Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok guys took my ride to change oil at dealership........after they were done they ran it through the car wash for me, and broke the glass on my side mirror :( well I have my side mirrors painted and didnt want a whole new assembly as I would have to paint and rip the door apart again.......so they are going to order the mirror and black plastic assembly that popped out and broke.....here is a pic and then I will ask my question(pic borrowed from these boards for question) the below piece and mirror basically came off(unsnapped some how) fell and the mirror shattered

I was told by the tech that there is no way to just pop this piece back in as it will break the glass 100%.......I was told "We have never been able to do it without breaking the mirror because you have to apply pressure to put it on and it snaps the mirrors every time" uhhh ok.......I think I remember just snaping these back in after I painted my mirrors a while back......doesnt the above piece just snap right in? or do I have to break down the door panel and pull it off to put it on?? I did this mod a while ago and dont remember....but it looks like it just snaps back on

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
apparently it doesn't just snap in if it popped off eventually...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I accidentally knocked one out at one time, it snapped back for me? Just try being gentle and slide the upper in first, then snap the bottom on.

That totally sucks though... Next time, change it yourself so those turds don't mess your junk up. Last time I had mine in the stealership, it came back with the window trim mauled up. :flame:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I am really surprised that they know you removed them to paint them and aren't giving you a hard time that removing them might have been the reason for them to break.

You can look at the install of the heated mirrors thread. I believe they removed just the mirror and didn't break anything.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nah they didnt give me a hard time because the tech told me a part from the car wash smacked the mirror and busted it off....he watched it happen

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just finished removing my mirrors to install heated mirrors/muth turn signals. They pop off, and pop back on. The upper middle center of the backing plates have 2 tabs that slide into the mounting plate on the mirror. Once you have them in, gently apply pressure across the center section of the mirror, and it will pop back into place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts