Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Here in about 6-8 months I'm going to be moving from Florida to Utah pulling a trailer with my 08 FJ. I am buying a trailer but need some opinions on what you think I can safely tow. Im looking at two size of trailers a 8.5 x 16ft or a 8.5 x 20ft trailer. The trailer weighs around 3,000lbs if I were to get the 20ft. I will have a trailer break installed and possibly looking into a sway control with weight distribution. Do you think the FJ could safely tow the 20ft? It won't be over 5,000lbs loaded. The FJ does have a small lift and slightly larger tires than stock. Let me know what you think, thanks!

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,078 Posts
Opinions will vary on what constitutes safe towing. As described you will be towing at the edge of the envelope.
Note that under new towing standards, Toyota revised the FJs limits downward to 4700#.
Be aware that if the drive geometry (lift) has been changed the towing limits may be altered - I can't speak to if or to what extent, just advising to be cautious and conservative.
Also if you intend to used a WD hitch you should not use the OEM receiver, but a 3rd party one that mounts to the frame rails instead of the rear cross member. If you stay with the OEM receiver, a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch will provide very good sway control (but no weight distribution). Remember to include the hitch's weight in your calculations.

I would look at the smaller trailer as I am conservative with my calculations, however, you are not me and should make the choices you feel comfortable with.
Have a good tow and move!

Reactions: Defa12
1 - 2 of 2 Posts