Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking at home fitting a 'Hidden Hitch Class III Receiver Hitch' click here to see web page from etrailer.com to my 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams edition. Also as anyone had experience with the 'T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector' from etrailer.com that is used for the electrical connection with this hitch?

The website says it's a simple job to connect to the wiring behind the tail light assembly click here to see webpage Seems installation is bolt on for the hitch itself, no problem there, but I have the rear skid plate on the Trail Teams edition. Has anyone fitted this hitch to a TT edition? Will it fit under the OEM skid plate?

This is all for the Horizion AT trailer I'm about to purchase and have been told it will need a 7 slot connector to power the Engal fridge/electric brakes/lights etc. I understand this is just a question of getting a 4 to 7 pin convertor.

I'm totally stoked about the trailer but I'm not the greatest electrician and don't want to screw the installation up (dealer wanted over $600 to fit an OEM hitch!).

Any help/advice/encouragement welcome!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking at home fitting a 'Hidden Hitch Class III Receiver Hitch' click here to see web page from etrailer.com to my 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams edition. Also as anyone had experience with the 'T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector' from etrailer.com that is used for the electrical connection with this hitch?

The website says it's a simple job to connect to the wiring behind the tail light assembly click here to see webpage Seems installation is bolt on for the hitch itself, no problem there, but I have the rear skid plate on the Trail Teams edition. Has anyone fitted this hitch to a TT edition? Will it fit under the OEM skid plate?

This is all for the Horizion AT trailer I'm about to purchase and have been told it will need a 7 slot connector to power the Engal fridge/electric brakes/lights etc. I understand this is just a question of getting a 4 to 7 pin convertor.

I'm totally stoked about the trailer but I'm not the greatest electrician and don't want to screw the installation up (dealer wanted over $600 to fit an OEM hitch!).

Any help/advice/encouragement welcome!
I prefer the OEM hitch which you can generally get for $200 or less. Though shop around, sometimes you can get it on sale for significantly less. The OEM is bolt-on and offers best departure angle w/ stock rear bumper. But you'd have to check with others about rear bumper skid compatibility.

The 'T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector' serves the basic function of the Toyota towing wiring harness, ~ $85. Again, shop around. The function of both is to provide a 4 pole connector for a basic trailer. The simplified difference between the two is price vs. plug-n-play. I prefer OEM harness, which is quite easy to install.

Your trailer, like many (and mine), however require a 7 pole connector, with brake controller and auxiliary power. This would requiring installing not only a 4 to 7 adapter but wiring at least 2 of three additional pins. One pin is for brakes: wire runs from battery to circuit breaker to brake controller to adapter. One is for auxiliary power: wire runs from batter to circuit breaker to adapter. Depending on your trailer, you may or may not need to wire the 3rd of the three additional pins. For instance, for my custom trailer, it's wired to provide more power through a separate breaker.

Etrailer sales a kit with the adapter, ETBC7, for wiring up your brake controller, yet another purchase, and a single auxiliary power circuit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Look in the for sale sections for OEM hitches, they come up for less than the stealership will charge you.

Also check e-Bay for the hitch. If you purchase the OEM version that bolts to the rear cross member you will need the hitch fascia for the stock rear bumper.

Good luck with your trailer purchase.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Any ideas about the rear skid plate on the TT? Can I retain it?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
While I was waiting for my Chaser, I put the OEM hitch and wiring harness on. Got the 4-7 pin connector. Ran wires for power and reverse. I mounted a Tekonsha Prodigy RF trailer brake controller. Swingshiftworker has some detailed threads about getting his truck and trailer all hooked up. I would suggest doing a search for his info:cheers:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I was waiting for my Chaser, I put the OEM hitch and wiring harness on. Got the 4-7 pin connector. Ran wires for power and reverse. I mounted a Tekonsha Prodigy RF trailer brake controller. Swingshiftworker has some detailed threads about getting his truck and trailer all hooked up. I would suggest doing a search for his info:cheers:
Thanks I'll look him up. Do you think a brake controller is a good addition and why? Not sure what it does.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks I'll look him up. Do you think a brake controller is a good addition and why? Not sure what it does.
If your Horizon has electric brakes you will need the controller to control the activation of the brakes on the trailer. I don't know if brakes are required with these lighter trailers. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in to help with your question.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I have an OEM hitch and installed the 7 pin connector (a 4 to 7 adapter) in the undercarriage behind the rear bumper. Previously installed it hanging from the silver trim next to the hitch, but it quickly got torn off wheeling. No such problem tucked behind the bumper but hooking up sometimes requires getting on hands and knees to make the connection.

Go here for photos and comments on the connector: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...unt-7-pole-trailer-harness-5.html#post1599296

I also installed the Prodigy wireless brake controller, which makes the hookup much easier and also enables you to pull the trailer w/different vehicles. Go here for info on that:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ess-prodigy-brake-controller.html#post1600868.

Lastly, I gave you the link to my user/towing notes in your other thread which includes comments about the addition of an 8" hitch extension to the trailer.

I added the hitch extension because the tongue on the Horizon trailer is very short (which is good for negotiating tight turns and dealing w/sharp approach and departure angles off road) but a pain when you just want to get a few things out of the rear of the FJ. I never had to remove the hitch extension while off-roading BUT if you anticipate some very tight narrow turns or steep inclines or drop-offs on the trail, it would be best to remove it before negotiating such obstacles.

Hope you find some of these ideas helpful while wheeling w/your Adventure Trailer. :cheers:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Marty,

I read your excellent write up on your Horizon experience. I can't wait to get my sweaty little hands on my new toy!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks Marty,

I read your excellent write up on your Horizon experience. I can't wait to get my sweaty little hands on my new toy!
When do you pick it up CC. Nothing like a late christmas present:cheers:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for the advice etc. I now have my trailer and I'm stoked.

I decided to go with the OEM hitch, a breeze to install and of course fits perfectly. The OEM wiring was also very easy to fit even though there where no instructions in the factory package (a quick hunt through the fourm gave me a step by step install with pics). All that's left is to fit the 4 to 7 pin plug convertor. I need to research to find the best spot that won't get torn off on the trail. There seems to be many different options. I'll keep you posted and get some pics up as soon as it stops raining!

BTW. Also having to practice reversing with this thing, jeez it's hard!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts