Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I'm not so sure what they had to say because I didn't bring it back to them. Jacque at TRDparts4u supplied me with a new driveshaft which was installed by a good friend and mechanic. It is what it is unfortunately. Since my last post the shuddering has eased up some and is completely gone if I drive in fourth. I am hoping with the passing days that it might completely go away. Sooner or later I am going to have to deal with the root cause. I guess I will start with a new TC and go from there but not anytime soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Good Luck with that and keep us updated. Save that old driveshaft, you never know...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have an 07 TRD, bought new with 130000 mls. I regret to say that I , until 6 mos ago, never thought about the tranny fluid. I know better now and was taught better. Anyway, my FJ developed the shudder and I had no clue what it was. I bought new tires, needed them anyways, but no fix for the shudder. Took it to a dealer in Kansas while visiting relatives and of course they never heard of this and had no clue what could be causing it. i told them I wanted a transmission flush and they told me "Toyota does not recommend a complete flush anymore", so I had them do a partial(about 4 qts.) flush. Didn't change a thing. I took it to my home town dealer in Kennesaw Ga because they are oh so smart..... They kept it overnight and called me the next day with this. Nothing wrong with the tranny but, your engine monts are shot as are the tranny mounts. The universal on the driveshaft needs replacedd and you need front brakes. I say, could this be causing the shudder? could be.... $2300 later I start researching on the internet (better late than never, right?) on the forum here. Lo and behold I find I am not alone! After a lot of reaaading I feeel that ii haave narrowed it down to the torque converter. I go to a AAMCO dealer who patiently liistens to my story and then hands me a small red tube and says put this in and if it works come back and give me $10. Hmmmmm, I say. So, of course I pay him the $10 right then, drop in the bucket right? The first day after putting it in and then 25 mile test drive, maybe a little better. Day 2, 20 mile drive, definitly better but still shuddering. Day 3 50% fixed. By day 5 95% fixed, only very occasional shudder is happening. This is now day 10 and I can say that in the last 3 days not a single shudder through 4 tanks of gas (wish that stuff helped the gas mileage) driving my son and my brother through the north Ga mountains. I figure this is a temporary fix at best but my baby is acting right for now. if (when) it starts back I will do a complete flush. Hope this helps someone else at least temporarily. Oh yea, the name of the stuff is " Dr Tranny's instant shudder fix" and I think you can find it for about half of what i paid. Good luck!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just to give an update, I guess it was almost a year ago that I did the flush and I have been shudder free for most of that time but about two weeks ago it started to return. I'm not sure how many miles I have put on it since then but it is my daily driver. I guess a new torque converter is in my future but I will give "doc tranny" a shot to see if I can buy some more time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
This product is a friction modifier and what it does is make the ATF more slippery. So along with reducing a shudder it reduces the holding power of all the clutches inside your transmission. I would never use this stuff im my transmission.
:wave: I was just waiting for you to chime in on it.:rofl: I remember the trans shop recommending lubeguard after I had an auto trans rebuild on my ZF HP22. I think you mentioned that it was good stuff. Which one would be best for the Toyota trans jimmie, red? LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
:wave: I was just waiting for you to chime in on it.:rofl: I remember the trans shop recommending lubeguard after I had an auto trans rebuild on my ZF HP22. I think you mentioned that it was good stuff. Which one would be best for the Toyota trans jimmie, red? LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
LOL :lol:, Lubegard Red works in most transmissions and would be a good choice. Just looked in the Lubegard book and they recommend either Red or Platinum. :cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks! I am still "shudder free" as of now, but I understand what you are saying. Will schedule a complete fluid change ASAP. Is there a certain fluid that is best? And what about lube guard? Thanks Jimmiee

·
Registered
505 Posts
The first time I drained my pan this is what came out after letting it drain for about an hour with the trans pretty warm but not hot. Just over 3 qts. from the factory fill.

DEWFPO
Just to concure that I have done the trans pan three times and measured all three times and this amount is correct, around 3 quarts. I drain my trans pan every year which is about between 15 and 20k miles. No problem so far at 82k miles.

George

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined this forum because I was experiencing a shudder while in D at about 20mph but not in 4. My local mechanic studied the issue with a local transmission shop and he recommended a friction modifier. $10 and two weeks later the shudder has not came back and shifting seems to have also improved. Cheaper than a new converter from the dealer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been driving my 2007 FJ with 122k miles the last month in 4 to avoid having my teeth rattled out at 35-45 mph in 4D. After I read this line of posts I went to the shop I use Tuesday and had them do the full tranny fluid change. $193.50
Day one right out of the driveway of the shop hit 30 mph and I could see the grill guard bouncing it was shuddering so hard, but nothing at 40+ where it was worse before. Continued shuddering at lower gear shift points for the 6 mile ride to my office. Ride home on highway with no issues.
Day two drive 20 miles through 20+ stoplights to work each way. Very little shuddering, nothing like it was.
Day three ride to work today I didn't notice any shuddering.
Thanks for the advice, we'll see how it goes long term.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I've been driving my 2007 FJ with 122k miles the last month in 4 to avoid having my teeth rattled out at 35-45 mph in 4D. After I read this line of posts I went to the shop I use Tuesday and had them do the full tranny fluid change. $193.50
Day one right out of the driveway of the shop hit 30 mph and I could see the grill guard bouncing it was shuddering so hard, but nothing at 40+ where it was worse before. Continued shuddering at lower gear shift points for the 6 mile ride to my office. Ride home on highway with no issues.
Day two drive 20 miles through 20+ stoplights to work each way. Very little shuddering, nothing like it was.
Day three ride to work today I didn't notice any shuddering.
Thanks for the advice, we'll see how it goes long term.
And there you have it! :grin

Welcome to the forum. Please provide your address so we can send you the bill! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I replaced all the AT fluid and added a tube of Tranny Shudder Guard, and it worked for about 10,000 miles, but now the shudder has returned. I am repeating the above process with the expectation of same positive results. I will update this forum when done.
Ray

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My torque converter started shuddering this week in my '08 with 59,300 mi on it. Was relieved to read here that a fluid change may cure it. I was going to just drop the pan and do it myself, but since it was shuddering, I decided to cough up the extra money for the machine flush. Took it to the dealer today and had them do the flush with the fancy machine. Flush normally requires 12 qts of fluid, mine took 20quarts to get clean. Amazing how dirty it got in the last 30k miles. Fortunately they did not charge me for the extra 8qts of fluid, even though most of the cost of the job is tranny fluid. Drove it home, didn't shudder once. Thanks to everyone here

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Another home run! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Every now and then a older thread comes up and catches my interest enough to read from the very beginning, this is one of them.... Jimmie really great job of providing the excellent info and contributing for the almost two years. It's seems a few are committed to wanting to replace parts, just wondering those that have done the fluid change how many switched to synthetic and some have had the shudder return how many of those were after switching to synthetic. Good thread.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts