Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I am posting in the right place...

I recently purchased a SmittyBuilt D-Ring Hitch Receiver for the Silver Turtle. I followed the instructions and tightened the bolt that holds the D-Ring on the hitch receiver. I went out to my car today and noticed that the D-Ring fell off...?

I doubt it was stolen, but you never know.

Is there a more secure way to keep the D-Ring on the receiver to prevent theft or it falling off?

Thanks for the input! :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, the point of having that shackle back there is to be able to hook up straps quickly and effectively. Dont think it would fall off on it's own, but it's possible. I carry mine in the truck and only use it when wheeling or I need it for work. Keeping it hooked up all the time has it's risks as you have experienced.

If it's there for looks (which it does look pretty cool) you can wrap the bolt threads with tephlon tape to prevent it from falling out. Theft can't be stopped unless it's welded, so keep an extra shackle on hand.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Hopefully I am posting in the right place...

I recently purchased a SmittyBuilt D-Ring Hitch Receiver for the Silver Turtle. I followed the instructions and tightened the bolt that holds the D-Ring on the hitch receiver. I went out to my car today and noticed that the D-Ring fell off...?

I doubt it was stolen, but you never know.

Is there a more secure way to keep the D-Ring on the receiver to prevent theft or it falling off?

Thanks for the input! :)
It IS pretty popular to steal these actually.
Though, you also might not have tightened it enough.

The most secure way is to just leave the actual bow-shackle in your FJ.

However, if you do want it to be outside, do this:
Take a crescent wrench, place it on the pin, tighten up the pin very snug. You will not be able to remove the pin by hand after this and will have to use a tool to remove it. I always do this and i have never had any stolen or fall off.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've found them on the trail before so they do come loose.
I crank mine down with a crescent wrench so it doesn't fall off or get stolen. I keep the wrench close by so I can loosen the shackle when needed.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I have one that loosens up all the time. I have started safety wiring with a snap type clip I found in the garage. Hopefully I will keep it this time. I have actually found it just holding by a thread or two.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
First, keep it in the truck . . . but handy and not buried. You just keep it in the bag with your strap. When you get your strap out you grab a shackle with it. No big deal. I haven't come across many shackles that don't rust but am always amused when someone needs to use it and the bolt is rusted tight. :lol: The rattle of multiple shackles on a trail (such as the Summit trails) that will never require it is also entertaining/annoying.

Second, the end of many straps will fit right into the 2" x 2" receiver hole and then you insert the pin through it. This method eliminates the need for the shackle but will not allow more than one strap to be attached for recovery.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,946 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one of the D-ring hitches here soon but I probably would take it off untill i need it as well, I once had a train coupler hitch that i busted while offroading :mecry: it was a very sad day :mecry:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just a free plug...................................
O.K. I need to play, too. I made a post several months ago about receiving several screw pin shackles from a friendly deal (3 - 5 gal. buckets full). I am going to bring these to the summit if you guys want to buy some of them off of me. There are several, and I will never use them by myself. This is what I have:
8 - 1" (10ton) C.M. brand shackles
20 - 5/8" C.M., Crosby, and a couple of Japanese shackles (3 3/4 - 4 1/2 ton)
20 - 3/4" C.M., Crosby, and a couple of Japenese shackles (4 3/4 - 6 1/2 ton)

I have looked up retail prices on the net and avg. prices are:
1"=$40., 3/4"=$21.50, and 5/8'= $15.

I'll sell them all for about 1/2 price:
1"= $20., 3/4"= $11., and the 5/8=$8. and the Japanese ones a dollar or two cheaper!

Let me know what you think....I'm not going to bring them if you don't think I can unload them (The extra weight will probably lower my MPG by about 1/2!!!):rofl:
This is my contribution to the Summit........................:cheers:
Jax':wave:
So, all you guys that have lost or had your shackles stolen.............
I'LL HAVE SOME FOR YOU TO REPLACE OR BUY EXTRAS

Jax':wave:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts