Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,851 Posts
I know people who do and it seems fine, but the effect really depends on size tire. If stock, then no big deal. Just make sure you secure it well!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That sounds like a dangerous way to do it. That tire is gonna bounce several feet in the air and possibly even back into the vehicle.

I would say climb onto the rear bumper and grab it so then it’s only about half as high.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
That sounds like a dangerous way to do it. That tire is gonna bounce several feet in the air and possibly even back into the vehicle.

I would say climb onto the rear bumper and grab it so then it’s only about half as high.
I wasn't suggesting to do it. I honestly don't know and asked. I still dont see a safe way of getting it down.

Standing on the rear bumper would put the wheel shoulder level at best. So you are using your shoulders to carry the load. 80lbs is a lot of weight on the front / side deltoids. Even then you dont have a solid footing to lower 80+ lbs across your body down to the ground.

I guess you can hop on the roof and put a strap on it. And lower it like a piano.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I wasn't suggesting to do it. I honestly don't know and asked. I still dont see a safe way of getting it down.

Standing on the rear bumper would put the wheel shoulder level at best. So you are using your shoulders to carry the load. 80lbs is a lot of weight on the front / side deltoids. Even then you dont have a solid footing to lower 80+ lbs across your body down to the ground.

I guess you can hop on the roof and put a strap on it. And lower it like a piano.
If you open the rear door you have better leverage and can set it down half way to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
225 Posts

This! Open rear door to make it even easier. Thats what I do with gerry cans.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
If you open the rear door you have better leverage and can set it down half way to the ground.
This! Open rear door to make it even easier. Thats what I do with gerry cans.
I didn't even know it was possible to step on the rear bumper without opening the rear door. I thought that was obvious.

So you are telling me that you can grab the an object that is at least 80lbs and 32" wide off a roof rack by the rear door??

Let's think this through:

You are standing on the rear bumper (door open) that is about 2' from the ground. Facing the front and about shoulder level with the wheel / rear of the roof rack.
  • Where would you grab the wheel? Do you just give it a bear hug?
  • If you were to somehow grab the wheel, what do you do then? Do you put the wheel on your shoulder and step down? It's not like you have a 80lbs dumb bell with a handle and squat down.
^ I find all the steps above highly unlikely and dangerous.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I didn't even know it was possible to step on the rear bumper without opening the rear door. I thought that was obvious.

So you are telling me that you can grab the an object that is at least 80lbs and 32" wide off a roof rack by the rear door??

[/LIST]
^ I find all the steps above highly unlikely and dangerous.
Well, I can tell you it is easier to get it down than putting it up there. So if you can’t get it up there, then you don’t have to worry about how dangerous it is getting it down.
But I agree it is dangerous , especially if you are doing it by yourself.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Well, I can tell you it is easier to get it down than putting it up there. So if you can’t get it up there, then you don’t have to worry about how dangerous it is getting it down.
But I agree it is dangerous , especially if you are doing it by yourself.

Getting it on the roof rack is possible, especially if you have flat rack. It's a dead lift and press to get up. You can use your entire body, from legs back shoulders, to lift it up from the ground. Getting it down would be difficult as you are isolated to only your shoulders and don't have room to move around / turn around / step down from standing on the rear bumper.

·
トヨタ Master
6,170 Posts
Serious question, how do you get the wheel/tire off the roof rack? It's 80lbs+ and you will be fully extended just to reach it. Or do you jump on the roof and throw the wheel/tire to the ground?
Usually depends on the mount but a lot of swearing is typically involved unless you have a roof crane/winch.

I've thought about building something like this so I can keep more gear up there and possibly a RTT. I'm 5' 10" and can't always reach everything. The 1st time I got up there to strap on some ARB bags, I dented the roof. I got most of it popped up but I was afraid of damaging the headliner. Still need to pull that out and pop the passenger side back up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts