Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I don't really know much about hitches. So, I can't say about that one in particular, but it's the same class as the stock one that came on my FJC.

Other than finding out about the quality of the one you're looking at, you just need to know how much weight you're going to pull with it.

From Wikipedia...

Class I —up to 2,000 pounds (910 kg) — light loads
Class II —up to 3,500 pounds (1,600 kg) — light loads
Class III —up to 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) — larger loads (campers, boats, etc.)
Class IV —up to 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) — larger loads (campers, boats, etc.)

Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
35 Posts
i only paid about 20 bucks more for the OEM hitch after shipping and everything... you may want to consider the OEM hitch...

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Questions:
1. Do you ever, or plan to, take your FJ off road on the trails?
2. Do you have, or plan to add, an aftermarket bumper?

If either of these are YES, you should probably go with OEM. The OEM hitch is the only one that maintains ground clearance for offroading. Many non-OEM hitches mount to the same holes that aftermarket bumpers will mount to, so you'll have to pick one.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I found a hitch that has better clearance than the OEM and works with most aftermarket bumpers. (And I think it's cheaper than the OEM hitch) and it's Class III just like the OEM

This is the only pic I have of it right now.

It's a two piece system. There is a bracket that bolts on inside under your rear bumper, the receiver slides in and out (removable for better departure, and I plan to fashion a skid that slides in to replace it)

Made in Salt Lake City, bought at Expedition One. I'll try to get some photos or video of how it works.\

Edit: it also works with the OEM rear bumper (that's what I have. I reread my post and it sounded like you needed aftermarket bumpers to use it)

·
Registered
260 Posts
i only paid about 20 bucks more for the OEM hitch after shipping and everything... you may want to consider the OEM hitch...

$20 for OEM hitch?? Nice. Point me to the same direction. Iam looking for the OEM one. Thanx!:)

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Steven,
I'm getting a new rear bumper and hitch soon. When I do so, you can have my OEM hitch. Might have to wait a couple of weeks, though.
Lemme know if you want it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found a hitch that has better clearance than the OEM and works with most aftermarket bumpers. (And I think it's cheaper than the OEM hitch) and it's Class III just like the OEM

This is the only pic I have of it right now.

It's a two piece system. There is a bracket that bolts on inside under your rear bumper, the receiver slides in and out (removable for better departure, and I plan to fashion a skid that slides in to replace it)

Made in Salt Lake City, bought at Expedition One. I'll try to get some photos or video of how it works.\

Edit: it also works with the OEM rear bumper (that's what I have. I reread my post and it sounded like you needed aftermarket bumpers to use it)
This looks promising. Is there a link to find this online? I checked the Expedition One website and didn't see this.

How much did you pay for it?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Steven,
I'm getting a new rear bumper and hitch soon. When I do so, you can have my OEM hitch. Might have to wait a couple of weeks, though.
Thanks, Lou, but I already have a hitch....came with the OEM one, and it works just fine (pull plenty of people out of the ditch all winter long, and used it to tow the trencher home for digging for sprinkler lines in the back yard a couple weekends ago).

However, I do eventually want to get a multi-mount winch, and I will need a hitch on the front to do that. If you think there's any chance I (or rather...if my genius, master-craftsman, father-in-law with a welder and all kinds of other goodies) may somehow be able to retro-fit one of those things to work as my front receiver hitch, I would gladly take it off your hands.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steven,
As it appears that Steven doesn't need your OEM hitch, I'd love to take it off your hands!

Been looking for an OEM hitch to put on my new 2011 FJ. Happy to pay shipping if you'd be willing to part with the hitch after you put your new bumper on.

Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts