Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the Summit sounds like it.

Only thing, I'm a total newbie in off roading, with a bare bones stock (except for Demello sliders) FJ. Figured at the least some new tires before I head out.

Any other stock FJ's come, or is everyone modified for off roading?
I see easy trails, everyone cool in helping an off road virgin out?

It would be just me and my pup, that's all I have left in this world, and I really need to get away. Never been out west before, sounds like the plan.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Been there for the 1st and 3rd with our stock fj and have done most all of the trails. My only problem is my co-pilot that won't let me look out the window cause she's scared I'll go off the edge. Having a CB adds to the fun but not required.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I'll second the CB, especially if you'll be alone in the FJ. Most of the time you are driving and so good to be a part of the banter, unless you like the quiet of course...

Don't need any other mods, I have driven all those trails on a stock FJ and stock Jeep TJ.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Most of the trails are for rental jeeps, other than Black Bear and Pougkepsei. You will have no problems with the trails, as there are trail leaders to get you through anything that might cause you problems. A very friendly atmosphere and great people playing with their FJ's, come on out and we will make you a very happy FJer!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am an offroad virgin myself for the most part, but will be bringing my basically stock FJ over 18 hours to make it to this! I was unsure at first until I saw all the great photos of the different trails on here (thanks everyone who put those up). Most look very tame & I can't wait for July! I picked up a portable CB from a member on here dirt cheap, I hope it reaches out far enough for what we will be doing as I really dont have a need for a mounted CB & antenna normally. I say go for it, that way Im not the only trail virgin :rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Well the first year, all but about 5 people were bone stock. The FJ had just come out at that point.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Stock will get you most any where you will want to go. I did Yankee Boy Basin while mine was still stock. I will also recommend the CB, you can always turn it off.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Only thing, I'm a total newbie in off roading, with a bare bones stock (except for Demello sliders) FJ. Figured at the least some new tires before I head out.

Any other stock FJ's come, or is everyone modified for off roading?
I see easy trails, everyone cool in helping an off road virgin out?
I did it last year in my 4x2 and am going again. It was my first and last time off road. Everyone was helpful. You should get a CB. Trust me when you are inches from going off the side after having your wheels spin, it helps to have someone calm you down and guide you.

taltyman said:
My only problem is my co-pilot that won't let me look out the window cause she's scared I'll go off the edge.
I won't look down because I am scared I will go off the edge. It's bad when the driver is scared of heights.

·
Registered
934 Posts
A stock FJ is very capable at the Summit. Gericurl76 came his first year in a stock FJ and did every trail with us with no problem. A stock FJ will do Black bear without even blinking. If you are getting new tires you could most likely do poughkeepsie up to the wall even but if you were ogin to do that I would recommend skids too. But most people don't do poughkeepsie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. I'm a newbie as well and have the 2010 TT so I'm sure I'm ok for off-roading, but what type of CB would you guys recommend? Can I just get a portable one?

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Hey guys. I'm a newbie as well and have the 2010 TT so I'm sure I'm ok for off-roading, but what type of CB would you guys recommend? Can I just get a portable one?
I'd recommend against a portable one as they don't work all that well. There are a million writeups on how to install a Cobra 75wxst and because you guys are so spoiled with your fancy FJ's, walcott even has a "FJ Package" Complete Toyota FJ Cruiser CB Radio System "Big Bill Combo" at WalcottCB.com

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
There was a bone stock FJ on Black Bear in 2009. I happened to sit with them at the Metaltech party and we got talking about their run that day and then I remembered they were on BB in the stocker. That in itself is not a big deal as lots of stock FJs have been down BB. The hard to fathom part was that was their first real experience off road. I had to ask why they choose BB for their Baptism. They answered "it sounded like fun". I guess it really boosted their confidence as they came back in 2010 and were leading trails. Black Bear is not much of a technical challenge but it sure can be a test to the nerves. My adult son did BB last year with me and was comfortable with it. I told him he could walk any or all of it, as progress is so slow that walking is not a problem. He stayed in his seat. Later that day we did Ophir at a very high rate of speed (not thru town) and I am quite sure he would have gladly walked a lot of it.

Anybody running trails at the Summit who are new or in anyway uncomfortable be sure to let your trip leader know of your concerns. He and everyone else will be very supportive and helpfull. Concur on the CB, it is good to hear what is happening as you move along.

Alan

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
I am always amazed when I see what a bone-stock FJ can do in Ouray. Bring it and wheel!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm crossing all my fingers and my toes that I'll be able to make it to the Summit! It'll be my first meet and, most likely, my first off-roading experience. I'm happy to know that, not only will I not be the only newb there, but that I'll be okay stock. I had a lot of concerns, but man, you guys are serious confidence boosters :) I can't wait to go and get to meet everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
You only live once! This will be my first year at the summit and I am excited! Kind of stock - just installed lift, tires, skids and doing cb soon... Do something exciting! I'm doing Black Bear, but really want to do Pougkepsei. Might do it outside of the group. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I am always amazed when I see what a bone-stock FJ can do in Ouray. Bring it and wheel!
Bob! can't wait to meet you! I am looking forward to the Summit!!!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
A stock FJ is very capable at the Summit. Gericurl76 came his first year in a stock FJ and did every trail with us with no problem. A stock FJ will do Black bear without even blinking. If you are getting new tires you could most likely do poughkeepsie up to the wall even but if you were ogin to do that I would recommend skids too. But most people don't do poughkeepsie.
My first summit and last year's did not feel any different although I have "added" somewhat to my truck. I wanted to get all the wear I could out of the stock tires before changing them up. It did fine. I even took the "hard" way up each time even if there was a bypass.

My wife drove that first summit and it was her first time off-road in a stock FJ and she is afraid of heights too. Now she's a demon-woman behind the wheel.

The wife:

·
Registered
126 Posts
In 2009 i only owned my FJ for three months and went to the Summit. It handled everything really well. It was a great event and I hope to back this year. You really get to see what these things can do. You also get to see some great rigs and see every option for modifying available. Every FJ'er must go at least once.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts