Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm finally gonna take the plunge with the good graces of my wife and get the lift and tires I have been wanting since I bought my FJ. My question is, I'm putting a Toytec 3" lift on my stock FJ, will the Toyo MT 295/70/17 on stock wheels fit without rubbing??? I have read numerous threads and can't get a anwser for sure. Does anyone have this setup themselves?? Before I spend the money I would like to know.
Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ok, I'm finally gonna take the plunge with the good graces of my wife and get the lift and tires I have been wanting since I bought my FJ. My question is, I'm putting a Toytec 3" lift on my stock FJ, will the Toyo MT 295/70/17 on stock wheels fit without rubbing??? I have read numerous threads and can't get a anwser for sure. Does anyone have this setup themselves?? Before I spend the money I would like to know.
Thanks,
Eric
I have that lift, and those tires. But, I also had the body mount chop done before I got those, so I'm not sure about the rubbing. The other thing that will affect it is the offset of your wheels, stock or aftermarket. You may not know about the rubbing until you get them. Hopefully your tire shop is nice and will mount em up and put em on so you can find out! That probably didn't help too much, but that's what I know, sorry.

K

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

ToyTec 3" OME Medium front, Medium rear lift kit....on 295x70x17 Nitto Terra Grapplers...absolutely no rubbing turning, wheeling, going over rocks or stumps.....No body chop required with my setup.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have these tires, but on Mickey Thompson Classic Locks. I needed to get body mount chop done. Wheels had a different offset than stock alloys.

In my research I found members with a lift and stock alloys were fine and did not rub. I think FJSteed has stockers and the toyo mts

I would try and get a confirm from at least 3 members before buying, especially if you don't want to do the chop.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I know for a fact that they will rub on the upper control arms on stock wheels. I work for a tire shop and have tried several kinds of tires. You can fit them for 200 dollars more without issue with spidertrax wheel spacers. Or you can spend more and get a wheel with the correct offset. Last thing to consider is the uca rubbing. If you kept the stock wheels and did not use spacers the tire will just barely hit the uca when driving while the suspension cycles up and down. There is so much rubber in the side lugs that it will wear just a bit on them and would eventually be ok. I would recommend the spider trax though. You can do a search for my name and I did the toyos in a 35 on stock wheels with a body mount chop if you want a bigger setup. PM me if you have more questions.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
The 295 70 17 Nitto Terra Grapplers will not rub with Medium front and Medium rear OME lift from ToyTec with stock 17" alloy wheels....as I have them and have wheeled them with no touching of anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see them rubbing the UCA's. We measured yesterday and have a 30 mm gap b/w the widest part of the tire and the UCA. Will only be going out 15mm on each side. I could be wrong but that's what the measuring tape said.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I need to install tires tomorrow as mine are seperating, I won't have my 3" OME lift until next week.I have 883 coils up front, any idea how bad the 295's will rub on my factory alloy's and 883's up front? Any chance it will be drivable without alot of rubbing on pavement?

thanks

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
With regards to the original question, I have the Toyo M/Ts in that size with a 3" lift and have experienced no rubbing. I suspect that under full articulation and at the right steering angle, it may rub but I haven't yet had it happen. I don't know if you're keeping the stock rims - that obviously could change things. Here's a grainy pic;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok that settles it. Ordered the lift today. Here goes nothing. Hope it works. LOL!!!! Ah hell, if it rubs I can hack!!!! I really don't expect it to rub that much or at all. And yes to the post above, I am keeping the stock wheels. Plan to have them powder coated black in a couple months.

·
Registered
243 Posts
With my set up, I just lightly touch the mud flap(@ the plastic covering the body mount extension), on some articulated turns.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
to other post about stock springs....mine rubbed 295s only when i turned and went over hump entering driveway and if I offroaded....drove like that for a week before I was able to get lift on and it bugged the hell out of me. Sooooo nice now with lift :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I decided to go with the 285/70/17 nitto grapplers on factory alloys and so far no rubbing with with the 883 springs, I will still be adding the OME lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just talked with one of the installers at Toytec who has put on several of these lift and tire combos and has had no trouble with any of them. I hope he's right. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts