Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know there are tons of towing threads so I am sorry for the extra thread, but what I need is somewhat specific.

I just bought a 1960 Triumph TR3A and it's sitting in the Upper Peninsula (MI) waiting for me to pick it up. I could borrow a trailer here in St. Louis and drive the 11 hours to the car and that would just cost me gas. I can also drive up there and rent a UHaul trailer and drive it home for only $250.00.

The odd thing is that the (googled) tow weight for the FJ is 4700#. When I originally spec'd out the trailer on the UHaul site, I used 5000#, which was what I thought it was. When I updated the tow cap to 4700 on the UHaul site, it said it wasn't a recommended configuration. So the Trailer Weight is 2200# and the car is 2100#. I would hope that with the 4700# cap, I am safe, but should I be worried about my transmission or anything. Should be a mostly flat drive from the UP to St. Louis...10.5 Hours.

Any guidance wold be greatly appreciated.

DP

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats on the car. My parents have a TR3 59 1/2. Was originally red, but they painted it an original Triumph yellow when they rebuilt it. They are great fun to drive. You feel like you are connected to the road. No advice on the trailer or towing. Sorry. Looking for my own trailer now. Good Luck and Be Safe on the Journey.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
4300 lbs is below the 4700lbs tow limit, so you might be OK.

Note that the biggest concern is not the weight, but the short FJ wheelbase plus the weight (plus the transmission temperature).

When you are that close to the limit, then trailer brakes + a VERY carefully adjusted tongue weight (don't guess, use a proper truck scales to measure loaded trailer, and loaded trailer tongue while you adjust the position of your TR on the trailer until you get it right). Those things are the baseline for safety, but finally, if your trailer starts to sway during your trip and if you do anything other than accelerate to pull it out of the sway, you'll be rolled up into a ball and lose both vehicles.

These are the risks.

You could get lucky, or you could be very experienced with towing and be able to do it just fine. Or, you could get into trouble and then its too late to decide that saving a few hundred bucks for a one time trip was worth it.

A transmission cooler would be a very wise investment, for such a long trip. Also, keep the trans out of top gear to help keep it from hunting too much. Note that will also reduce your mpg, which in an FJ don't forget to figure that cost when comparing to what you'd save in truck rental fee (and the cost of fitting the trans cooler).

In my younger days I used a vehicle with a dual axle trailer with brakes to haul more than its max tow rating, on a couple of road trips, and got away with it, but I did a LOT of research about it beforehand, and took getting the tongue weight right very seriously, paying for time on a truck scale until I got it right, and on STRONG tie downs to prevent the possibility of cargo vehicle load shifting during any possible panic stops (don't forget to multiply your TR's weight by a factor of 2 or 3x, at least, to deal with anything like a panic stop, or accident, to prevent it coming through and hitting the back of your FJ, I used a pair of 5000lb chain tie downs for a 1500lb cargo vehicle, in the rear, and a pair of strap tie downs at the front, and cinched the car down almost all the way to its bumpstops to prevent it from being able to sway and upset the trailer).

Norm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts