Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have it narrowed down ( for today) to three tires that are pretty common ATs. Every tire dealer I go into say the BFGs are a great tire but for me putting 30K miles a year on the truck they just won't last. So they are out.
I have checked UTQ codes and although it's not an exact science the General Grabbers come out on top at over 600. Toyos are around 500 and the Daytons are 460 I think....

I am not a huge off roader although I do find myself doing it more and more with a smile on my face again. I also need something good in snow and most important is tread life...

So does anyone have experience with these tires and which way do you think I should go?

265/70/17
Dayton Timberline ATII
Toyo OC AT
General Grabber

All info greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Every tire dealer I go into say the BFGs are a great tire but for me putting 30K miles a year on the truck they just won't last. So they are out.
Don't know anything about the tires you want to choose from, but I do know a lot about BFG ATs. I've had 4 sets (including the ones w/26k miles on my FJ and at least 5k miles left in them). So, I'm not sure why you think that you can't get 30k miles out of them and, FWIW, if that's the only reason they're not on your list, perhaps you should reconsider.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are certainly my favorite.....But they are expensive up here too. The three I have listed I can do for under $1000.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I cant speak for anything listed but the BFGs, I have 46k on my set and still expect to get 10-15k more out of them. I drive 25-30k per year as well and rotate every 5k with the spare in the rotation. You will get what you pay for and the BFGs are a good tire. Not to mention that the BFGs look great on just about anything!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I ran BFG ATs for many years....have run Nitto Terra Grapplers for past 4 years and love them. Great mileage.....great all terrain tire with strong sidewalls and the performance in average mud is superior to that of the BFG AT in my experience.

Yes they are made by same plant as Toyo but different specs...

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking that for $922 installed and taxes in Toyo OC's seem to be the winner. They say they should give me 50,000miles (80,000km) too.

Thanks for the help guys....The forum rocks as usual

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
BFG

I have 33,000 mile on mine and there done but I have tons of very hard off road miles on them TCao changed his BFG AT and at 30k and he still had a lot of life left on them. Don't take them off the list you can get some miles out of them. If you were nice to the tires you could get 40-50k no problem.

If not BFG I would probably go Nitto.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Nitto dealers up here in Eastern Canada. I did find Pro Comps but their AT was $285 a tire which is way out of my budget this year. Cepeks were even less than that at $215 but they are pretty soft and not much of a snow tire by the looks of it

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
good price...I got my Nittos for about 875 for 5 tires...mounted and balanced first set. This last time I traded in my stock bridgestones...and had to pay the guy $500 for 5 tires including mounting and balancing. :D :D :D :D

you will love the Toyo tires though...good shoes.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am hoping so. I will order them this weekend when I go to the shop. That is an awesome price for 5 tires.....Now and then I wished I lived in the states....But now and then I feel pretty lucky to be right where I am

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Toyo owns Nitto and the tread patterns for the Open Country A/T and Terra Grappler
side by side are almost the same.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know...I will have to look a little more and see if I can find a Nitto dealer up here. As of today I have not seen one so I am definitely leaning toward the Toyo's.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
also the Nitto 295s are cheaper than the 285s......enough to make it worthwhile if buying 5 tires....was almost $20 cheaper per tire when I got mine.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I will skip the 295 route since I only have a 2in level lift and put on enough miles in a year that I am quite conscious of my mpg too. So far its looking like I will stick with the 265's.... Firestone Destinations are the only 275's I have seen .....285 is still an option though since I can clear them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts