Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boat and trailer, total weight of around 4000lbs.

Does anyone know if the tow rating for the FJ (5000 lbs?) differs for the auto or manual trany?

Thanks for the feedback. This is the best site I've come across to get info on the FJ.

Great job.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Should be identical. It's just going to depend on what you are more comfortable with. Personally I like to tow with a stick, I feel I have more control. That's just me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Percy,

I agree. My 99' Trooper is a stick and I will probably go with a manual in the FJ.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Really, it kinda depends on what you are towing. I towed a 8000lb boat out of China Lake in Maine with a 4 cylinder S-10. I did it with a manual. The auto of the SAME truck couldn't get it out of the water.

That's my take on towing with a stick. I towed giant artillery pieces with a manual 5-ton in the corps. I towed the same thing with the automatic 5-tons and the manuals seemed to handle the task a bit better. Granted - it's probably all in my head - I want a manual, even for towing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I also can't deal with auto. My reasons include the ability to control powerslides more easily with manual, and the whole four wheelin experience is more fun with a stick IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts