Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have a 2014 FJ TTUE, and upon purchase had the dealer install the genuine Toyota tow hitch kit with 4-pin wiring harness kit. I'm considering purchase of an Xventure XV-2 off-road trailer but am wondering whether the stock Trail Teams suspension is up to the task or not:

The FJ is rated for towing 4,700 lbs if I remember correctly, while the maximum weight of the XV-2 trailer (loaded up to max capacity) is 3,500 lbs. I doubt that I'll ever have it loaded to 3,500 lbs but it's a good conservative number for planning purposes. Though the FJ is technically rated for towing this weight, how bad will it be on the stock Trail Teams suspension? I'm a little concerned about excessive sag, etc.

Additionally, I'll be installing a 7-pin RV hookup and brake controller since the trailer does have electric drum brakes.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
478 Posts
You will be fine with that set up. Worst scenario is that you are at 80% of tow capacity, which is the general rule of thumb not to exceed that number. Some airbags in the rear springs would help alot.

Reactions: SWITAWI

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not an issue as the tongue weight will most likely be around 500#. If you're really concerned though stop by a truckstop with a weigh scale and weigh the combination before you head out. That's the best way to know exactly where you stand.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I doubt you'll ever come close to 3500 lbs in the XV2......you'd have to be hauling rocks or something. I tow a 19ft travel trailer, with queen bed, full fridge, tons of gear, etc and it weighs maybe 3100 lbs, with a tongue weight of ~ 400 lbs. It tows just fine with my stock 08 TT suspension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts