Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my recollection is correct, the pathfinder and 4runner has the same size engines which are 4 litre V6. The FJ has the same engine size like the 4runner but is capable of towing something like 5000 lbs alot more than the 4runner. What makes the FJ able to tow more? Is it because of the heavier weight on the driving wheels so that the tires have better traction. My next door neighour is not too impressed with the Pathfinder gas milege and if the FJ could pull more because of the heavier weight, this will really make people want to buy one with a diesel. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
midlifecrisis said:
If my recollection is correct, the pathfinder and 4runner has the same size engines which are 4 litre V6. The FJ has the same engine size like the 4runner but is capable of towing something like 5000 lbs alot more than the 4runner. What makes the FJ able to tow more? Is it because of the heavier weight on the driving wheels so that the tires have better traction. My next door neighour is not too impressed with the Pathfinder gas milege and if the FJ could pull more because of the heavier weight, this will really make people want to buy one with a diesel. Any info is appreciated.

I don't know where you got your numbers but I believe the 4Runner is rated at 7000lbs If anything the fjc would have a lesser capacity with its' shorter wheelbase.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honestly the engine is not the deciding factor of towing weight on vehicles. The engine is the easy part, big radiator and oil pan. I have seen a Mini Cooper tow a 2500lb trailer.

Deciding Factors:
1. Rear end
2. Hitch
3. Transmission

Rear ends get extremely hot. Towing just makes this worse. Many vehicles that have huge towing packages havefan-based rear end coolers.

How the hitch attaches to the vehicle is another biggie. Does it mount to frame rails? Is it an equalizer? Is it a 1"1/4 or 2" reciever...

Transmission also get extremely hot. See above. The tranny and rear end have to transfer and compound the torqe made by the engine.

Plus, always read the fine print. Honestly I doubt any of these SUV's can town 5000-7000lb in real world situations. Usually in the fine print they say something like "2500lb max load / 250 tongue weight un-equalized".

·
Registered
181 Posts
DocAltie said:
Plus, always read the fine print. Honestly I doubt any of these SUV's can town 5000-7000lb in real world situations. Usually in the fine print they say something like "2500lb max load / 250 tongue weight un-equalized".
I believe that they can and have seen examples of V8 4Runners towing in that range in the real world.

And the engine size is definitely a major factor, as reflected in the difference in capacities between the V8 and the V6 4Runners. And again wheelbase has an effect also.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've done maybe more than an average amount of towing in a variety of vehicles and conditions. I'm still no expert but all I have to say is - be conservative and do it right! I hope I never have to tow 5000lbs in my FJC, even though it's rated for it. I hope I don't ever have to tow something more than it weighs (~3800lbs). Sure with a good trailer and correct loading, you can tow at max capacity, but it's no fun. Anybody have Moses Ludel's Toyota Truck and Landcruiser Owners Bible? He's got a photo in there of him towing a huge travel trailer with his FJ-40. It can be done but that's just nuts. And it's amazing what people try to tow.
Here's my advice: by your FJC for four wheeling fun, and buy Percy's truck for towing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts