Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, this is odd.

BTW: what type of spindles are those? They look quite different from my stock guys (which have the TC gussets welded on them).

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Stock spindles and TC newer gussets which are two peices welded on. Arms were powdercoated red by the previous owner....TC sent them raw.
Damn it. They look cooler than my old gen versions :mecry:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Just laugh at it, because that's the purpose of the post.

I feel like the guy in the "enlargement" commercials that just gained an inch and a half. Hahaha.

I'd be more concerned, but it's all irrelevant once stuffing 35s. I have little fear of upper joint is the limiting on mine, but it's my own fault for not listening to TCao, Marco @ DSM, and many others that said 33" travel gains supersede 35" clearance gains on the FJC.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
銀チタン;2137179 said:
I feel like the guy in the "enlargement" commercials that just gained an inch and a half. Hahaha.
Sticktly speaking, I can only stuff an inch and a quarter (not an inch and a half) more than FJnewb can :lol: Actually I guess we don't know if I stuff that or if my junk just droops by an inch and a quarter lower :worried: Is there a pill for that too? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
銀チタン;2137179 said:
I'd be more concerned, but it's all irrelevant once stuffing 35s. I have little fear of upper joint is the limiting on mine, but it's my own fault for not listening to TCao, Marco @ DSM, and many others that said 33" travel gains supersede 35" clearance gains on the FJC.
I guess that's now into whether a body lift makes any sense and all the can of worms on that front.

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
銀チタン;2137179 said:
??? For a guy looking for a solid axle setup for rock crawling, lost uptravel due to 35s shouldn't be much of a concern. For going fast perhaps, but not as big of a deal for crawling.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Is it possible that one UCA is 1" and the other is 1.25" uniball?

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
For the Camburg to Total Chaos comparison...yes, Camburgs is 1.25" where TC is 1".

Unless mir's TC setup is different it should be 1" uniballs just like my TC. Thats what the TC kits are spec'd with.

If they are different it still would explain the substantial geometry differences we are seeing at bump. His are still at max misalignment even tho, bumped much lower. Mine are at max misalignment at the wheel well...which is why we didn't bother modifying the fender wells with the TC 2" kit to try and get more travel.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
For the Camburg to Total Chaos comparison...yes, Camburgs is 1.25" where TC is 1".

Unless mir's TC setup is different it should be 1" uniballs just like my TC. Thats what the TC kits are spec'd with.

If they are different it still would explain the substantial geometry differences we are seeing at bump. His are still at max misalignment even tho, bumped much lower. Mine are at max misalignment at the wheel well...which is why we didn't bother modifying the fender wells with the TC 2" kit to try and get more travel.
Fjamming said:
Agree. There's only one version of the TC 2" LT kit that I know of and we should have the same kit. As Newb's photos c.f. mine show, there's something weirdly different about the geometry. It's not just that I get the full 11.5" travel vs. 10.25", it's where the top of the upper arm ends up being at full stuff.

I think between the two sets of photos (assuming I take more and better photos) this seems like it should be solvable. At this point (because of the aforementioned) I'd venture it's less likely anything intrinsic in the arms per se and more likely something to do with the installation geometry, but who knows. This is why we measure stuff, right? I think in the earlier posts FJnewb was kind of incredulous that none of us who'd had this kit on since as early as 2008 had ever done the measurement. Sure would have helped if I'd've done this when I got the kit installed, right? My bad.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
??? For a guy looking for a solid axle setup for rock crawling, lost uptravel due to 35s shouldn't be much of a concern. For going fast perhaps, but not as big of a deal for crawling.
Why I said I'd be more concerned if.....

My point. With 35s, achieving the full travel numbers is irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
So... the spindle is the difference? That seem to be the only difference left.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Weird... and I dont even know what mine measures up to.

Soon though. Need to take off a CV- Ill measure then.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So... the spindle is the difference? That seem to be the only difference left.
Nah - we've both got the stock spindle, only difference is I have the older and Newb the newer gen gusset (which changes nothing about the geometry).

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Weird... and I dont even know what mine measures up to.

Soon though. Need to take off a CV- Ill measure then.

:cheers:
Awesome. Take photos! :rocker: This is science, damn it! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Getting old sucks....I can't see on iPhone, so I can't offer much verbiage, believe it or not, to the comparison y'all are making, but found similar shots to add.

To stay consistent with the information others provided, however irrelevant, the TCs are the HD variety.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts