Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

This is my first step on my 1,000 mile journey to FJ ownership. (Actually, I've already scoured numerous threads and have had quite a few questions answered, but I haven't been able to find anything on this topic.)

Anyhoo... I won't be in a position to pick up a rig for another couple of months. By then the rebate period will have expired and I suspect the killer deals on new will be few and far between. Thus, I'm pricing/researching the used market. There are a number of attractive rigs in my region (PacNW) that are CPO and I'm wondering if they're really any better than any other PO rig?

I've been to the Toyota Certified site and aside from warranties and some basic roadside assistance it really looks like a bunch of marketing fluff. (To be clear, this is by no means an indictment of Toyota or any other CPO program -- it's more a commentary on contemporary sales & marketing practices.) Is there really anything substantive to the Toyota CPO program? Are the inspections really all that stringent? I've seen the phrase "refurbish if needed": is that nothing more than a euphemism for "color it in with a Sharpie?"

I ask all of this because there's one in particular that has my eye. Unfortunately, it's too far away to go kick tires, but if it's still available in a couple of months I'd be willing to take a train/bus/puddle jumper to go get it provided I was assured that it would fulfill my expectations upon arrival.

Thanks to all of the forum members for sharing their insights and experiences throughout the FJ Forum -- it's been a ton of fun taking it all in the last week or so!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
toyota certified just means toyota knows the repair history of the vehicle (usually all repairs and work where done by selling dealer) so they can extend the factory warrenty to you for up to seven years and 100k miles from original purchase date of the vehicle, all for a price of course $1500 to $2000
I have bought three toyota certified cars and I drilled the buisness manager pretty hard on what this program is all about, got my last one free because I bought two previous ones.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Here in Texas it means "this used car costs just as much a s a new one".
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:​

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Lee (1911) cracks me up.

If it was me, buying an FJ for the first time, I'd keep my eye on the forum for somebody with a vehicle with a history people "know" with a previous owner with a track record of good maintenance - and buy one that way rather than through a stealership.

The forum provides a "community" in which we tend to know who beats the crap out of their rigs and who doesn't. You might also get some very cool mods to your new FJ at a smoking bonus price.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's a marketing gimmick. It's a $500 add on that extends the powertrain warranty to 100k and adds roadside assistance for a couple years.

When I bought mine I had them "certify" it because they were offering 1.9% financing on certified pre owned and the best my bank could do was 5.5%. The "certification" process involved the salesman slapping a certified pre owned sticker on the window. No extra inspection or any of the other crap they tell you.

If it improves financing options, then it's worth it. Not worth it for just the warranty/roadside, imo.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's a marketing gimmick. It's a $500 add on that extends the powertrain warranty to 100k and adds roadside assistance for a couple years. The "certification" process involved the salesman slapping a certified pre owned sticker on the window. No extra inspection or any of the other crap they tell you.
Then your dealership was not doing their job. A true certification involves over 100 points that must be inspected, repaired/replaced/refilled, then certified. This includes ALL fluids, brakes, tires, glass, electrical motors and items, safety equipment, manuals, KNOWN repair history, and more. The reason why it improves the financing rates is because the bank KNOWS that it is not a piece of crap that they couldn't repo/resell to recover their money if the buyer doesn't fulfill their loan agreement. Provided it is truly certified properly.
That's how we do it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also you could purchase the Platinum warranty which is like a bumper to bumper but goes to 100k miles. I purchased mine for $1250 which I think is worth it for peace of mind to the 100K.

Some people knock it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Also you could purchase the Platinum warranty which is like a bumper to bumper but goes to 100k miles. I purchased mine for $1250 which I think is worth it for peace of mind to the 100K.

Some people knock it.
ONE major repair and that warranty paid for itself. You got a good warranty at a good price. Well done!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Not knocking anyones opinion, but I'm guessing that those that think they're not worth it have never been saved by one.

FWIW - I bought a Honda CRV many years ago - certified. 60K miles great shape blah blah.

Lost the transmission at 80K, had all the fuel injectors replaced when two failed. Saved me about 2 grand total on the truck with a few other things - I sold it when I got to 100K miles and the warranty expired.

It's more than just roadside assistance - if you don't know the history of the vehicle, it can be either a waste of money of you never need it, or a wallet saver if you get a troublesome car/truck.

Your choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 07 with 11,000 miles on it from the stealership. I wanted a certified vehicle with a platinum wraparound warranty. They added the certified vehicle and the wrap around for 1500 bucks. So what did I get? I got basically another 5 years and 89,000 mile factory warranty for 1500 bucks on top of the basic factory warranty. It is worth it to me from a peace of mind stand point. This is my first Toyota. I have owned 5 Fords in a row. Bought the extended warranty and they have all paid for themselves and then some on the Fords. If I ever want to sell this Toyota, the warranty goes with it. This really helps the value of the vehicle when it comes time to sell.

Good luck in your search and hope you find what you are looking for. I sure LOVE my FJ.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I bought my 2007 FJ from Bernardi Toyota in Framingham, MA as a "Toyota Certified Used" vehicle.

In MY experience:

-The impression that they go through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb is bull5h!t. Mine still had the factory spark plugs, a filthy cabin air filter, unchanged oil, nearly empty windshield washer fluid, and a rear cargo area full of sand. The best part of all this was the huge yellow sticker on the rear glass that beamed "SERVICED."

-The price on the extended warranties appear to be negotiable, especially from dealer to dealer. I paid $1350 to warranty mine bumper to bumper until 7 years/100,00 miles. Others here have paid less, and still others more.

-Based on the (IMHO unfounded) "faultless" Toyota reliability reputation, you absolutely SHOULD NOT need one of these warranties. So, if the dealer is trying to sell you a Toyota, which is supposedly one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, why the heck would you also need them to sell you a $500-$2000 warranty??? The answer rhymes with p-r-o-f-i-t !

-Being completely honest, I bought mine simply for the peace of mind knowing that I would put a ton of miles on it and that parts would be MUCH more expensive than the previous (American) cars I have owned. Nothing major has happened since the truck passed 36k miles, but the airbag in the passenger side seat did go bad the night I drove the truck home (with ~34,500 miles on the odo). Had this happened beyond the warranty I would have been screwed, since the remedy was to replace the entire seat! I've heard of others paying as much as $3000 to replace a seat with the built-in airbag!

-Bear in mind that the CPO already gives you an extended powertrain warranty, so adding the bumper-to-bumper may or may not be cost effective for you. It was to me since none of the suspension or emissions components are included in the powertrain coverage of the CPO plan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts