·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You're welcome Dominic.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
What's next ???????????????????????? A group of guys wearing helmets that come out of nowhere with impact wrenches and 'high-lift' jacks and switch the FJ to sand tires for a Baja run???? ((laughing in respect)) Somewhere out there, right now, there is a Cruiser getting that kind of love : ) Dude!!!!
Get that thing!! I still cherish changing my own oil. The labor is free and the feelling is Priceless

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Fjamming-- that avitar Rocks !!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Air2air has his own pit crew ;).

Thanks for the compliment on the avatar.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've never changed my own oil before but it's time I started to. This device looks perfect. I've found a few places in town that sell them so I'll probably pick one up soon and test it out in a few weeks.

If I don't have a membership to Sam's Club or Costco where's the best place to buy Mobil 1 5W-30? It looks like it'll be about $32 from Advanced Autoparts for 6qts.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I can see using something like this for things that are not easy to change, emergency, etc.. But is it not better to actually drain things from the bottom? Solids will surely collect there and come out better and if you're going to take out the drain plug anyhow, what's the point. I'd be afraid that gunk, etc. would pile up at the lowest point. Ron

I've never changed my own oil before but it's time I started to. This device looks perfect. I've found a few places in town that sell them so I'll probably pick one up soon and test it out in a few weeks.

If I don't have a membership to Sam's Club or Costco where's the best place to buy Mobil 1 5W-30? It looks like it'll be about $32 from Advanced Autoparts for 6qts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If the oil has been moving through the system all the particulates should be suspended in the medium due to the viscosity of the fluid. So even if I couldn't get that last 1/4 cup of fluid in the bottom all the new oil would dilute any left over particles.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I know what you're saying, but I can't agree. I grew up rebuilding my own engines and I've seen lots of crap collect in places. No one would ever flush anything it that were true. JMHO.. Ron

If the oil has been moving through the system all the particulates should be suspended in the medium due to the viscosity of the fluid. So even if I couldn't get that last 1/4 cup of fluid in the bottom all the new oil would dilute any left over particles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Maybe I'll drain it once every few oil changes to be sure. I'm going to start performing an oil analysis so I can compare doing a topside oil change versus a bottom side one.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
yeah, that would probably be a good idea. I'm sort-of changing my "changing" plans as well. Normally I'm a expensive K&N filter and full-syn Mobil1 or RP 7500mi or greater sort of guy, but I may do otherwise with the FJ for now.

The $35 per case Toyota filter appears to be superior to the TRD and many others in construction. It's small, tiny by some standards, but I now have 10. I'll change my own, so I'm thinking about 750mi Filter+Dino Oil, 1500mi Filter+Dino oil, 2500mi Filter+Dino Oil, 5000mi Filter+ Syn Oil, 7500mi Filter, 10,000 Filter+Syn oil, 12500 Filter+ Syn Oil, etc. regiment on the new FJ. Probably excessive in the beginning, but I've got plenty of filters, they're easy to change and dino oil is cheap.. Ron

Maybe I'll drain it once every few oil changes to be sure. I'm going to start performing an oil analysis so I can compare doing a topside oil change versus a bottom side one.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
$29.72 + tx at Costco

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just picked up the Mityvac topside oil changer. I'll report how it goes when I get around to using it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
the cheapest place to mobile 1 is wallmart for like $26.

As far as using the Mityvac i think it would be good to use for a cheapy tranny flush. But for a a engine oilchange i dont think it will have aenought press to get the thick sludgey stuff on the bottom of an oil pan.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's why they recommend to have the vehicle running beforehand. To help get all the oil warmed up and moving through the system.

I did the oil change last night with the Mityvac. I ended up going to Walmart to get the oil as it was about $26. Normally I avoid Walmart but I thought I'd give it a try. I believe the oil change was successful, but as it was my first time ever doing an oil change I can't be certain. You could really feel the warm oil going through the tubing during the pumping. I obtained just over 5L of oil. I put in 5 quarts back into the system at which time the dipstick read full so I'll let the oil run through everything today, fill up the huge oil filter (Mobil M1-301) and then take another reading to see if I need to up the last 1/2 quart in. Overall a painless process and next time I won't spill any oil (lost a small amount when removing the oil filter). At the same time I cleaned out my aFe intake and installed the aFe throttle body spacer.

My only question at the end was if there was a torque spec for installing the new oil filter? And do people try to clean out the Mityvac or just leave it as is when they're done?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I tightened to "tight enough" ;). When I'm done with it, I just wipe it down.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I tightened to "tight enough" ;). When I'm done with it, I just wipe it down.
Same here, with a lubed up filter gasket I get it snug and then give it another 1/3 to 1/2 turn if I can BY HAND, but not too tight. NO TOOLS to tighten the filter.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know what you're saying, but I can't agree. I grew up rebuilding my own engines and I've seen lots of crap collect in places. No one would ever flush anything it that were true. JMHO.. Ron
From all of the oil I have seen come out of a car, I would have to say half of the "left over particles" at the bottom of the pan are metal. It might remix with the new oil, but I'm not sure thats a good thing.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
From all of the oil I have seen come out of a car, I would have to say half of the "left over particles" at the bottom of the pan are metal. It might remix with the new oil, but I'm not sure thats a good thing.
That's why a strong magnet stuck to the side of the oil filter is a good thing.

DEWFPO

41 - 60 of 60 Posts