Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been previously mentioned that the AT will overheat going through any mountain pass when pulling a trailer in 60+ degree weather. I'm going to be traveling across the continental divide on I-70 in roughly 2 weeks, and after that will be majorly traveling over flat land-- Kansas, Oklahoma, south to Dallas and then east to Shreveport and eventually down onto NOLA. Is there any chance I could get through Vail etc. without putting a tranny cooler in? I'll be pulling a trailer that's roughly 4,000 lbs.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Might not be what you want/need to do, but you could reroute south and pickup I40 east.. Ron

I know it's been previously mentioned that the AT will overheat going through any mountain pass when pulling a trailer in 60+ degree weather. I'm going to be traveling across the continental divide on I-70 in roughly 2 weeks, and after that will be majorly traveling over flat land-- Kansas, Oklahoma, south to Dallas and then east to Shreveport and eventually down onto NOLA. Is there any chance I could get through Vail etc. without putting a tranny cooler in? I'll be pulling a trailer that's roughly 4,000 lbs.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Might not be what you want/need to do, but you could reroute south and pickup I40 east.. Ron
I think I'd still have to take highway 550 through Red Mountain Pass, which would be no fun :( I'll probably just get the tranny cooler, not so much an issue of cash, as it is time.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I think I'd still have to take highway 550 through 550, which would be no fun :( I'll probably just get the tranny cooler, not so much an issue of cash, as it is time.
When ya getting back? We are having a meet and greet sunday, August 3rd in hammond.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I've pulled a around the same the same weight in 95 degree weather in inclines without any problems. But these were short hills and nothing to long. Steep, but not very long. On flat lands you shouldbe fine. One thing i can tell you from experiance is if you do any 4 wheeling, make sure you radiator is clean of mud and debree. I've overheated both pulling trailers, and just driving to work cause my radiator was clogged with dried up mud.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Aren't transmission coolers usually less then $100? It's cheap insurance if you tow often. May even be cheaper to install that instead of buying more gas to get around?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in Shreveport and go to school in Colorado springs. I've commuted back and forth 3-4 times a year for the past 4 years in a 1999 Land Cruiser (which i just traded in for a 2008 FJC TT SE!). If you're worried about the transmission I'd stay off I 70, avoid Raton Pass on I25 and don't go south to I40 (it takes way too long). I had to take that route in the Christmas blizzard in 2006. Instead divert in Pueblo to Lamar on Highway 50 to la junta and on to Lamar then take 287 south through Oklahoma/Texas. In Texas highway 287 changes to highway 87 until Amarillo.Here's a map quest of it i made for you I'm not 100% on getting from Grand Junction to Pueblo so you figure that out but here's my best guess. I usually drive Colorado Springs to Shreveport in 15 hours straight through (weather permitting) but i wouldn't advise anyone else to do it unless you're a road warrior:rocker: or better yet professional truck driver. Good Luck!:clap:
The link is titled incorrectly, it starts in Grand Junction and ends in New Orleans.
Driving Directions from Colorado Springs, CO to Shreveport, LA

·
Registered
58 Posts
On a side note, I am installing a TRD Superchager on my FJ. I'm wondering if I should invest in a transmission cooler because of the added stress of the supercharger. I'm going to try to be as light footed as i can because of gas prices so normally i won't be putting much stress on it but i know there will be times when its pedal to the metal 304 hp/336 torque screaming through the transmission and i don't want to damage it if a $100 transmission cooler will prevent that.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
My bottom line is that heat is your transmissions worst enemy! The tranny cooler is a valuable defense against heat.

It will work for you when towing and also when off-roading in hot climates or when under difficult loads like climbing obstacles.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will probably go ahead and do it. I've driven NOLA to GJ about 15 times, never with a trailer though, I usually take:
I-70 East to I-35 S (Or whatever it's called when it runs into 70 in Salena, Kansas
I-35S to loop I-635 East in Dallas
I-635 to I-20 to Shreveport
I-20 to I-49
I-49 to I-10
I-10 to NOLA

And nope, I won't be leaving until the week of Aug 10. I'll try my best to meet of with you all once I'm there!

Thanks for all the input, btw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts