Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about helping a friend pull his broken Concorde about 250 miles from my house with my fj. I know I have enough power to tow it but I'm having second thoughts about the transmission. The car weighs 3500 lbs plus the dolley weighs a bit more than 500 lbs has anyone towed this close to the max tow rating for tht long? And did anyone feel any slight differences in their transmission afterwards?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hannibal did you have an after market transmission cooler or was it still OEM when you towed 4k?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I pulled a 4200 lb. trailer 320 miles and up a 6000 ft mountain twice without a trans cooler and everything was fine. I didn`t break any land speed records doing it but the FJ pulled nice :)

·
Desert Moderator
5,856 Posts
I'm thinking about helping a friend pull his broken Concorde about 250 miles from my house with my fj. I know I have enough power to tow it but I'm having second thoughts about the transmission. The car weighs 3500 lbs plus the dolley weighs a bit more than 500 lbs has anyone towed this close to the max tow rating for tht long? And did anyone feel any slight differences in their transmission afterwards?
I think a Concorde weighs closer to 173,500 lbs empty. Just be careful when towing it not to exceed 250mph or it might get airborne...
Either way it's a shame it's broken - it was a wonderful aircraft.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ sanderhawk! Thts pretty heavy and alot of heat on the transmission, does your fj have the AT?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think a Concorde weighs closer to 173,500 lbs empty. Just be careful when towing it not to exceed 250mph or it might get airborne...
Either way it's a shame it's broken - it was a wonderful aircraft.
Lololol, I meant to say Chrysler Concorde...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not sure why your concerned about the transmission, you should be more concerned about stopping it. Cruising along you're only using possibly half the engine power to tow which means your transmission isn't being worked hard. Your transmission is only worked when starting, when climbing and when engine braking while towing. The transmission itself is designed to tow that weight and more.

The A750F is the same transmission in the LandCruiser 100 and a Land Cruiser weighs nearly 3 ton with a towing capacity of 6,500 pounds. Its also the same transmission in the 2nd gen Tundra 2UZ which weighs about the same has a 7,700lb tow capacity.

Towed my GS400 which is heavier than a concorde on an even heavier trailer and with 4.56 gears, it was brisk.

To ease your mind, I tow all the time with my 2002 4Runner with the grandpa A340 transmission and its got 330,000 miles.

Exceeded gross combined weight in my 4Runner when I towed the other 4Runner and still towed it just fine over 150 miles through mountain passes. The Honda Odyssey is heavier than the 4Runner.

If you're using a dolly, towing isn't a concern at all. If you're using an auto transporter, make sure your trailer is balanced correctly to prevent unloading of your front axle or unloading your rear axle. To heavy behind the trailer axle will cause swaying which will cause you to whip violently.

I see old Toyota trucks pulling another car from America all the way to Mexico all the time. This Tundra is just pulling 2 cars with the old A340.

So my way too long post summed up; don't worry about your transmission.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,765 Posts
Given the FJ's lighter weight, short wheel base and brakes than those described, I would not recommend exceeding the max tow rating on this vehicle, no matter what transmission is in it. You will be liable in an accident.

Due to a faulty (melted) wire run alongside the Cat. by the installer. My trailer brake controller failed on the downside of the Continental Divide pulling 4K#. LF brake smoking, downshifting, I was pushed through a red light intersection, luckily there was no cross traffic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Given the FJ's lighter weight, short wheel base and brakes than those described, I would not recommend exceeding the max tow rating on this vehicle, no matter what transmission is in it. You will be liable in an accident.

Due to a faulty (melted) wire run alongside the Cat. by the installer. My trailer brake controller failed on the downside of the Continental Divide pulling 4K#. LF brake smoking, downshifting, I was pushed through a red light intersection, luckily there was no cross traffic.

The trailer brakes not working have always been a fear of mine in all my vehicles when towing. I know someone who had a f250 towing a 4000 lb trailer and his trailer brake controller quit working on him. Even though the truck was rated for much more than 4000 he couldn’t stop in time cause he was caught off guard. The 4000 lb trailer was just to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Desert Moderator
5,856 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
It also, depends on the route. Does include many inclines, where the RPM would be on higher than average ?

How long is the distance ? whats the temperature ? do you have a stock FJ, or does it include accessories that have weight ?

Bottom line, i stopped the towing stuff, as i lost my crank and had to buy a new block that costed much.

It's your call, you know your car better than we do.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It also, depends on the route. Does include many inclines, where the RPM would be on higher than average ?

How long is the distance ? whats the temperature ? do you have a stock FJ, or does it include accessories that have weight ?

Bottom line, i stopped the towing stuff, as i lost my crank and had to buy a new block that costed much.

It's your call, you know your car better than we do.
You lost your crank probably because everyone in the middle east drives with the throttle pedal mashed through the floor board bouncing off red line.

A Chrysler Concorde and a dolly are below the max tow rating. If you're scared to tow, towing isn't for you. Hannibal had operator/installer error and was terrified by the performance of the towing vehicles brake performance which any vehicle's brakes aren't designed to stop double its weight alone. Adding armor alone on any 4x4 degrades the stock brake's performance so it only makes sense.

Most trailers from U-haul have surge brakes which means when you slow down, the trailer weight pushes against the master cylinder in the trailer tongue gets pushed by the weight which engages the trailer brakes.

·
Desert Moderator
5,856 Posts
You lost your crank probably because everyone in the middle east drives with the throttle pedal mashed through the floor board bouncing off red line.
Not true - only Nissan drivers.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nah, i meant OP is terrified if he has to ask. Obviously the OP has access to the owners manual and door jam sticker. Do the maths. You on the other hand if it was you who installed it ran the wire in a horrible location. Shame on you for bothering the exhaust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info guys! I have towed
w/ my fj before just not tht close to the maximum capacity.. I didn't know how the transmission would pull... But tht clears things up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts