Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is true for non-niche vehicles: Kia, Mitsubishi, every Dodge that isn't a diesel. Problem is that the Jeep is a niche vehicle. What other company makes a convertible that can offroad? Nobody.

Mine was a TJ, my brother had a later TJ. Both were pieces of junk.

Jeep's reliability problems didn't start with the JK:

JD Power Vehicle Dependability Survey:
2011 - Jeep, 2nd worst
2012 - Jeep, 3rd worst
2013 - Jeep, 4th worst
2014 - Jeep, 4th worst
2015 - Jeep, 3rd worst

The only thing saving the brand's resale is the Wrangler, and only because it's a niche vehicle. That's the only vehicle Jeep has on the list. All four of Toyota's body-on-frame 4x4's were on the list last year, down to 3 this year because they discontinued the FJ.
Yes, my TJ Unlimited was a dual top model, but I didn't buy my TJ because it was a convertible, I bought it because it was a 4.0 TJ with the longer body, and EASILY modified. Only issue I ever had with it was a frozen caliper, and that was my fault because 99% of my offroading is on the beach. Damn sand gets EVERYWHERE. It had more miles on the beach than it did on the highway, and not one speck of rust to be found. Never had any other person with a Wrangler complain either. It's a big beach buggy vehicle around here. Only "complaint" I ever heard was about storage space, and the lack of power from the 4 banger models, that's it. As far as "saving" the brand, the Grand Cherokee's are holding their own and are everywhere on the road too. Everyone has had their experiences and issues. Unfortunately, yours and mine are complete opposites. I like Jeeps, but I like the FJ as well. They both have their pros and cons. No one vehicle can perfect for everyone.

Jeep died in 2007 as far as I'm concerned. I have no issues with my 2005 Wrangler that is jeeps fault mostly just stuff I break doing what I love.
Nice rig!! I agree, 2007 was the funeral for the Wrangler model. Hopefully the techs and designers wake up and redesign it the way it should be. Unfortunately the new JK's are everywhere and look to be selling rather well, so a complete redesign does not seem to be in the immediate future:frown

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
A buddy of mine brought my attention to this thread and I've really enjoyed the comments so much. What I've never understood about it is people complain about Toyota, Jeep etc. not bringing their efficient overseas diesels over to this country. We take the time and initiative to do it and absorb the development costs, and people roast us at the stake for it. Ironically, these are the same guys that 90% of the time have $15k in tires/wheels and bumpers that do nothing but kill their mileage and stress their drivelines to the point of repeated failure. But, they're definitely experts that can (and do) pick apart what we're doing at every conceivable point. Comments like "Hey, you guys are crazy because it'll take X number of years to pay off the conversion on fuel savings" or "$25k is way too much money" but have literally NOTHING to compare it to. The curious thing to me is that they're really comparing it to is an artificial number they created of what they "think" something like this should cost. Certainly not based on what things actually cost.

Sure the conversions garner substantially better fuel economy, but that is not the ONLY reason to doing a conversion like this. Secondly, what are you comparing the pricing to? JK Hemi swaps are well over what we charge and get neither the fuel economy nor the longevity and you're stuck with unleaded gas. People lose sight of the fact that we're converting relatively new vehicles to a completely different fuel type with a powertrain that wasnt designed to be there. This is not an engine replacement, but a complete powertrain retrofit. Our cost alone on the engine with transmission all accessories, wiring, ECU, radiator etc. is around $14k WITHOUT shipping. We have to buy complete vehicles overseas and strip them down in order to get all the necessary hardware for the conversion. Then, once we get the parts here, we have to completely dismantle the vehicle and put it all back together. We also have to completely re-wire the engine harness with over 250+ wires. Is it expensive? Absolutely! We dont market these to guys looking to save a few bucks at the pump. Is it for everyone? Heck no. But, show me ANY engine swap that provides this level of performance, multi-fuel capable, with this kind of longevity AND the fuel economy benefits in our price range. It doesnt exist.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I am not bashing. There is no doubt that this is a cool swap.
Definitely not for everyone, me included.

The guys complaining that Toyota will not bring a Diesel and complaining about the cost of this swap is the fact that if Toyota did bring a Diesel motor over here it would not cost an extra $25K to the price of the vehicle. Everyone knows that the cost of a custom swap is going to cost more.

The FJ Motor is a very reliable motor with decent HP, Torque and MPG and proven to go over 300,000 miles. Our stock 2014 is getting over 20 mpg regularly. So this diesel swap is NOT doubling the MPG.

The Hemi swap in the jeep is because people know that the wrangler motor is SH*T. It is one that they pulled out of Chrysler mini vans line and just threw it into the 2007 wranglers because they did not have a better/cheaper option at the time. People do the Hemi swap to get something a bit more decent with a ton of more power. MPG is really not their intention on that swap for sure.

·
Registered
468 Posts
A buddy of mine brought my attention to this thread and I've really enjoyed the comments so much. What I've never understood about it is people complain about Toyota, Jeep etc. not bringing their efficient overseas diesels over to this country. We take the time and initiative to do it and absorb the development costs, and people roast us at the stake for it. Ironically, these are the same guys that 90% of the time have $15k in tires/wheels and bumpers that do nothing but kill their mileage and stress their drivelines to the point of repeated failure. But, they're definitely experts that can (and do) pick apart what we're doing at every conceivable point. Comments like "Hey, you guys are crazy because it'll take X number of years to pay off the conversion on fuel savings" or "$25k is way too much money" but have literally NOTHING to compare it to. The curious thing to me is that they're really comparing it to is an artificial number they created of what they "think" something like this should cost. Certainly not based on what things actually cost.

Sure the conversions garner substantially better fuel economy, but that is not the ONLY reason to doing a conversion like this. Secondly, what are you comparing the pricing to? JK Hemi swaps are well over what we charge and get neither the fuel economy nor the longevity and you're stuck with unleaded gas. People lose sight of the fact that we're converting relatively new vehicles to a completely different fuel type with a powertrain that wasnt designed to be there. This is not an engine replacement, but a complete powertrain retrofit. Our cost alone on the engine with transmission all accessories, wiring, ECU, radiator etc. is around $14k WITHOUT shipping. We have to buy complete vehicles overseas and strip them down in order to get all the necessary hardware for the conversion. Then, once we get the parts here, we have to completely dismantle the vehicle and put it all back together. We also have to completely re-wire the engine harness with over 250+ wires. Is it expensive? Absolutely! We dont market these to guys looking to save a few bucks at the pump. Is it for everyone? Heck no. But, show me ANY engine swap that provides this level of performance, multi-fuel capable, with this kind of longevity AND the fuel economy benefits in our price range. It doesnt exist.
You've also added a ton of suspension and exterior upgrades. I think it's priced well. If I wasn't in love with my FJ so much I'd seriously consider it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You've also added a ton of suspension and exterior upgrades. I think it's priced well. If I wasn't in love with my FJ so much I'd seriously consider it.
We didn't add them, the customer we purchased this vehicle from had them installed prior to the sale.

Everyone knows that the cost of a custom swap is going to cost more.
I wish that were the case as most people's first response on this thread has been attacking the price - not the cool factor or any other benefits for that matter. My point in mentioning the Jeep Hemi conversions was not that they have no merits, but to highlight that in our market (e.g. professional companies performing modern engine conversions) they are charging far more than we do when the only real benefit is more power.

·
Registered
69 Posts

I checked with a Toyota Dealer to see what they would charge for a complete engine swap for my '07. Not that I'm anywhere near the end of engine life or having serious troubles. but just to see. 18K and some change parts and labor. I just started thinking, gosh for another 7K I could get a diesel conversion that would last about twice as long. It's certainly made me rethink this if I continue to hang on to this vehicle.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
A few things I don't think anyone keyed up on this point.

I recently raced Diesel Toys owners Turbo Diesel Tacoma ( 2013 model I think ) with my Wife's V8 4runner. Some of you have rode in or tried racing her rig ( even a few SCed FJs that have felt that sting ). Her Rig is no 10 second vehicle but 90% of the time it beats V8 mustanges. She beat Diesel Toys rig but only because in 4-Hi he was roasting front and rear tires and never got her rear bumper infront of his front.

The Torque and HP gained from the Diesel Swap ( with chip ) blows the stock power train out of the water. I have seen many rigs struggle to turn 35" tires without a regear.

For all of you claiming 20+ MPG out of a modified rig ( Who cares about stock really? ) I would love to see it. To date I have not found anyone who beats me at MPG and have well over 20+ people that will vouche. To date we don't know why mine gets the MPG it does ( have some speculations ) but turning 35's ( yes that is accounted for and yes on 373 gears ) , 4.5" of lift roughly , Full Skids , Rack , Bumpers , etc... I can still get 21+ MPG. When Diesel Toys showed up at Hidden Falls his Scan Gauge was actually showing 39.8 mpg average over 3 hours drive!!! I don't care if he was babying the crap out of it he was getting Prius gas mileage with a modified rig ( 3" lift ,33s , full skids ).

If all you care about is gas mileage you shouldn't have bought an FJ but this is a very neat mod. Will it pay off with gas costs no. Will it pay off in Torque , longevity , cool factor , etc.. Don't know but Id like to think so. Also I've been seeing stock rigs with 30k miles sell for $35k + lately. I've even seen some people on this forum post there modified rigs for more than that. A modified rig with a complete swap already done , you're basically buying someone else's rig and getting a free swap out of it.

If I didn't already have 2 rigs eating my pocketbook I would totally buy this ( minus the color maybe but it's not like that would be a deal breaker ). Sorry Ill get off my soap box now. Just tired of people crying how they want a diesel and when someone offers it they all put down the idea.

Diesel Toys if you read this , my hat is off to you for trying to bring something new and unique to the states. I may not be able to afford your services , but I definitely hope to see more rigs converted by you in the future. Wish I would have had the chance to wheel with you that one day we meet at Hidden Falls.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
A few things I don't think anyone keyed up on this point.

I recently raced Diesel Toys owners Turbo Diesel Tacoma ( 2013 model I think ) with my Wife's V8 4runner. Some of you have rode in or tried racing her rig ( even a few SCed FJs that have felt that sting ). Her Rig is no 10 second vehicle but 90% of the time it beats V8 mustanges. She beat Diesel Toys rig but only because in 4-Hi he was roasting front and rear tires and never got her rear bumper infront of his front.

The Torque and HP gained from the Diesel Swap ( with chip ) blows the stock power train out of the water. I have seen many rigs struggle to turn 35" tires without a regear.

For all of you claiming 20+ MPG out of a modified rig ( Who cares about stock really? ) I would love to see it. To date I have not found anyone who beats me at MPG and have well over 20+ people that will vouche. To date we don't know why mine gets the MPG it does ( have some speculations ) but turning 35's ( yes that is accounted for and yes on 373 gears ) , 4.5" of lift roughly , Full Skids , Rack , Bumpers , etc... I can still get 21+ MPG. When Diesel Toys showed up at Hidden Falls his Scan Gauge was actually showing 39.8 mpg average over 3 hours drive!!! I don't care if he was babying the crap out of it he was getting Prius gas mileage with a modified rig ( 3" lift ,33s , full skids ).

If all you care about is gas mileage you shouldn't have bought an FJ but this is a very neat mod. Will it pay off with gas costs no. Will it pay off in Torque , longevity , cool factor , etc.. Don't know but Id like to think so. Also I've been seeing stock rigs with 30k miles sell for $35k + lately. I've even seen some people on this forum post there modified rigs for more than that. A modified rig with a complete swap already done , you're basically buying someone else's rig and getting a free swap out of it.

If I didn't already have 2 rigs eating my pocketbook I would totally buy this ( minus the color maybe but it's not like that would be a deal breaker ). Sorry Ill get off my soap box now. Just tired of people crying how they want a diesel and when someone offers it they all put down the idea.

Diesel Toys if you read this , my hat is off to you for trying to bring something new and unique to the states. I may not be able to afford your services , but I definitely hope to see more rigs converted by you in the future. Wish I would have had the chance to wheel with you that one day we meet at Hidden Falls.

What has been done to her V84runner? Maybe I should mod the GX if it can get that power.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Decisions that make my head hurt. A 107K miles Franken-truck with no warranty or mechanics outside of this vendors shop for $45K minimum price; or a brand new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with 0 miles, serviced in all Jeep dealers shops, with a 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty, for $5,000 less.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts