, 4Lo, Lock your Rear diff...turn your steering wheel back and forth in a slow sweeping motion like you're doing S-curves....
^^^ this ^^^

Your FJ sucks in the mud. sorry.. it does. These things are heavy with a lot to drag. With some lift and MTs they're better. But Wranglers, CJs, FJ40s, etc. will always make ya look bad in the mud. But then who really likes mud anyway.

The key to mud is wheel speed (to clean the tires) and as BigPoppa said - saw the wheel. Turn the wheel 180 degrees like you're doing a slalom course. This lets the tires bite in different parts of the dirt/mud with different parts of the tire and (more importantly) it weights and unweights the truck - like rocking it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2H uses VSC and that controls engine and brakes
4h pulses the brake on the sliping wheel to send power to wheel that is not slipping. No engine control is manipulated by the computer in 4h
4l no computer control
4l locked locks the rear wheel turning them both at the same rate and power
4l Atrack will actually use the brakes to lock (not pulse) the wheel that slips to move all power to the wheel with traction if needed. It does not control the engine at all.

turning with rear locks can hold ya back. Sometimes on the beach, I have noticed that the ATRAC will lock a wheel, and the sand does not offer enough feedback to the locked wheel to let the computer know when it has traction so it just gets dragged. This probably will apply in mud too. The simple act of turning will cause the outside wheel to lock up on ya in sand from it turning faster in the sharp turn and freaking the computer.

This is all just how I understand it, I'm probably wrong.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I have those Dueler HT's also and they have done well everywhere EXCEPT mud. They do fine is dry tough off road rock crawling and even went up a running creek bed with fairly big sized wet rocks...but they slipped like mad in only about a 1/2" of mud.
If that is your honest assessment of those tires offroad then you need to try them on more difficult terrain. They blow as an offroad tire.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah, VSC will cut the throttle and apply the brakes to a specific wheel(s) it deems necessary. Next time you could just try 4Lo...more torque and 4L disables all the computer controlled crap by itself, including the ever so stupid ABS system, lol!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure if you press and hold the VSC off button for several secons on the 2010 it turns off both vsc and trac.
You sir are the man. :clap: I tried this last night after about 3 seconds both VSC and traction control were turned off. Now I can blast through the mud like I used too. :rocker:

·
Registered
449 Posts
hmmm... thats a bummer that you got stuck and a jeep guy had to showboat afterward. but as far as the stock tires thing.... right before i replaced my stock tires i went on my first muddin adventure... tho i never got stuck. this was also before any of my few mods...heres a photo of the fun... mind you i replaced my tires about a month after... because i shouldnt have even gone with as bald as they were...:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to hold the VSC button for 8 seconds while the FJ is in park. Hold it for 3 seconds to turn the tractions control off, but 8 for the rest. The FJ has to be in park first. I use this all the time when playing in the snow.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Some have already mentioned, but 1 more time couldn't hurt. I wouldn't bother with VSC in this case. Drop it in 4-Lo and lock the rears.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
What if you don't have "Park?" (MT)
i dont think it has to be in park, i have a 2010 auto and i can shut down both VSC and traction while in neutral as well as park, so maybe just neutral for the MT? like said above hold down the button until both lights come on showing they are disabled. Also to note this works in 2wd as well. its all in the FJ manual.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts