Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any FJ'er towing a Fleetwood E-2? I'm planning a purchase next week and wondering if anyone can chime in on how it tows this trailer. Thanks in advance.
BendFJ

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a Jaco Baja that I tow with the FJ, Havn't had any problems towing. I have a 6 speed and find that while towing I very rarely get into the 6th gear, Also notice the gas mileage go down, as you can literaly watch the needle go down while driving! but wouldnt trade it in for the world, WE LOVE IT!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I had a trailer that was roughly the same weight as an E-3. It towed fine...make sure your trailer brakes are tuned well and working and keep it in 5th for the MT and 4 for the AT. I never experienced any issues at all. The FJ tows pretty well. Another side effect of towing something with a heavy tongue weight is the lights blinding oncoming drivers. I have stock suspension and the rear sagged a good bit. Have fun! :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have an E-2 and tow it with the FJ at least every other weekend. It tows nice. the extra weight on the front with the toy hauler makes it more stable to tow. Kind of like a heavy boat through water.

I went to George Washington National forest last week with 35" tires, 3" lift and a roof top tent and still averaged 14.5 MPG.

Good luck with it.

-Ben

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Love the photos too. Trailer brake hookup a must? Anyone feel the need for a trans cooler?
BendFJ

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Trailer brakes are a must. I towed our trailer without...it worked but it was not fun. It was literally so stressful (because you know you have no hope of stopping in any respectable distance should you have to) that I didn't like towing it. Get the brake controller and have it hooked up...you will be much happier, not to mention much safer.

I didn't see any reason to have a tranny cooler but I took it easy on my rig. I drove it like a truck with a huge trailer on the back. Easy on the throttle, drive in 4 only and don't push it in the hills. It's not a race! :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
the BRAKE controller is great..
may not think you need one. but in a panic stop.. the trailer may beat you around a curve..LOL

these things tow a pop up like they are not even there..
i did get 19.5 going to kentucky to pick my popup up.. and 14.3 on the way home..

so..
the drag did cause mpg pains.
and the brakes worked great.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 17' Fleetwood Cheyeene pop-up (Fleetwood | Camping Trailers | Camping Pop Up Trailer | Folding Trailers) the GVW is 3,000lbs. We took it from SoCal to Sedona and it towed great.

The reason I bought it was I got a great deal. But I was a little worried that it was too big. If I had to do it over and money wasn't an object I might go a different route getting a slightly smaller trailer or possibly a offroad trailer. But I'm happy with the way it worked out.

This is the third pop-up I've had. We had two up until I was in college now I'm taking my kids out in my own trailer and highly recommend it. The best advice I can give is go take a look at different trailers. Go to RV shows. Some dealers might even let you try towing it around the block.

Most of all be safe use the electric brake. In my opinion it's a safety issue more than anything else. Also the company I bought it from tried selling me a $200 dollar stabilizer for the trailer. My suggestion is to try towing without it before spending the money.

Also check the vehicle codes, you're limited to the slow lanes while towing.

PM me if you'd like more info.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 17' Fleetwood Cheyeene pop-up (Fleetwood | Camping Trailers | Camping Pop Up Trailer | Folding Trailers) the GVW is 3,000lbs. We took it from SoCal to Sedona and it towed great.

The reason I bought it was I got a great deal. But I was a little worried that it was too big. If I had to do it over and money wasn't an object I might go a different route getting a slightly smaller trailer or possibly a offroad trailer. But I'm happy with the way it worked out.

This is the third pop-up I've had. We had two up until I was in college now I'm taking my kids out in my own trailer and highly recommend it. The best advice I can give is go take a look at different trailers. Go to RV shows. Some dealers might even let you try towing it around the block.

Most of all be safe use the electric brake. In my opinion it's a safety issue more than anything else. Also the company I bought it from tried selling me a $200 dollar stabilizer for the trailer. My suggestion is to try towing without it before spending the money.

Also check the vehicle codes, you're limited to the slow lanes while towing.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Cruiser4,
Too late to try anything else. I had my mind set on a Fleetwood offroad trailer, specifically the E-2. I drove over Mt. Hood from Central Oregon to pick one up at Apachecamping (.com) As I was sitting in the slide out dinette speaking to my wife... she said "we would be much happier with the E-3, it looks so much larger" Ten minutes later and they were prepping the E-3 and putting the E-2 away that I was supposed to take. I got the roof racks (for my 14ft boat) screen room, and a few other necessities and drove back over the pass. I also had the prodigy or something to that nature, electronic brake control. It towed really well but we'll see when I load it down with water, equipment and the family. It looks sweet.

I mentioned I would have photos up later tonight, however I proceded to erase them while I was trying to download. I'll take some more tomorrow when I put the trailer down. I popped it up today to run the furnace smell, test all the appliances. lit all the pilots, tested the outdoor grill, flushed all the water lines and ran three full tanks of water through the freshwater holding tank. And no... I didn't test the toilet but the shower works great.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the BRAKE controller is great..
may not think you need one. but in a panic stop.. the trailer may beat you around a curve..LOL

these things tow a pop up like they are not even there..
i did get 19.5 going to kentucky to pick my popup up.. and 14.3 on the way home..

so..
the drag did cause mpg pains.
and the brakes worked great.

Nice trailer. Great photos. Have you found the A/C beneficial/ I chose not to have the A/C installed to save several hundred bucks so I could upgrade the the Evolution 3.
BendFJ

·
Registered
357 Posts
In my case the AC was a must (18 month old child). You can always add it later.

-Ben

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AC was a priority until we upgraded to an E-3. I put it up yesterday in 90 degree weather and realized it should be a priority now. I'll have to get the more expensive low profile unit because I plan on putting my 14ft. aluminum boat up on top as well.
BendFJ

In my case the AC was a must (18 month old child). You can always add it later.

-Ben

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I have an E-2 and tow it with the FJ at least every other weekend. It tows nice. the extra weight on the front with the toy hauler makes it more stable to tow. Kind of like a heavy boat through water.

I went to George Washington National forest last week with 35" tires, 3" lift and a roof top tent and still averaged 14.5 MPG.

Good luck with it.

-Ben

Really sweet set-up Ben - when are we going to see you again? - Oh yeah - in a couple of weeks! - :clap:

-

-

·
Registered
599 Posts
A/C was not an option, heat was a must for our E1!
It tows alright, although the FJ has the power, you can hear the gas slurping in the tank.
I don't know how good a shower/toilet would be in a small tent trailer, especially after a good garlic laden meal of beans etc. and a case of beer... add the heat and you got an issue!
Table is rather small in the E1, I gotta sit on the side and eat. Oh well. Other than that, everything fits well into it and looks deadly behind the FJ. I got a titanium FJ with the silver E1.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts