Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received the following email from Bill Burke of 4-Wheeling America yesterday--anybody here respond? I understand it's for up to 8 months, 6-7 days a week. If anyone on this forum is fortunate enough to be chosen, maybe he/she can give a weekly update of experience & new info:

To members of our email list - a message from Bill regarding an opportunity with Toyota:

Hello out there in 4-wheel drive land!! Toyota is looking for a few great drivers with good people skills for the introduction tour of the new FJ Cruiser.

Those that are chosen will be paid to drive a new FJ Cruiser around a region of the USA to many 4-wheel drive events and Toyota dealerships. They will be responsible for daily driving and getting to the 4WD events like the TLCA and TTORA as well as other club events in that region. Have you been to Paragon, Tellico, Moab, Las Cruces, Tillamook, Ma Bell.? You get my point!

There will be a training event and orientation for those that are chosen. It will cover all the basics and how to handle the new and very capable rig. Traveling will include camping and hoteling, as well as shaking a lot of hands and safely demonstrating how the new FJ Cruiser handles the tough trails around the USA.

This is a lifetime opportunity to get paid to 'wheel!! How cool is that??

Initial qualifications include excellent 4-wheel drive skills as well as an outgoing/sociable personality. Please let me know via return email if you are interested and include your phone number and best times to reach you. Serious inquiries only please!!

Best regards,
Bill Burke

Bill Burke's 4-Wheeling America
Premier Training & Guided Trips
www.bb4wa.com * [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops. Forgot to include this second email I rcvd today:

Wow!! What a response to our request! Thank you one and all.

To clarify, anyone involved with this project will be on the road approximately 8 months,
6 to 7 days per week; obviously, a full-time commitment. It won't be just a week or a weekend of fun!

It may take a couple or a few months for this project to take shape as it goes through the bureaucracy because there are other agencies besides us involved. Until that time, I will have no further information.

To reiterate, serious inquiries only which means that you can make this time commitment (you won't be going home every night or every weekend). Thank you again for your interest.

Best regards,

Bill

Bill Burke's 4-Wheeling America
Premier Training & Guided Trips
<http://www.bb4wa.com> www.bb4wa.com * <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Is that for real?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Don't even think about it Percy. You're not going to be able to keep your gal and afford the FJC if you quit your jobs to run off on an eight month joy ride.

But maybe you could telecommute...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
You're no fun. It's only 8 months... I bet I could even get work to let me go on the grounds that I take notes and write a story once a week or something...

THINK OF HOW MUCH FUN THAT WOULD BE! Talking truck with enthusiasts in random locations all over the country! That would totally kick ass.

Did you talk your wife into letting you go?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Did Percy say:
Talking truck with enthusiasts in random locations all over the country! That would totally kick ass.
That's what I thought he said. Doesn't he do that everyday right here at fjcrusierforums.com?

The wife says I can go, but I can't come back. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Percy, this is definitely for real. I attended the Greenville event where I met and spoke with Bill Burke. He was one of the driver/consultant's Toyota hired to drive the FJ over the Rubicon. He's driven 4wd vehicles all over the world and was a member of the winning Camel Trophy team. I think you should do it. Unfortunately, my employment situation wouldn't allow me to be even consider it... and I'm a novice off road driver. Orrrrrr, I can fake my way through the screening process, quit my job, sell my house, be an FJ bum for 8 months, then come back to reality to face a shattered life. But after living the FJ life style for 8 months, what more? I can die a happy man. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
644 Posts
What are the chances that I'd be accepted. Seriously now, I have a random warehouse job that doesn't mean jack, and I LOVE to go four wheelin'. I'm 21 and I live in PA. What are the requirements and location of their base of operations? Should I be excited?
Tone.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Tone, if reran is correct - this IS your opportunity of a lifetime. DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

I mean, what's the worst that can happen. You go out for 8 months camping and hotelling it all over the country on someone else's tab AND you get to collect a paycheck for it and all you have to do is show the same enthusiasm that you have here!

If my woman and my dog wouldn't disown me for going - I WOULD DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT. I don't think I meat the qualifications though and sadly, this is going to prove to be my most profitable year of employment in the history of Percy. That, and I have all these huge goals that are being fulfilled as we speak - so, sadly, I don't even think I will apply. But, if the price was right - dogs are cheap, women are replaceable, and how about those braggin' rights!?

Honey, if you're readin' this - I mean all of it in the NICEST possible way and no, I don't really think you are replaceable. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Tone you could sell your "youngness" and promote the fact that you can "connect" with the "young male" market and whatever they keep saying. Now that I think about it you would be better off as a girl but I think Toyota has all those jobs filled. :) Go for it Tone and umm you can use us as references. You are a senior member :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
Alright, you talked me into it percy...but how do I apply for it?
I would brag about that until I died. That would be so awesome. I would consider homocide for a chance like that. =P

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
in four posts, that is... so hurry up and respond already... the burning desire of all who post here depends upon this. NOW DO IT!

Come on, a couple of days ago you were wondering how you were going to pay for your FJ. I'm thinkin' the universe just answered that question. Now how long are you going to wait?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I will email Burke about it, other than that I don't know how or where to apply...or who to shout at and say LEMME IN!!!! =)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dude if you’re working for Toyota not only would you get an FJ for free during your working time, but you would also qualify for Toyota A Plan, that is $200 over Toyota cost i.e. you would knock about 4-5K off the MSRP price.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Okay, now I ask you - WHY DO WE NOT GET THE A PLAN.... I mean, here we are, bustin' ass everyday passing on the information, bringing in more enthusiasts. Inciting riot. Risking unemployment and divorce....

I totally believe we should get some love from Toyota for all of our hard work. Maybe hard is too strong of a word...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would be envied among thousands.....but it may require first aid certifications...in the case...I can pretend that thousand envy me. I have no certs. or leet skills other than my innate ability to drive anything anywhere, and conquer any obstacle in my path. Hope I don't get shut down, I'm all jumpy now, it's like christmas!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would sell your ability to learn quickly and do what they ask. Remember the older they are the more entrenched/crotchety some people are, young and pliable are good traits if they want someone who can learn to "teach safety their way". You got a good shot just you know don't misspell Bill or Burke in the e-mail and it wouldn't hurt to call and show how serious you really are. Remember if you don't have much 4x4 time you can always show the friendly outgoing handshaking ability since I bet most guys are going to play it cool and push their many years of 4x4 time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Oh yeah, definately. I am the coolest guy on the block...if I were any cooler I'd be frozen. =) And I definately know my way around trails, and I love to learn. If they end up not requiring a bunch of skills and whatever, and the list of people that want the job isn't a mile long...I'd say I have a good shot. And I bet I'd have a better chance at it if some of you personally sent him an email recommending me for the job. =) You said call him...was there a phone number somewhere that I missed? Cuz I'd call the guy right now to tell him I wanted in, lol.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Mappelman's right. It's not all about knowing everything. It's about a willingness to learn to do it correctly, and to share your experiences with newbies. I mean, it sounds like the gig is all about preaching to the unbelievers. The truck is going to do all the work. All you have to be able to do when it boils down to it is shake hands, be personable, and answer questions without sounding like your parents were related prior to marriage.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You guys are the best..../tear. I never met a group so friendly, and maybe one day I will have that chance to meet one, or some of you. At least Percy, I mean you're the closest to PA that I know of. I will do my best to show Mr. Burke I love to learn knew things, and I am as friendly and cool as they get....and my parents are def not related. =)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts