Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im have the famous shake at low rpm speed im just going to bite the bullet and change the convert insted playing wag a moe..

Any suggestions of a really good after market upgraded torque converter or should i just buy a rebuilt or a new oem one any suggestion helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks for the suggestion. I was going to do the transmission flush but i was thinking why pay 250 to 300 for the flush its a 50/50 shoot if it fixes the problem or a just band aid ill just have my mechanic swap the TC and new ATF.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Before setting yourself up for a ton of additional headaches with seized & broken bolts, broken wiring harness connectors, and hours of potentially unnecessary work, why not spend less than $40 and perform one or two transmission pan drain-and-refill cycles using WS-equivalent fluid? Valvoline Max Life WS equivalent fluid is available for <$20/gallon, and you can do a pan drain & refill in less than 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FJTest is right.... I would definitely try other methods before replacing the TC. There is a thread on here somewhere explaining how to do the flush yourself and it's really not complicated. I've done that and still no improvement after a month or two. I even tried the shudder fix, although I'm not sure I used enough, and still have the issue. My next course of action is to replace the TC, see how that goes, and then possibly the valve body. Good luck and keep us posted. It seems like there's a lot of people resolving the issue on here through the dealer somehow but not a lot of DIY's who fixed it themselves and all the steps they took.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did try the drain and fill method on a 2 gen tacoma which is the same drive train as the fj and it didnt help at all. I dont want to spend the money and change to TC but my mechanic was nice enough to help me out and say he will changer me 300 in labor to swap the TC ill just have to bring him everything..

Idk if anyone out there tried the flush and actually worked elemating the shutter

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Idk if anyone out there tried the flush and actually worked elemating the shutter
I'f you'd take the time to read any of the threads here about shuddering lockup clutch issues (like https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/122920-shuddering-transmission-problems.html), you would see that for many FJ owners, simply changing the transmission fluid (and properly maintaining it afterward) permanently resolver the shudder problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kinda hard to pass up that deal... From what I gather, and this is only from reading thread after thread, it seems like a lot of people have had success with the flush, but it was a full flush, running 14-16 quarts of fluid through. Haven't seen too many saying that a pan drop helps although I think the point FJTest is trying make is it's a good starting point. But again, hard to pass up that deal, think I'd go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update i dropped the pan today added new fluid plus a shudder fixx now ill just have to test drive. My mechanic here said lets try that first with the shudder fix its stoppes the shudder or reduces it alot then go with the full blown flush at the dealer

·
Registered
244 Posts
To prevent this for good, after the new torque converter install a transmission cooler and a magnefine filter. Then do full flush every 30000 with a synthetic ATF and you are safe for long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ArupFJ i was thinking of doing that put a trany cooler but cant seem.to a good video or description on how to do it. If you a link that would be awesome and like to the magnified filter as well

·
Registered
244 Posts
@ArupFJ i was thinking of doing that put a trany cooler but cant seem.to a good video or description on how to do it. If you a link that would be awesome and like to the magnified filter as well

Follow this but the routing is different. I followed the common method thats also recommended by cooler manufacturers that is after the radiator the hose to the cooler and then to the transmission. I installed the Magnefine filter in between the cooler and the transmission by splicing the hose. Will post pictures of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts