Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that its possible with out add- ons, IE driveshaft decoupled, and some guys say tow it like it is.
Whats the real facts?
Seems the 6 spd std can be towed , but what about the automatic?
Thanks,
Straycat

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It is interesting, reading through those many threads, how much variation there is: folks saying they tow with TC in N, or in 2H, folks saying they tow with AT in N, or in P, MT in 4th gear, or in N. They all can't be right, because several of those combinations should cause trouble, according to some of the other information folks posted about how the TC gets locked, and how the driveline get lubricated.

Most likely, there is a best way, based on the design of the TC and AT (and MT), and then there are the other folks who are doing it wrong, and stressing their driveline but who haven't yet had anything go wrong to give them feedback about it.

Either that, or the driveline components have enough margin in their design so the "wrong" ones might not have a failure.

It is frustrating, reading through all of the threads, that because the people kept posting different answers it tended to seem more like opinion, and so very few actually did research to publish clear facts, and the ones who did get their voice kind of muddied by all of the rest.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I have a link still open in the for sale section for a Remco driveshaft disconnect system.
Shaft, disconnect and cable. It allows you to connect and disconnect with a pull located under the driver seat, and is intended for this kind of towing.
Came off a 07 FJ 4x4 with automatic.

Just caught this post in the recent list and thought i'd mention and do some cross-sellin .

Dog

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Well, I have been flat towing my 6MT since summer of 2012, no drivetrain modifications.

I have towed from Chicago to Yellowstone and back. To Disney world and back.
And at least 5 trips per year with at least 200mi each way, on average 450mi per trip.

So total flat tow miles of at least 16k miles.

Recently swapped trans and TC oil, first time in at least 4yrs and both were amber clear. No shavings.

Up to you what you with the information I just provided.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have purchased a 2008 TC Automatic and have researched the issues of towing it behind our motor-home. We have previously towed another Toyota vehicle and used a Demco SS Dolly successfully. My intention temporarily is to put the FJ on the dolly, put the FJ transfer case in neutral, crank the engine and place the transmission in 4th gear. I'm hoping this will allow all engine and transmission pumps to operate as well as have splash lube working in transfer case. Anyone have any comments?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Having towed many a 4x4, including my old FJ60, Jeep TJ and the current FJC, it boils down to distance.

If you are going to roll for 2-3k miles, then just put it in neutral and tow it.

If you are going farther than that, disconnect the driveshaft. The front end is designed to run full time disengaged from the TC - normal 2WD operation with the CVs turning. The rear is also designed to run full time connected and under load, so a little towing should not hurt a thing. The disconnecting of the driveshaft is more about saving the tail end of the TC and less drag when towed. Disconect the driveshaft at the rear by the diff, not by the TC.

FJ60 got towed from Calgary AL to Texas just fine without anything except rear driveshaft disconnect.

Never towed my FJC very far - I use it to tow my backhoe, tractor, ATVs, etc. on a 16' double axle trailer because it is easier to handle in traffic than using my F250 7.3L TD. The F-250 we use on the farm and local roads where turning radius is not a problem.

You are over-thinking this, I think...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts