Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im just got home from the dealer I too have a shudder problem at 38.000 mi. The dealer says he thinks it will be a waste of money to change the fluid. He quote me 2400 to repair the torque converter. Im so sick over this,being on a fixed low income. I never abuse my FJ . FJ stands for friggin Junk!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im just got home from the dealer I too have a shudder problem at 38.000 mi. The dealer says he thinks it will be a waste of money to change the fluid. He quote me 2400 to repair the torque converter. Im so sick over this,being on a fixed low income. I never abuse my FJ . FJ stands for friggin Junk!
38k? why is it not covered under the power-train warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
So you are going to believe the dealer rather than all the people here on this forum who fixed their shudder with a fluid change? Friggen Junk?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
its 10 years old out of warranty and the other thing is im going to try the oil change and maybe the solenoid repair if that dont change things just when your on SSD its hard to waste any money. I bought this truck in hopes it was well made and kept a value . I was wrong I guess as far as well made goes if the oil change clears up the shudder I will eat my words.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just turned 172k miles on my 08 FJ and still have never had the shudder ever and there is a reason. I have be doing a pan only drain and fill at every 10k miles since I hit 25k miles and only use Toyota WS ATF. It's just like changing your engine oil with the exception of using a pump to put the fluid back into the transmission. Believe all the information you read and hear on this forum and other Toyota truck forum that you need to flush out the transmission if you get a shudder on these transmissions. Yes I do over maintain my FJ just like all my vehicles that I own and with 172k miles on FJ I will continue too!:grin

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
71gs3504sp, I don't even use a pump, I just gravity feed the ATF down a funnel into a tube that I put in the trans fill port. You just have to be careful the tube doesn't touch the exhaust pipe but it's never been a problem.

PaGeorgee, I know you're frustrated but please hold the 'friggin' junk until after you have all the atf changed out. I too am dismayed that you take the idiot service writer's word over the wealth of information and first hand experience on this forum. The fluid exchange is the least expensive 'repair' you can do and 95% of the time it SOLVES the problem. You may be one of the 5% but it's certainly worth a shot, the odds are with you.

I wish you the best of luck.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
its 10 years old out of warranty and the other thing is im going to try the oil change and maybe the solenoid repair if that dont change things just when your on SSD its hard to waste any money. I bought this truck in hopes it was well made and kept a value . I was wrong I guess as far as well made goes if the oil change clears up the shudder I will eat my words.
I appreciate your concern, but something just doesn't add up here.

Please confirm, it's a 2007 model with only 38K miles? And it has what you "suspect" is a transmission shudder?

I think a true transmission shudder at only 38K miles is EXTREMELY unlikely, and that there may be something else going on.

Are you the original owner, or did you purchase this vehicle used?

If purchased used, did you run a Carfax, or perform some other background check to verify that the odometer display is accurate?

Did you purchase this from a dealer, or private party?

Does the vehicle have a salvage title?

Pull a sample of the ATF from the transmission fill port, siphoning it directly into a clean glass jar. If the fluid doesn't still have a detectable pink coloration, either the transmission has more than 38K miles on it, or it has been abused in some way. If there is any "milkiness" to it, it is water contaminated, and that's an indication of other serious problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I have to admit it I was wrong in a sense, I added a bottle of "Dr Tranny's Instant torque converter shudder fixx and it did its job immediately . I still get a tiny shudder here and there but nothing like it was. So i'm going to do a flush as soon as I can afford too and a filter and a bottle of Doc Tranny's then I think it will be gone all together. I'm sorry for what I said about the FJ. But I never had to do a trans over haul at 39.000 miles. I sent the service manager my findings so maybe he can suggest this as a cheaper alternative {yeah Right}? Now i'm a leary to let them do my oil change ,but yet I dont trust any other's to do it either knowing how critical it is to do it right, using the tube and temp method to get the level just right. Once its done I have know way of knowing if it has the correct level. Why couldn't they have a dip stick,was it too hard to make it work. The other thing is why did DR Tranny work is my oil no good ? My truck sat around a lot just used some times as little as one trip to the Dr office and back. that's why it has 39.000 miles

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Some dealers will only change what's in the pan. That's only about 3.3 +/- quarts. A complete fluid exchange is from 12-15 qts. Make sure you know which one you are getting. The first option is Good, the second option is Best. And, by all means, take it to someplace you trust. Maybe not the dealer who is trying to sell you a new transmission.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I hate to dig this problem up all over again but I’m new here (obviously) and have been experiencing the same TC/ whatever else shudder as described. Happens around 1400 rpm/ about 45 mph, etc.
My FJ has ~145,000 miles on it and I started experiencing the shudder last May. Read almost all the forums and had a full flush done at a reputable third party shop. Note: they did not use OEM fluid- not really sure what they used. But after that and adding Shudder Fix, the problem went away....until last week. I got about 7000 miles on it before it returned.

Took the vehicle on a trip, used 4wd quite a bit and did some drifting in the snow (first mistake). The shudder returned strong as ever and has been getting worse. So here’s my question: has anyone had any luck doing a SECOND flush and shudder fix add in? Debating on whether I should do that, replace the TC, or try to get rid of the thing because I’m not about to put a new tranny it it. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The reason for shudder this early means the transmission overheated quite a few times and the oil lost its lubricity subsequently glazing the clutch lining. Prevention is the only cure and transmission cooler combined with 30k transmission flush is the only way to prevent this. If done right this otherwise robust old design A750 goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Since you don't really know how much ATF was removed or what type of fluid was used I would recommend a COMPLETE fluid exchange with the proper ATF and no additives. A pan drain is less than 4 qts. vs. a complete exchange which can be 12+ qts.

You can do it yourself if you want and save some money.

The next time you put the drivetrain in a high torque, low rpm situation shift the trans into 4 from D.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gotcha...took the FJ to the shop to see if they could confirm that this is a fluid issue again. They kept it for several days and had the tech drive it quite a bit. They said it's definitely a TC issue (which we already knew). They didn't want to flush it again saying they were afraid it might clog something up. I was just going to have them flush again as DEWFPO said to do but they're pretty reluctant. They said to put more Shudderfix in it (already has ~3 tubes) and see if that fixes it. Otherwise new TC & tranny (not gonna happen).

Would you guys advise just pushing a flush and seeing if it works? Thanks for the help!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts