Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know...another tire size question....

lift, probably not....but i do plan on putting the icon c/o's up front to level once i install winch and bumper....

i have a 2010 TT with the 16" trd wheels and stock bfgs....i hate the bfg's and want to get some more toyos, as i have had a couple sets in the past...

im not opposed to doing the 'chop', if needed....

(using search) i read people talking about this tire works and that tire works but this one may not and so on....depending on how aggressive it is.......

i would like to maybe go with a 275/70-16 or maybe a 285/75-16 toyo open country MT......no lift for now and as stated, only a c/o upfront to level out the rake a bit.....

my main concern is whether it will be too wide and interfere with the stock shock/coil area.....it 'feels' a little tight back there already, and i would like ot avoid using spacers if at all possible.....

does anyone have any input or have this tire in this size....

i read through search and have found nothing specifically on this model and what i am looking for.....

any help is appreciated.....:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, maybe i can rephrase and make my question a little more appealing to answer......im very new to the FJ.......i have been a long time jeep owner and am now on the FJ wagon.....

i am looking to upgrade my tire size.....

i have read in many places on here through search that 285/75-16 is the largest that would be recommended [stock suspension] with some rubbing likely....

i would love to get the toyo mt's, as they have been my favorite tire as of late....i can get a good deal on them right now, as tires are looking to get a $ increase in 2011....

can anyone weigh in on the 285/75-16's or perhaps a size down in this tire? or one similar say a mtr kevlar?

i am adding a winch bumper and winch and most likely icon c/o's up front for leveling purposes only.....i want to keep my ride height as low as possible.....

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
my main concern is whether it will be too wide and interfere with the stock shock/coil area.....it 'feels' a little tight back there already, and i would like ot avoid using spacers if at all possible.....
I don't think the width will be your problem, but they're tall enough that are likely to rub the rear wheel wells when flexed. My 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country MT's rub in mine when stuffed, and I've got a 3" lift.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats kind of what i was looking for.....i was thinking i might buy the OME 3" if i had to, but i was really wanting NOT to lift....as i have been down that road many times and just dont want to revisit all the BS that comes with lifting and what not.....

just want to try and stab the best looking largest tire i can with minimal effects.......so, i may choose the smaller 275/70-16 and just play it 'safe'.......

im coming from owning a jeep rock crawler and a buggy, so i am not trying to get into the same realm as i have been recreationally for a while.....just want a good capable vehicle that i can take on trips and or light wheeling......i believe i have the best of both worlds now, and just want a little more 'aggressiveness' out of it.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I'm a new FJ owner (Green 2010) and new to this site. BTW, pretty cool site!

under_psi, just curious what size did you go with for your Toyo MT's? I'm thinking going down the same path.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am vert interested in this tire in particular as well....even the size. 1911 - can you help to explain what type of rubbing you are talking about? Does that mean you are pushing the rear wheel as high as it can go and it rubs? What about regular daily driving? Please, let us know. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i know...another tire size question....

lift, probably not....but i do plan on putting the icon c/o's up front to level once i install winch and bumper....

i have a 2010 TT with the 16" trd wheels and stock bfgs....i hate the bfg's and want to get some more toyos, as i have had a couple sets in the past...

im not opposed to doing the 'chop', if needed....

(using search) i read people talking about this tire works and that tire works but this one may not and so on....depending on how aggressive it is.......

i would like to maybe go with a 275/70-16 or maybe a 285/75-16 toyo open country MT......no lift for now and as stated, only a c/o upfront to level out the rake a bit.....

does anyone have any input or have this tire in this size....

i read through search and have found nothing specifically on this model and what i am looking for.....

any help is appreciated.....:bigthumb:
I run Toyo 285 75 R16 Open Country MT on my FJ with a 3" lift. I have been wheeling with no rubbing issues with the height or width.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
That would be great! Thank you! That will give me the best perspective.
Like I said, my truck and wheel wells are dirty - I took several photos of the driver's side rear wheel well and this one shows it the best:

That gouge in the middle of the picture is where the 34" toyo has dug into the wheel well and carved a shallow furrow out of the plastic. It only rubs there under extreme compression, something like this:

It never rubs any time / anywhere on pavement in daily driving.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for the photo! I see what can happen now. Hopefully, I wouldn't encounter that, but you never know. It seems that no matter how much I tell myself that I won't climb over anything like that....the temptation is just too great. You start with a little rock, than a bigger rock, then an even larger rock....and so on. :)

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Thanks for the photo! I see what can happen now. Hopefully, I wouldn't encounter that, but you never know. It seems that no matter how much I tell myself that I won't climb over anything like that....the temptation is just too great. You start with a little rock, than a bigger rock, then an even larger rock....and so on. :)
That particular photo was from when I ran Lower Helldorado in Area BFE south of Moab in 2008. That is one of the most challenging trails I have ever run in my FJC, the only point being that it is relatively rare to stuff the tires that far (with my suspension anyway), and in 120,000 miles those small gouges in the inner fender wells are the only record of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts