Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Tow Hitch, OEM vs Aftermarket

16K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Mikeys_FJ 
#1 ·
hi guys,

im new here and im in the market for a towhitch. Im just curious as to which one is better, OEM or Aftermarket tow hitch mounts. If i do go with aftermarket, which brand is best?

Thanks!

#2 ·
My 2 cents as I just installed it a couple weeks ago. Go OEM. It offers two great pluses:

1. It mounts directly to the frame with factory holes. This helps to improve the strength of the system. You're using the whole skeleton of the rig to support the tow instead of branched off members.

2. It offered the highest clearance from the ground. Most, if not all, aftermarket hitch assemblies sit below the bumper and frame. You will lose 2-3+ inches of ground clearance. Granted this only really matters if you decide to offroad, but it's something to consider.

TRDparts4u.com had/has the best price for OEM last time I checked, and I got mine from them.

One final thing... the OEM is very easy to install yourself. I only needed to "rent" a free torque wrench from AutoZone to torque the bolts. I did it in 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon.

#4 ·
If you plan on changing the rear bumper any time soon, ensure that either hitch you are looking at will work with it.

I just did the OEM and and it was so easy and has just the same towing strength as an aftermarket with less mess. Just don't forget to order the OEM wiring kit as well as it does not come with the hitch. It is so easy to do and not very time consuming. If you are into the blackout theme, the rear panel can now be ordered in black as well. Good luck!

#5 ·
Unless you can find an AM deisgn that fits like the factory one, definetly go OEM. As previously stated advantages are; height & strength, but also ease of installation plus wiring connections!

#6 ·
Hidden Hitch plus the OEM harness with the stock bumper. It takes about 20 minutes to install. If you plan on going with an aftermarket bumper, they usually have their own to fit their bumper.

#8 ·
I installed a OEM hitch about 3 weeks ago and love it, pictured with a receiver and locking pin.

I was going to go with an Aftermarket then saw one on another JF and really did not like it, the difference in clearance/takeoff was significant.

OEM is well worth the slight price increase, don't forget the wiring.

#10 ·
well, I'm in the reverse camp. I installed a Draw-tite hitch on my rig and it saved my @ss from damage at wheeltoberfest last year. It worked well for me before I upgraded to an ARB rear bumper

Yes, OEM will provide better angles, but a heavy duty piece of steel a few inches lower than the rest of your bumper and tailpipe helps minimize damage on the trail. Plus, aftermarket hitches are cheaper.

As far as strength goes, you're not going to wad up an aftermarket hitch if you stay within its tow rating, so tying into the frame isn't that big of a consideration. I highly doubt you'll shear six grade 8 bolts towing anything with the FJ. If you do, you likely have larger problems present

#25 ·
]Now that I completely fugged up my rear bumper crossmember from using a Knetic Yanker rope...The stock just completely sucks!!!!

I cant believe the OEM is so Damned weak...I bent the hitch down first time and replaced the whole A$$ end....Then I pulled it all out... yanking a truck with Bubba rope!
I realize this is an old thread. Practically everything I research in these forums is older, because I joined the club years after the FJ introduction.

For those who stumble into this thread in the future, I want to interject a few comments.

1) I realize the OEM hitch has the best clearance.
2) I also see it adds less weight.

However, based on the comments of others, the OEM bumper to which the OEM hitch mounts doesn't seem to be as strong as the crossmember that comes with some aftermarket hitches (Drawtite or Hidden Hitch)<-- this is my assumption.

I had a '96 Explorer that had been rear ended three times over the past 17 years. The Explorer sustained not even a scratch, because the hitch protected me. The last incident occurred with an E60 BMW 5-series. His bumper, and one of his front tail lights were demolished, but nothing happened to my "Exploder."

Well, I ordered the Hidden Hitch (Class III), and hopefully that thing will also protect me from future rear bumps.

#15 ·
Very easy... for the most part. It's basically plug and play. I had difficulty getting the factory cap off the wiring in the back. I could get the leverage, a little help from a screwdriver and it popped off. I'm a big guy, so getting under the driver side dash was interesting, but nothing difficult.

#21 ·
I'll throw in my two cents. I just removed Draw Tite hitch due to Exp One rear bumper install. The OEM hitch would've worked fine with, but appears that most aftermarket bumpers, with cutout of hitch, bolt to frame where the Draw Tite, Reese, others do.

#22 ·
went with a metal tech rear bumper, hitch is integrated and it looks sweet!

#26 ·
I`ll toss in my 2 cents worth.

yes the OEM has it`s pro`s with clearance`s IF wheeling is most important. But if your as serious with towing you should consider a better set up.
With the OEM I didn`t care for the fastener locations or size for that matter and saw a weakness in the load spread.

I have always used very good if not the best receivers on all my tow vehicles. I also believe that Curt is one of the best brand out there.
:simmadown:
It is of my opinion that the full frame width receivers are stronger by using the frame rails on the FJ to haul the load evenly instead of loading a center point in the rear cross member. There are 4- 8.8 grade bolts on each mounting leg.

This is a case where towing my trailer is more important than ground clearance. and it offers protection below the stock plastic bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.