Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am i the only one who is annoyed by how Toyota is doing thier options packages now? I was just messing around on their site "building" a tacoma, just to see how much it would run compared to the SWAG estimates for FJC pricing.

1) i CANNOT get what i want from the dealership, they dont build it (3RZ (170hp 4 cyl) 5 speed extra cab with the TRD e-locker). not to mention the fact that if you follow the little "path" to the end it forces you to take "option package A" for $2125, which i dont want!

2) in order to get the TRD locker you must get the entire off-road package and you have to get the V6, and then the TRD package is $4405!

all of this means that the $21,660 base vehicle i want would end up costing me $27,620 = $6000 worth of crap i dont need

Granted, i havent bought a new car, ever, so i may be wrong about how this works (i really hope so), but thats NUTS!

anyway, to get to the point, i really hope wish toyota would let us buy vehicles with a-la carte options. if i just want the locker, just sell me the locker. if i just want cruise, just sell me cruise. i dont care if i have to special order it, i will gladly wait a few months to get exactly what i want.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You are not alone :( Unfortunately, that's how Toyota and many others make their money :( Very low starting price but with a few options checked off... Before you know it, you are nowhere close to the starting price. And of course those few options just happen to be in different packages, packages they claim that will save you money :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, we bought a Sienna last year, what started out to be a $25k minivan for the kids ended up costing over $40k :eek: All because of two options we must have: dual power sliding doors & back up cameras.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I think there will be more options concerning the FJ. This thing has the legacy of Land Cruiser to up-hold and they are really trying to get to our demographic. If we say, "SCREW YOUR PACKAGE DEALS," I would expect them to accomodate our NEEDS. It seems ridiculous that they would put this much effort into gaining our business only to turn us away because we have to buy 12K worth of packages to get exactly what we want.

From the conversations I had with Toyota reps at the afterparty, they really seem to want our business. They seem to be paying attention to our forum and if we speak loud enough, they might do whatever they can to make us happy. It looks like we will have to wait and see.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really hope so, otherwise i will end up just buying the base 4x4 and adding aftermarket bits like the locker from aftermarket companies, warranty be damned, because it will save me $6500 (as in the tacoma example). I would much rather toyota got my money and i got didn't void my warranty.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I would like to not void my warranty as well, but I won't let them bully me into buying $12K worth of package options just to get what I actually want while having to pay for a whole bunch of crap I could care less about.

From what I understand though, in most cases, you can get whatever you want as long as you let Toyota do the installation you shouldn't void your warranty unless you are doing something to the vehicle that your warranty won't support, i.e., twin turbos, custom mods like that...

I don't have any issue with letting them install what I want on a base model as long as I don't have to buy a bunch of excess crap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Percy said:
I don't have any issue with letting them install what I want on a base model as long as I don't have to buy a bunch of excess crap.
Same here, just let me get the things I want, nothing else.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Toyota, are you listening? I fully agree that Toyota is one of the worst when it comes to options. The option packaging is the marketing department at it's best! They know what the most popular options are, and then they "bundle" and "package" other crap you don't want with it. I hate it!!!
Try ordering a base Pre-Runner Double Cab Tacoma with a manual tranny and locking differential. Good luck...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I hope that they are paying attention. WE DON'T WANT STUPID PACKAGES!

We should be able to go in and circle our color, pick our gadgets and be done. We shouldn't have to get 15 different packages because we want a receiver hitch = towing package, 33" BFG AT's = offroad package, rack system with lights = touring package, alloy wheels = sports package...

That's so lame.

We should be able to say we want yellow 6-speed manual 4x4 with the ARB bumper, a winch, offroad lights and the rack and be charged for only the bumper, the winch and the lights.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yep, you guys hit the nail on the head. Dont give us stupid options packages that supposidly save us money, leave that to the lexus crowd.

i would gladly pay a little more than it is worth just to be able to get only the TRD locker, because in the end im actually saving money by not paying 4450 for a bunch of options i dont want just to get the $700 locker .

And whats the deal with not being able to get the TRD package with the 3RZ (2.7 I4) tacoma 4x4? the 22re (of which the 3RZ is a derivative) is what made toyotas reliability reputation what it is today, dont people want to wheel economocal reliable compact trucks any more? Get with the program toyota.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So when the sales guy says I really need the "Vehicle Protection Package" for the FJC he won't be talking about an extra skid plate? HaHa.
Memo to Toyota: We don't want options that should be provided with the basic vehicle, just so the dealer can make more money on 50% mark up dealer installed "options." For instance, the information display for the blue FJC at SEMA calls out the rear door storage as a "Genuine Toyota Accessory." It's a nice feature but it looks like it ought to be a basic part of the vehicle to me. And what's a Door Sill Protector? Didn't see something that looked like that in any of the photos. How much is that going to cost?

If I can get a fully equipped FJC for under $30K then I won't even haggle over this stuff. But if Toyota is going to let the dealerships try and milk me with $200 this and $400 that then I'll haggle until the cows come home and maybe not even buy one for a while. It's the worst thing about buying a new vehicle and I've bought several new Toyotas. Their options packaging is a rip off. Let's start a poll to see how much they are going to charge for the rear door storage.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Truly, they just need to let us customize them ourselves and offer components instead of packages.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I fully agree. Just check out the options on a new base 2WD pre runner Tacoma Double Cab...You want a 6-speed manual? Not available. The bulletproof 2.7L 4-cylinder? Can't have it. PLEASEToyota, don't pull this option bull.... with the new FJ.

7188 2WD Pickup 4D 5 ft (Auto) 19,975.00 22,040.00
Destination Charge 605.00 605.00

BASE MODEL PRICE WITH DESTINATION CHARGE
(Mfr's Effective Date 11-1-05 Revised) 20,580.00 22,645.00

ENGINES
--- V6, 4.0 Liter Std. Std.

ACCESSORY PACKAGES
Z1 Accessory Pkg, Preferred (PIO) 136.00 217.00
Includes Door Sill Protectors, First Aid Kit & F&R Floor Mats.

C7 Convenience Pkg (PIO) 478.00 726.00
(N/A w/Bed Rug-2D or Tube Steps-R3) Includes Exhaust Tip by Valor, Running Boards, Front Skid Plate & Spare Tire Lock.

OC Off-Road Pkg, TRD • Base & PreRunner w/5' Bed 2,445.00 3,045.00
(N/A Base & PreRunner w/6' Bed) Includes SR5 Pkg #2 Plus Limited Slip Rear Axle, Badging, Graphics, (1) Additional Power Outlet, Sport Bucket Seats, Bilstein Shock Absorbers, Off-Road Suspension, (5) P265/70R16 Tires & Alloy Wheels.

B4 Option Pkg B, Extra Mile (PIO) 455.00 720.00
(Available Only in Gulf States) (Std w/Option Pkg C-C4 & D-D4) (Req's Off-Road Pkg-OC or Sport Pkg #1-PY or #3-PM) Includes Fabric Guard, Floor Mats w/Door Sill Protectors, RS3200 Security System & Spare Tire Lock.
C4 Option Pkg C, Extra Mile (PIO) 1,068.00 1,554.00
(Available Only in Gulf States) (N/A w/Exhaust Sytem-BS, Off-Road Pkg-OC or Sport Pkg #1-PY or #3-PM) Includes Option Pkg B-B4 Plus Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip & Wheel Pkg-A1.
D4 Option Pkg D, Extra Mile (PIO) 818.00 1,259.00
(Available Only in Gulf States) (N/A w/Exhaust System-BS) (Req's Off-Road Pkg-OC or Sport Pkg #1-PY or #3-PM) Includes Option Pkg B-B4 Plus Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip & Chrome Running Boards.
E4 Option Pkg E, Extra Mile (PIO) 1,194.00 1,730.00
(Available Only in Gulf States) (N/A w/Exhaust System-BS, Off-Road Pkg #1-OC or Sport Pkg #1-PY or #3-PM) Includes Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Fabric Guard, Floor Mats w/Door Sill Protectors, Chrome Running Boards, Spare Tire Lock & Wheel Pkg-A1.
XT4 Protection Pkg, Toyo Guard (PIO) 159.00 619.00
(Available Only in Southeast Region) Includes Exterior Paint Sealant, Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner, Undercoating/Sound Shield, Fabric Protector & Permavin/Glass Etch Theft Deterrent.
XT7 Protection Pkg Plus, Toyo Guard (PIO) 231.00 699.00
(Available Only in Southeast Region) Includes Exterior Paint Sealant, Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner, Undercoating/Sound Shield, Fabric Protector & Permavin/Glass Etch Theft & Roadside Assistance.
PY Sport Pkg #1, TRD • Models w/5' Bed 2,586.00 3,220.00
(N/A Models w/6' Bed) (Std w/Sport Pkg #2-PM) Includes Limited Slip Rear Axle, Power Door Locks, Fog Lights, Graphics, (1) Additional Power Outlet, Sport Bucket Seats w/Driver's Lumbar Support, Bilstein Shock Absorbers, Sport Suspension, (5) P265/65R17 Tires & Alloy Wheels.
TJ Sport Series (PIO) • PreRunner 2,299.00 2,499.00
(Available Only in Gulf States) (N/A Base) (Contents Not Yet Available)
SL SR5 Pkg #2 1,220.00 1,525.00
(Std w/Off-Road Pkg-OC) (Contents Not Updated to Current Model Year Specifications) Includes Badging, Color-Keyed Front Bucket & Chrome Rear Bumper, Power Door Locks, Keyless Remote Control Entry System, Fog Lights, Chrome Grille Surround, Driver's Lumbar Support, Dual Power Mirrors, Dual Visor Vanity Mirrors, Color-Keyed Overfenders, Speed Control, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel, Variable Intermittent W/S Wipers, Sliding Rear Window w/Privacy Glass & Power Windows.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Holy crap, I almost had a ceizure trying to read through all that corporate garbage. With any luck they will let us do what WE want rather than force us into package crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts