Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some used OEM rock rails and not sure the best way to fix them up. Currently it just has some flaky paint on the covered areas and of course a bunch of scratches on the bottom and some on the visible side. I need a solution I can do in 12 hours or so.
I live in a city right now so no where to do this work, Going to be driving to friends thats 2 hours away so it would be best to get it done in one shot. I'd like to get them all nice, paint the mounting points in the frame for rust protection, new bolts, and chase the threads clean.

Premium Member
Use a flap sanding wheel in an angle grinder to remove rust

prime with self etching primer

Rattle can paint with hard bed liner for textured finish (Rust-Oleum 248914 matches my powder coat)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You! I actually don't have an angle grinder but I do have a corded drill, looks like flap sanding wheels can be used on drills.

What grit should I use? I'll probably hit the entire slider with it and then paint.

Premium Member
Start with 100 grit and work your way up to 220. Be sure to spray primer on cleaned areas right away between work sessions.

I used good old rustoleum because it is easy to touch up. Bed liner can come loose, trap water, and be difficult to maintain. I have 3m anti-skid tape on the top for good footing and the occasional shin exfoliation.

Registered
I second rustoleum! They have a professional
series can available at Home Depot. You can add clear coat to get the sheen you want, they make glossy, satin and flat. I find that you can spray with whatever sheen paint you get, then use the clear coats to adjust and protect after.

Premium Member
Thank You! I actually don't have an angle grinder but I do have a corded drill, looks like flap sanding wheels can be used on drills.
Harbor Freight has angle grinders for $15 and the flap sanding wheels. It will work much better than drill motor.

Premium Member
Definitely agree on the rustoleum. That is what I used on my sliders and touching up is super easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts