Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: towing

I am interested in towing a BP 2 horse trailer with our FJ Cruiser. Has anyone tried this and how was the FJ at towing a 4000lb horse trailer.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Banned
1,667 Posts

25' boat. I tow it 240 miles each way in over 100 degree heat with no issues.. Yes it's heavy, yes I drive with a safe following distance, yes it doesn't exactly stop on a dime and yes it does fine up hills.. Slows to 45mph up step hills.
I'm comfortable towing this boat with my family in the car.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts

25' boat. I tow it 240 miles each way in over 100 degree heat with no issues.. Yes it's heavy, yes I drive with a safe following distance, yes it doesn't exactly stop on a dime and yes it does fine up hills.. Slows to 45mph up step hills.

Nice boat!

·
Registered
477 Posts

A Toyota Highlander goes through our hood on a regular basis towing a small, but double axle horse trailer with one horse in it. The FJ has a higher tow rating than the Highlander, so.... Not being rude, but does the 4,000 lbs.include the cargo(horse)? Going over the FJ's 5,000 rating, you're on your own. I read on various forums of vehicles towing several thousand pounds over their approved ratings, but just hope you don't get in an incident as exceeding the tow rating could go against you big time in litigation.

What's possible and what's prudent are not always the same.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

^^^ Maybe it's just me, but I think your reading a little too much into his question... :simmadown:

·
Registered
477 Posts

^^^ Maybe it's just me, but I think your reading a little too much into his question... :simmadown:
Duly noted.:)

·
Registered
436 Posts

I was advised once, by a dealer that I respected, that the tow ratings for a vehicle are for unlimited towing. A towing situation where you'll be driving continuously for a long time. The towing rating can be scaled a bit for shorter trips. The truck I had was good for 10,000 pound towing. I had a piece of equipment that was considerably heavier (15,000 lbs). He said that I was good to tow that weight for 50 miles or less which fit my situation perfectly. The trailer I was towing did have electric brakes, so when set correctly, the trailer would pretty much stop it's own weight. I towed that trailer and equipment 5 times a week for a few years and never had a problem. Maybe you could contact Toyota and see if they have different ratings for shorter trips or for trailers with electric brakes, or trailers with load leveling equipment.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

I've towed my wifes FJ with my FJ recently to the dealer after her clutch spring broke and jamed the flywheel and pressure plate.... the FJ is what, 5400#, plus trailer weight... was just fine.... not an issue...

I have always seen the rating as a continiued use rate, not a max., but under law, yes, you are restricted to the ratings listed....

My old F150 has seen 1.5 tons of stone in her' bed, and old F250 has been know to run 2.5-3 ton in her.... only, it was once in a while thing for items need around the yard... and I wouldn ot expect it to handle on a daily basis...

Again, I was over the rating and hence, not leagle.... :(

·
Registered
476 Posts

I have an 18'6" Lund Tyee that I was a bit concerned about towing with the FJ. But if you're pulling that boat as well as you claim, I'll be fine.

Nice boat, looks like fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts