Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some searching and couldn't find much on the topic. Only on small thread. Can you use 35s with the TC 2" LT Suspension? I know they don't recommend it and I imagine there would be rubbing. But how much? And couldn't a 1" body lift fix that. Or would that screw handling up to much? Any advice would be great! thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a nice build! thanks for the link. Those tires look pretty big on there with that suspension lift. I'm sure someone has done a 1" body lift with the LT suspension. I'll do some more searching... unless someone knows where to look :D

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Nick has 35s, but it sounds like he will have to do a daystar spacer in the rear possibly with his MT 3 link setup since the springs are flexy and he may carry a fair bit of gear at times. I'm sure he will post up the exact setup he is going with once everything is finished up this weekend.

I believe a fair amount of trimming had to be done on the front as well to get the 35s to fit.

I recommend looking for a thread here on wheel travel with varios size tires. I know a member did a comparison between 35"s and 33"s and found that they didn't acheive full travel with 35s. Think it was Mir207 who did the study - I don't know if he was rrunning a TC LT at that point, but he is now if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
it can be done. you will have to play with wheel back spacing and there is alot of grinding and cutting to do. You will also need to extend your bump stops in the rear. Body lift may help a little, but the front body mount is still in the way. even after chopping the body mount as much as possible I still rubbed it.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Mark said that you would need to change out the bump stop for the new springs for the extended travel; however, do you guys know if that would still be true if you have Light Racing Jounce shocks?

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Nick - when I spoke with LT awhile back it sounded like he was getting more engagement on your setup than he wanted for their final product.

They are now doing the 1.5" kit with shaft extenders for their basic rear LT kit. As you pointed out though you can run 3", but from what I could gather LT made it sound like a tight fit with early engagment. Could be totally wrong though and they might just be trying something different on mine.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Here are the shock extenders that you'll need if you don't have the 3" JS

Shaft Extender for Jounce Shock - 25603

This will allow you to fine tune a 1.5" setup anywhere from 1"-7".
Thanks Newb.

STC, I am looking forward to seeing your setup at the Jambo. I am thinking of doing a 2" widener and an atlas and heard you have had both (though you are on a 3.5" widener now I believe).

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I've been doing some searching and couldn't find much on the topic. Only on small thread. Can you use 35s with the TC 2" LT Suspension? I know they don't recommend it and I imagine there would be rubbing. But how much? And couldn't a 1" body lift fix that. Or would that screw handling up to much? Any advice would be great! thanks!
You can run 35" tires with the Total Chaos 2" long travel kit for the FJ Cruiser. You will need to lower your bump stops in the front and rear and since your mentioned having Light Racing Jounce Shocks you can get the shaft extensions that you can cut down to size for your application. For those running a 33" tire you weld the two adapters together, for 35" tires I would recommend adding another 1" to the shaft extension.

For the rear we do have our Metal Tech long travel rear springs available, and they give you about a 2.75" - 3" lift in the rear the help clear bigger tires and it compliments the lift height of the Total Chaos long travel kit. We are still figuring out the shocks but the springs can be purchased for $220 for the pair.

We are running 36" Iroks on our FJ Cruiser but we are going through the trouble of chopping the IFS off and moving it forwards 2" to help clear everything properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts