Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share their experiences with Toyota aligning modified suspensions?

The first time I had 4 Wheel Parts do it and the results were fine.

I'm getting rid of the Rough Country spacer kit up front (which actually served me well and anyone that went with me could probably vouch for that) and replacing it with Total Chaos UCAs and DR coilovers.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts

I'm getting rid of the Rough Country spacer kit up front (which actually served me well and anyone that went with me could probably vouch for that) and replacing it with Total Chaos UCAs and DR coilovers.

Thanks in advance.
A good alignment tech is a good alignment tech - whether he works for the dealer or an independent outfit. Alignment theory is the same, whether or not the vehicle is lifted, and the FJC's alignment is relatively straight forward. Every dealer / tech is different - go talk to the tech at the dealership and see if you are comfortable with having him work on your vehicle.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Can you tell my why you're getting rid of the RC spacer?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tai - In response to your question... No good reason. Got the lift kit for free from a contest on this forum.

Always planned on upgrading the suspension in general. It's just part of the process. I will most likely gather all the parts together and then change it all at once. TC UCAs, TC lower control arm skids, ICON front coilovers, Fox 2.0 or 2.5 for the rears, control arm links, lower control arm links w/ skids, and rear shock skids.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It's always a good sign if the alignment tech (a good one as Larry mentioned) has his 4WD rig parked at the shop. ARB provided alignment specs to go with the OME, perhaps DR/ICON can do the same, but I suspect it will depend on how much you wind it up. It's also nice to look for a good shop that warranties the alignment for 1 year or more and are willing to tweak it back into spec after you make a trail run: no charge :) Toyota dealers, and Firestone and Good Year shops typically offer this, but perhaps not a the tech to match.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
My dealership said they couldn't do the alignment because of the oversize tires (285/70/17), not because of the DR coilovers.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sorry folks, paper specs are gone, probably in the "paper file" at the alignment shop. I asked ARB for them again and they sent me the Toy specs, so I guess they aren't tweaking them any longer (read: liability.)

I've heard about the over-size tire problem. From what I understand, they don't believe they can get it to spec with the larger tires, so won't warranty their work. IMO, probably have to get a smaller set swapped just for the alignment and it should be close enough for the larger tires to avoid excess wear with regular rotation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts