Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Admin
7,020 Posts
I'm all for innovation, just don't make it worse than what we already have just so it can say it's "greener".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Electrifying will get emissions down but I think it will take running turbo diesel or turbo bio diesel with electric assist to achieve emissions, mpg, and power needed for offroad vehicles. I could easily see a larger bore 4 cylinder like a 2.7 to 3.5 turbo diesel in our near future.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You have to wonder where all the electricity needed to charge all these batteries is going to come from.

Not to mention where all the batteries are going to come from...

and how they'll be shipped.

·
トヨタ Master
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was a given when they installed the 3.5 Atkins motor, its designed for a Hybrid powertrain.
This is already in the current 3rd Gen Tacoma starting in late '15 as the '16 model. It has Atkinson Cycle technology from the Prius already installed and it won't be a hard conversion to the electric/hybrid system on the horizon. I'm pretty sure that's why Toyota is using it now. It was supposed to go into the '17 4Runner but never made it. It is probably from all the complaints about lack of torque and power compared to the 4.0 that we've all come to enjoy. I'm one of those complaints to Toyota. I sold the truck after 3 months of stapling the accelerator to the floor just trying to get anywhere at 7000+ feet in elevation. Maybe with the electric/hybrid solution, these trucks will actually be more worthy of the Tacoma name.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
It will take years to make it near perfect, and it took years to make gas and Diesel engines near what it is now.

Lol, I can Already see the guys on the trail.

Hey what’s the hold up ahead?

Nothing, few guys ran out of juice in their hybrid trucks and they are idling their little 4banger engines and also got the solar panels out and just so you know, it will be 4 more hours before they are good to go.

I am glad I go my Fj.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will take years to make it near perfect, and it took years to make gas and Diesel engines near what it is now.

Lol, I can Already see the guys on the trail.

Hey what’s the hold up ahead?

Nothing, few guys ran out of juice in their hybrid trucks and they are idling their little 4banger engines and also got the solar panels out and just so you know, it will be 4 more hours before they are good to go.

I am glad I go my Fj.

Don't forget the portable wind turbines for night time adventures. :lol:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,077 Posts
You married guys and the ones with kids could bring along small treadmills or bicycles that could be hooked up to the vehicle that would add a charge when the wife and/or kids pedaled or walked...

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,846 Posts
It’ll be an efficient hybrid like Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren and F1’s use where the conventional engine is slaved by an efficient charging system and providing added horsepower when needed but also having a pure electric mode boosting the efficiency standards. I’m pretty pumped to see what they can come up with, imagine a boost of 100 foot pounds to the wheels, of course this my optimism at work also.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I would buy a capable offroad EV in a heartbeat. Tons of buttery smooth torque in a simplified, quiet package. Some pull out solar panels for shade/shelter and your a nomad.

Big no to the hybrid.

As far as how the battery is shipped? It's a one time event. Compared to the 3 1/2 tons of fuel I burn a year in the FJ that is also shipped? 22% of the power from my provider is solar, and climbing. I was a bigger fan of the nuclear plant, cheap power, but solar/hydro/wind is a good second and a big middle finger to the oil production only nations.

Fear not my luddite brothers, gasoline engines will be around for the remainder of your lives, an electric option for the trail is all good. :smile

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I guess I wont be owning any new Toyotas after 2025 :)

Same here. If anything should go wrong,,,,I have to correct myself. “THAT WILL GO WRONG” with those electric motors/system is dealer only.
No mechanic can fix it. I know this for a fact since one of my co worker had a lot of electrical issues with his 2014 Prius.

·
トヨタ Master
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here. If anything should go wrong,,,,I have to correct myself. “THAT WILL GO WRONG” with those electric motors/system is dealer only.
No mechanic can fix it. I know this for a fact since one of my co worker had a lot of electrical issues with his 2014 Prius.

IDK, it's just electricity, it's not rocket surgery. We've been playing with Priuses already and there's not really much to it. Yes, the technology takes time to get a hold on, but the kids who are coming out of automotive tech schools now are grasping concepts that some of us elder mechanics don't necessarily latch right on to. My 16 yr old has taught me much about newer tech. The dealers will always have more info at their fingertips but we'll catch on eventually. It just costs more for us mom-n-pop type shops for the technology to run good diagnostics. We're not going out of business yet. :bigthumb:

·
Admin
7,020 Posts
Of course at -40 batteries lose a whole wack-o power..... so there's that as well...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Would changing to hybrid allow for smaller sized trucks again?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
IDK, it's just electricity, it's not rocket surgery. We've been playing with Priuses already and there's not really much to it. Yes, the technology takes time to get a hold on, but the kids who are coming out of automotive tech schools now are grasping concepts that some of us elder mechanics don't necessarily latch right on to. My 16 yr old has taught me much about newer tech. The dealers will always have more info at their fingertips but we'll catch on eventually. It just costs more for us mom-n-pop type shops for the technology to run good diagnostics. We're not going out of business yet. :bigthumb:

Unfortunately it is much more complicated than that. The electrical system can be simple, but once they add computer software into it so every system can talk with each other, it becomes complicated. So far he has been to the dealer around 9 times, if I can remember correctly. The check engine light comes on and The car goes into a limp mode. Toyota is keep changing parts on that Prius and still happening.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,077 Posts
Unfortunately it is much more complicated than that. The electrical system can be simple, but once they add computer software into it so every system can talk with each other, it becomes complicated. So far he has been to the dealer around 9 times, if I can remember correctly. The check engine light comes on and The car goes into a limp mode. Toyota is keep changing parts on that Prius and still happening.

Maybe they have a deal like Apple to save the battery when it's old so it doesn't just die..... :wink

1 - 20 of 31 Posts