Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For those that tow a camper, around the 4,000# mark, have you upgraded your rings springs to reduce sag? If so, what did you install and how did it change the ride without towing? Does it make the FJ more 'stiffer' when not towing and do you notice the bumps more?

Any suggestions for those of us who tow, but would like less sag 'in the rear' would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
CanadaFJ - We just bought a 18' Hybrid. The dry tongue weight was rate at 415lbs - now its pushing 450lbs. The trailer itself has a maximum rating of 3500lbs. I have a Rough Country 3" lift and thought about heavier OME springs, but have since changed my mind. Upgrading your springs or installing an air suspension is not the answer. Heavier springs will just give you a harsh ride when not towing.

The correct thing to do is get a weight distributing hitch. This will spread the downward pressure of your hitch to the front wheels of the Tow Vehicle and the trailers axle(s). They are adjustable so you control the amount of sag based off of the tongue weight.

Even better, is a weigh distributing hitch with sway control. I haven't made a purchase yet, but will be soon. I will probably go with the Equalizer brand 600/6000 setup.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CanadaFJ - We just bought a 18' Hybrid. The dry tongue weight was rate at 415lbs - now its pushing 450lbs. The trailer itself has a maximum rating of 3500lbs. I have a Rough Country 3" lift and thought about heavier OME springs, but have since changed my mind. Upgrading your springs or installing an air suspension is not the answer. Heavier springs will just give you a harsh ride when not towing.

The correct thing to do is get a weight distributing hitch. This will spread the downward pressure of your hitch to the front wheels of the Tow Vehicle and the trailers axle(s). They are adjustable so you control the amount of sag based off of the tongue weight.

Even better, is a weigh distributing hitch with sway control. I haven't made a purchase yet, but will be soon. I will probably go with the Equalizer brand 600/6000 setup.
I do have the weight distribution hitch with the sway bars as well, but I still don't like how the FJ sits. Towing at night, I had semi's flashing their lights at me as my headlights were angled upwards. I've decided to give the air suspension a try. Based on my readings and reviews from the net, this seems like a viable solution. I didn't really want to go to heavier springs as I didn't want to change the ride of the FJ when not towing. The weight distribution hitch does help, but not just quite enough.

I'm currently looking at the various on-board air systems now and will hopefully have something in play shortly. Just still not clear on a few things, like how to route the air hoses from inside the FJ to the outside.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I do have the weight distribution hitch with the sway bars as well, but I still don't like how the FJ sits. Towing at night, I had semi's flashing their lights at me as my headlights were angled upwards. I've decided to give the air suspension a try. Based on my readings and reviews from the net, this seems like a viable solution. I didn't really want to go to heavier springs as I didn't want to change the ride of the FJ when not towing. The weight distribution hitch does help, but not just quite enough.

I'm currently looking at the various on-board air systems now and will hopefully have something in play shortly. Just still not clear on a few things, like how to route the air hoses from inside the FJ to the outside.

Have you read this http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...pension-mod-air-springs.html?highlight=towing

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes and I rather enjoyed the write up! I've decided to do this myself but go with an on board air solution as well. I've ordered the Viair system and the rear bags as well. Will probably mount the compressor in the engine bay, and pipe all the lines to the back and be able to control the pressure in the air bags from the front seat. The only thing I can't find out, is how do you 'deflate' the system and can that also be done from the front seat?

The Viair system comes with a 2.5 gallon tank as well so the ideas keep coming. This could get expensive.....lol :) The system should arrive in the next week or so, so that should give me time to continue studying other members build ups and gather more ideas.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Interesting that you can't level the FJ with a WDH. Good luck with the air system. Make sure you report back how it goes.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting that you can't level the FJ with a WDH. Good luck with the air system. Make sure you report back how it goes.
I think it might be as simple as 'lowering' the ball height to be honest, but will still go with the air suspension as I need to see if I can smooth out the ride somewhat. But yes, when it's all installed, I will report back, and hopefully with lots of pics as well! :)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yes and I rather enjoyed the write up! I've decided to do this myself but go with an on board air solution as well. I've ordered the Viair system and the rear bags as well. Will probably mount the compressor in the engine bay, and pipe all the lines to the back and be able to control the pressure in the air bags from the front seat. The only thing I can't find out, is how do you 'deflate' the system and can that also be done from the front seat?.
There should be a release valve right on the gauge panel that comes with the kit. At least thats how the AIr Lift system is set up

The Viair system comes with a 2.5 gallon tank as well so the ideas keep coming. This could get expensive.....lol :) The system should arrive in the next week or so, so that should give me time to continue studying other members build ups and gather more ideas .
I'm curious as to why you choose the Viair system. seems like its overkill. You could have done the AirLift system with airbags for half the cost of the Viair system. And you still need to get the airbags.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5150 - My choices were kind of limited here in Calgary. I have narrowed it down to either the Firestone system or the Viair. After some research, the Firestone system was prone to issues and the Viair system is rated for the temperature extremes we are so familiar with here in Canada. It does seem like a bit of overkill, but my gut told me the Viair was the better over all of the systems available to me. I did order the airbags as well and all should arrive next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts