Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i had one of these in my old cars and it DID work, i was wondering if anyone tried one in their FJ?

these $4.59 dollars a gallon gas prices are killing me!!1

·
Registered
678 Posts
ive always heard those things were a joke. otherwise manufacturers would have been putting them in from the start to help gas mileage

i havent seen them in the last few years it seems like they were a 90's early 2000's thing, maybe they went out of business or something, id google it

·
Registered
415 Posts
Snake Oil...

Best thing (for fuel economy) you can do is slow down and make sure that your tires are properly inflated. :clap:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Snake Oil...

Best thing (for fuel economy) you can do is slow down and make sure that your tires are properly inflated. :clap:
Couldn't have said it better myself. They are complete garbage.

If you really believe they work... I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you ;) ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
They come stock on the 2011...they are outside the inlet of the filter box so obviously it doesn't perform the same function as AFTER the airbox. I suspect it is to sling dust and dirt to the sides and bottom of the airbox. I was quite surprised when I saw it in there.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
What is the difference between the tornado after market thingy-majigger, and the cyclone pre-filter thing the later model FJ's have?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
manufacturers spend millions trying to improve gas mileage. that is why we have hybrid cars, engines that shut off cylinders while your driving, donut tires, etc. if they could increase mileage with 50 cents of tin they would be all over it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is the difference between the tornado after market thingy-majigger, and the cyclone pre-filter thing the later model FJ's have?
Cyclone pre-filter helps remove some dirt before it gets to the air filter so the air filter stays cleaner longer.

Tornado thingy removes some cash from your bank account but does nothing else.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^haha

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
No-way can work without directly mixing the fuel & air or supplying an air charge greater than atmospheric pressure. On a carbureted engine you might have a shot at it providing an improved homogeneous air/fuel mix?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The basic idea is you DO NOT want your air intake charge to become turbulent until it gets into the combustion chamber. Billions of dollars have been spent on this one fact. Causing the air to become turbulent with one of those tornado things is a TERRIBLE idea and I wouldn't be surprised if it actually DECREASED efficiency.

Putting one before the air filter is a great idea to help whip dust particles out of the intake air. The filter then homogenizes the intake flow so it can SMOOTHLY flow into the combustion chamber.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I think its funny that "hybrids" now are getting 30-35mpg and that is great but I had a 91 Honda CRX Si and it got 30 mpg all day long. Granted it wasnt a big heavy car but neither is a Civic nowadays. I think its all a bunch of bs about cars not being able to get XXX mpg. We are going to suck the world dry of oil then there will be magical cars that run off air and water for $20K+ more for the standard. And this one gets me :rofl: Fuel Doctor - Fuel Efficiency Booster - Gray - FD-47 If you look up the revies they say its a board with led's and thats it. :program::thinkerg: Wish I woulda thought of that.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
It does work! Ron Popeil told me so right after he fixed my bald spot with Hair-n-Can!

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
. I think its all a bunch of bs about cars not being able to get XXX mpg....
I got XXXmpg in my FJ just the other day... at highway speed. You must not have the same mod yet :rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts