Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm am very close to finalizing a deal on a 2011 FJ Cruiser. Adventure Package (Canada). I have an open race dual axle trailer with electric brakes. It will require a 7 pin connection to charge the trailer battery and operate the brakes. Total loaded weight of the trailer is around 3000 lbs.

Should I get the Toyota factory hitch or go after market. If after market what brand is recommended.

I am located in London, Ontario and would appreciate hearing from local FJ owners and hear how they like their rig.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
677 Posts
The factory reciever is as good as it gets! As far as the wireing there are several threads on converting to a 7 pin! Check them out first before you go ahead and get the factory wireing done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

I'm am very close to finalizing a deal on a 2011 FJ Cruiser. Adventure Package (Canada). I have an open race dual axle trailer with electric brakes. It will require a 7 pin connection to charge the trailer battery and operate the brakes. Total loaded weight of the trailer is around 3000 lbs.

Should I get the Toyota factory hitch or go after market. If after market what brand is recommended.

I am located in London, Ontario and would appreciate hearing from local FJ owners and hear how they like their rig.

Regards,

Bob
After much research, the factory hitch and 4 point plug are NOT adequate to handle the 5,000 trailer rating of the FJC. You can get an aftermarket hitch such as the Draw TITE CL IV Hitch Toyota FJ Cruiser which does match the FJC rating. You also need matching 7 point wiring and a brake controller. I just went all through this in equipping my '10 FJC. A local recreation vehicle dealership ordered and installed these things for me. With this setup my FJC pulls my travel trailer just fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I have a Drawtite Brake Controller in my current SUV and intend on retaining the part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I have a Draw TITE Brake Controller in my current SUV and intend on retaining the part.

·
Registered
677 Posts
After much research, the factory hitch and 4 point plug are NOT adequate to handle the 5,000 trailer rating of the FJC. You can get an aftermarket hitch such as the Draw TITE CL IV Hitch Toyota FJ Cruiser which does match the FJC rating. You also need matching 7 point wiring and a brake controller. I just went all through this in equipping my '10 FJC. A local recreation vehicle dealership ordered and installed these things for me. With this setup my FJC pulls my travel trailer just fine.
Interesting! Can you share the information you found stateing the factory reciever is not adequate?:)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi

Regards,

Bob
I recommend the OEM hitch + OEM wiring harness (comes with converter) + Tekonsha P-3 controller and a suitable wiring/adapter kit. I used the E-trailer ETBC7 kit but with the addition of a second 40amp 10 gauge wire connected to 'reverse lights' (purple) pin of the 7-way connector. E-trailer has a video showing how you can wire it their ETBC7 and a controller (using OEM wiring harness). They suggest running the wires up through the frame. I choose instead to go up into the jack compartment and then up the drivers side to the dash and then through the firewall. I then mounted the circuit breakers into a plastic junction box which I bolted onto the driver side fender well.

You should be able to substitute your existing controller without any problem.

IMO, the OEM is the best hitch option for a factory rear bumper (if you were to go with an aftermarket rear bumper, then get a bumper with good hitch option). It's a class 3, and offers the best departure angle of any hitch option for the factory rear bumper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
quick question in regards to the oem hitch.. i have the 08tt and it looks like it has the stock skid plate under it.. can i still keep the skid plate with the oem hitch?

·
Registered
677 Posts
quick question in regards to the oem hitch.. i have the 08tt and it looks like it has the stock skid plate under it.. can i still keep the skid plate with the oem hitch?
Yes:)

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
The factory receiver is fine. I have no issues towing 5k.
I did wire a brake controller. I bought the slimist/smallest digital controller I could find. About $140

There is a great write up on adding a 7 pin harness

I found that the factory hitch tucks up a lot cleaner then the aftermarket kits

1 - 11 of 11 Posts